Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are the crowds at the Cup of China so subdued?

Why are the crowds at the Cup of China so subdued?

I've noticed over the last couple of years, that the crowds at the Cup of China seem much quieter in general (Especially in the Dance event!)
    The only time when the crowds explode is when a skater/couple skate the lights out or when a skater/couple from China skates.

Wonder why?

Custom Title
    Your answer is in your last sentence. Explosions and bravos should be reserved for the best.

Custom Title
    I actually respect how its reserved. I dont want people being loud all over the place distracting skaters.

Custom Title
    It might be related to the empty seats, which I didn't expect. I remember last year in Shanghai the stadium seemed almost full.

looks like a small crowd, they're further from the ice (which the way the audio is for this event it's obviously not picking up sound as well as SA and SC did), and isn't it a culture thing?

Custom Title
    If it is, its more of Beijing culture vs. Shanghai culture

The inscrutable Chinese!

Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    They have mainly held this event in Shanghai so it mightve just been a fact that there was a lack of exposure in Beijing to skating. Even though the stadium looked more empty, i think the actual number of people who attended wasn't as low as it appeared.

Banned
    didnt realise this was held in Beiing
    explains the mostly empty seats

also you can also factor cultural
    China and most asian countries are not as extroverted as North Americans

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ... and isn't it a culture thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    The inscrutable Chinese!
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    ... also you can also factor cultural
    China and most asian countries are not as extroverted as North Americans
    The inscrutable/cultural theory strikes me as insupportable.

How do you explain the very audible enthusiasm at skating events in Japan and Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    LOL, great answer.

Custom Title
    The avenue in Shanghai is full because they give free a lot of free tickets to employees in the sponsor company.

Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    The avenue in Shanghai is full because they give free a lot of free tickets to employees in the sponsor company.

well.. that actually sound like a great idea to get those empty seats fulled up

Custom Title
    i'm not sure what's going on. It's not a Beijing vs Shanghai thing; if anything, Beijingers are much more knowledgeable and interested in skating then Shanghainese (and the giving away of free tickets might have had something to do with the events held in Shanghai). I'm not in Beijing now so can't give first-hand knowledge, but I was at every CoC held in Beijing between 2003-2005 and 2008-2010 (same venue as now) and crowds were reasonably substantial and quite lively, especially Friday nights and all Saturday. That was when Samsung was the sponsor. (The competition was moved to Nanjing in 2006, an unnatural location for skating, and Harbin in 2007, a hotbed of skating) due to the closure and renovation of the BJ venue for the Olympics--so I'm not sure about crowds at those events.)

But from what I've seen on the video so far, the competition this year has been lackluster, with skater withdrawals, fewer recognizable "big names" and crappy skating. The people that managed to get to the stands aren't idiots, and probably see there's not much to get excited about. Dance is never a big thing for the Chinese, which is why they tend to schedule it first up of the disciplines, since Fridays due to traffic it's difficult for people to get to the venue before about 19:00.

~high art~
    Probably because they were not impressed by the performances.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    They have mainly held this event in Shanghai so it mightve just been a fact that there was a lack of exposure in Beijing to skating. Even though the stadium looked more empty, i think the actual number of people who attended wasn't as low as it appeared.

Wrong. Shanghai was an aberration location--see my answer above. Beijingers know their skating. It is possible the camera angles aren't capturing the people actually there. This is also a very large venue, 18,000 seats which is really too big for figure skating and will never get filled up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast