Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Ice Dance FD - Cup of China 2013

B/S - that FD is a hot mess. Yuck.

Love love love P/B's FD!

Custom Title
    B/S look like a pair of bats looking frantically for a place to spend the winter.

They might be frantically looking for a top 6 placement in Sochi with this mess.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    b/s look like a pair of bats looking frantically for a place to spend the winter.

They might be frantically looking for a top 6 placement in sochi with this mess.....
    rotflmao!!!

Custom Title
    I am glad you think so too - they are so unattractive - their expressions, style and skating - very unappealing and strange. In the SD they look discombobulated and sloppy. In the FD they are just plain 'off' but their program seems difficult enough to warrant good scores.

B/S look like a pair of bats looking frantically for a place to spend the winter.

They might be frantically looking for a top 6 placement in Sochi with this mess.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I feel you MM. I appreciate both teams, but I find myself cheering for other teams. Even though most write them off, the Shibsibs can count on me to be in their fan stable. Also love Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt.

Outside the U.S. I like Cappellini/Lanotte and Weaver/Poje. Mr. P loves W/P and always requests that I put the "I am sick" FD on YouTube. In fact, I have W/P to thank for my husband coming to appreciate Ice Dance. He's actually excited to see Ice Dance the most out of disciplines when we go to Nationals in a few months!

Looking forward to watching the rest of the FD here. Had a 5k this morning so went to bed early.

ETA: Just watched the top 3 FD.

P/B: That was so lovely. I was captivated for four minutes. This program brings the best of their whimsical style. I really did not care for the Rolling Stones FD last season, so I was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this FD. I think it's their best FD since they did Chaplin in 2011. (The Mummy was OK, and I know they won bronze with it, but still liked Chaplin better). Among the bronze medal contenders, this FD, along with W/P's is tops.

B/S: Oh my. Just when they gained all my respect last season, they had to turn in this FD. I saw it in Ice Star Minsk and it seemed OK, but after viewing it a second time, I can confirm I don't care for it. I'm sure it will improve as the season goes, but all I could think of was this was Faust 2.0: Dark minor key, black costumes. And Bobrova's posture is all slouchy again! Zhulin, WTH?!

C/B: Much better than Finlandia. I really enjoyed it! Very sharp. Still don't like the music cuts, but it was not as distracting to me as Finlandia. And that opening lift Madison was so captivating that I didn't think too much about the fact that the pink dress still doesn't make much sense for a Les Miserables program. I do think it's still a bit frantic in places, but otherwise, they should be happy with their performance here.

Yeah, I think C/B were much better here than at Finlandia (removing his jacket helped, but I think her skirt is a distraction in the lifts--Evan looked like he was about to swallow it at some points!). That said, I have a few caveats: the lifts with the exception of the first one looked labored, it is a bit frantic (but then I always thought Marlie's Phantom was a bit frantic), and frankly I think it is totally the wrong music for them. Zhivago had uberdrama, yes, but there was a softness, a romanticism to it that allowed the two of them to make a real connection during the program, and I think that's completely lost here. I think they should think theatrical, yes, but something without the bombast would work better for them.

And yes, Mrs P, I completely agree with you about B/S. I loved 3/4 of last year's program (the Tosca portion was just the very definition of much too much of muchness), but this program is like the Tosca portion having a panic attack. The choreography is atrocious. When you start a program on a crescendo like they do (with mega uber traumadrama facial expressions to boot), there is only one way for the rest of the program to go and it does: it winds down, down, down then peters out. And I thought the same thing you did: I wanted to tie a stick to Bobrova's back so she would stop hunching over. Probably the biggest disappointment of all the couples I've seen so far this year.

I've never been a big fan of P/B--I for one thought their Chaplin program was maudlin treacle and the less said about Rolling Stones Muzaktica the better--but yes, I thought this was charming. And the French can be so good at charm, can't they? That first lift was spectacular. The program as a whole is a little too "open" and can use more crispness and speed but I do think from what I've seen so far the bronze battle will be between them, C/L, and W/P.

Funniest thing I've heard all day!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I love P/B FD so much I have watched it three times, their joy!

Custom Title
    I *really* dislike C/B's FD tbh... B/S were meh for me again. Their frantic head bobs at the beginning of their FD made me laugh, and not in a good way lol. P/B have another cute and quirky FD, but some of the skating looked a little sloppy to me. It's still eay in the season though, and for sure they looked better than everyone else at CoC. I think W/P and C/L are skating better than P/B at this point in the season, though, as far as the battle for bronze goes.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I love P/B FD so much I have watched it three times, their joy!
    I loved how Tanith said she caught herself smiling watching the program - I agree... you can't not smile when watching... it's a very joyful program and it's not a *fake* joy.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    B/S were meh for me again.
    I took some positive things away from the FD of B/S. No, it's not the best work that we've ever seen from this pair; but for a FD that was put together only a couple of months ago, it's commendable! I think there's a good basic structure there. The music is quite nice. They have a lot of work to do, yes, but I don't doubt for a second that they will do it. I expect that this dance will look very different the next time we see it. Despite its roughness, I preferred it to the FD of P/B--and DEFINITELY preferred it to the FD of C/B, which just seems. . . . not right for that particular duo AT ALL.

For me, only P/B drew me in with their skates. Very happy for them getting the win here. I was surprised overall by the quality of the performances by all the teams...seemed to have less polish and power and preparedness compared to Skate America and Skate Canada.

Custom Title
    ^ This. D/W and V/M are game changers. No one wants to look sloppy next to them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6