Men FS - Cup of China 2013 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men FS - Cup of China 2013

bibi24

Final Flight
The thing with men is the doing a quad allows the skater to do an extra triple jump, so if you land a quad, but pop or double a triple you are back to square one. Kovtun landed two 4S, but he also only landed two 3A and two other triples so, that pretty much only amount to 8 triples worth or points. That will not cut it against skater who land a quad or two and 7-8 triples jumps like Hanyu or Fernandez or Chan.

thanks brah didn't think about this at all :eek::

gmyers

Record Breaker
The thing with men is the doing a quad allows the skater to do an extra triple jump, so if you land a quad, but pop or double a triple you are back to square one. Kovtun landed two 4S, but he also only landed two 3A and two other triples so, that pretty much only amount to 8 triples worth or points. That will not cut it against skater who land a quad or two and 7-8 triples jumps like Hanyu or Fernandez or Chan.

His double toe was supposed to be a quad toe. You are almost like saying drop that and do a flip! And he misses a 3 jump combo but that's also saying do something like a 3 half loop 3 sequence. He did mess up a lot on jumps but also scored big with the 2 quads and 2 triple axels.

gmyers

Record Breaker
thanks brah didn't think about this at all :eek::

I don't understand the point at all! kovtun didn't accomplish all of what he wanted at all! He made a lot of mistakes and this program was not his plan executed to perfection.

Mao88

Record Breaker

lady_bee

Medalist
Hi, it's my first post!!!
Just wanted let you know that Haruka Imai said "it was so hot and made me so tired" in interview.
Maybe, it explained poor performances and Taka's terrible sweat.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It's stupid to send Song Nan to the worlds this year. He is not competitive with very poor basics. Yan Han is way ahead of him and will definitely go to Sochi.

I think that Song was very good before the time he competed in Colorado Springs and got very ill because of the altitude. And was is next season as Rippon crashed into him and caused an injury? Song has not been himself after those two happenings, which is a great pity.

bibi24

Final Flight
Just wanted let you know that Haruka Imai said "it was so hot and made me so tired" in interview.

Welcome!! Thanks for letting us know :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree about Song v. Yan. yan will go to sochi. Welcome Lady Bee . wonder if it was the heat.

What impressed me the most with Han yan was the fact that he had no meltdown. He just got a 90+ score at his 1st senior GP in his home country with lots of cheering before his skate and he seemed really nervous. But he had just 2 mistakes and at the end he managed to win the whole competition. And that at the age of 17. He seemes to be able to control his nerves - and that makes me hopeful for the future.

shine

Record Breaker
After watching Han and Kovtun's programs it is clear to me Han earned every single point he got. Yes, he was nervous and lack of facial expression, but his skating, the flow,the speed, the edges, the body language were almost in par with Patrick Chan. The background became a blur when he skated pass it:) The jumps were big, with good speed in and out. I think Kovtun to Han is like Patrick Chan to Kevin R in Canada in the early years, Kevin is improving. He got the jumps, but the jumps were small and almost come to still at landing, skating is slow and jerky, shallow edges at the best. I'm not trying to put him down, quite a great start in senior competition. I hope he improve his skating skills and his jumps as well. For Han, I wish he will not be crashed by this early success, and I hope he put his 4S out sometime. What's more, I hope he does not give anybody opportunity for the "inflation" as he deserves get big PCS, especially SS and TR, and the choreography/composition are great for both programs. When I ignore the face, I would think it was Patrick Chan skating on the ice. I know this is seemingly compliment could get him in trouble but just can't help to draw the connection. I just wish Han strive to be consistent and reach his full potential.

I think the LP choreography is great,show off Han's skating skill very well. As much as I like Song Nan, Han seems deserve to be sent to the Olympics.

ITA. When I watch Yan Han's skating it just SCREAMS raw talent. From the incredible glide and knees, to the jaw dropping jumps and to his musicality. Bearing in mind that he comes from a country that probably doesn't allow him the same kind of access to top notch coaching, training and facilities as some other more established / richer federations, I think what he is able to do is due to an incredible amount of natural talent. I think given time he will become more polished and it'll be one amazing sight to see (not that it isn't already).

Welcome, Lady_bee! And thanks for the information about the temperature in the rink. That might explain why so many skaters had such unsuccessful performances. Maybe the heat made the ice unusually soft.

Sara

On the Ice

Welcome to the forum!! Regarding the rink, if I remember right it was Frank Carroll who mentioned that there was also some strange smoke in the air inside the rink. The Beijing smog must have invaded the rink haha.

They just showed Dornbush on American TV. He did not do a good job, alas. We have only two spots for men on the U.S. team; he has to up his game.

Impressive guy, though. The announcers said that he was going to major in applied physics in college. Good for him!

ETA: I think Johnny Weir is doing a great job as commentator. He's subdued, generous with praise, tactful about skaters' errors, and informative.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I could not agree more with Johnny's comments about Florent Amodio's choreography. I was just thinking it was not a program with an Olympic feel to it before he said it. And he was just skating to the music without working with the music. I am a fan of Florent's but this one just didn't do it for me. It's a shame since he is so great with choreography.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Amodio single jump was so big it got cheers! Lol. I wonder if that could be done as a transition but it's not it's a single jump. It looks like a flying entry into a spin but straight up so i guess that's a transition version.

lakeside

On the Ice
You keep on repeating the crap... Yeah, Yan's jumps are little, we believe you, LOL.
I thought you're the one who keep on repeating the c*** about many other skaters... Oh well.

Jason Brown is visually slower than the Japanese.
No quad...:mad:
American guys' scores were inflated. Especially Jason Brown.
Takahashi is an embarrassment. No jumps. He should have retired.
It's stupid to send Song Nan to the worlds this year. He is not competitive with very poor basics. Yan Han is way ahead of him and will definitely go to Sochi.
You know what, even though Takahashi's jumps have never been big, they still have more height than Han Yan's jumps. Just based on that alone Takahashi should not retire yet. ;) And I don't know why you think American guys' scores were inflated but Yan's score wasn't inflated. To me Yan lacked Jason and Adam's transitions/artistry and his score was quite inflated compared to American guys as well as Kozuka.

Kozuka's footwork is gorgeous. It really brings out the spirit of the nimble Saint-Saens music. I'm sorry he hasn't had a successful grand prix season.

lakeside

On the Ice
Kozuka's jumps are deteriorating, and I agree with Johnny that his upper body is too stiff, but we have to admire his skating skills and footwork.

Yeah, I was sorry to see the trouble Kozuka was having on the jumps.

On the other hand, wow--Kovtun! Strong and graceful at the same time. Just a masterful performance.

shine

Record Breaker
I thought you're the one who keep on repeating the c*** about many other skaters... Oh well.

You know what, even though Takahashi's jumps have never been big, they still have more height than Han Yan's jumps. Just based on that alone Takahashi should not retire yet. ;) And I don't know why you think American guys' scores were inflated but Yan's score wasn't inflated. To me Yan lacked Jason and Adam's transitions/artistry and his score was quite inflated compared to American guys as well as Kozuka.

What is this crap about Yan's jumps being small that you are spewing? Stop calling black white.