Men FS - Cup of China 2013 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men FS - Cup of China 2013

hurrah

Medalist
I wonder what has happened to Kozu? He was sweating profusely, like he had a panic attack or something...

Kelly

On the Ice
I am reading the protocol and still don't quite figure how the difference in TES between Maxim and Han can be so little. It doesn't make sense

I haven't seen the protocol, but I guess it's the GOE effect. Although there are standards for giving out GOE and PCS, they are still subjective to me most of the time. This is the first time I see Takahiko have 10 points more in PCS than in TES (Dennis and Florent also), but I like that and think he deserves those PCS scores.

lakeside

On the Ice
I really dont understand PCS of Han Yan, I just do not see how he can be closely compared to Kozuka, and in fact beat him. Strange event indeed,
ITA. No way Yan's PCS should be close to Kozuka, let alone beat him... Such home inflation.

Maxim did his jumps, but not well. The air position of his two quads were scarily crooked and a lot of his other jumps had no flow going out. Han Yan, when he lands a jump, always gets +2 GOE or more and deserves it. This is the difference and why PChan has ruled the world for so long.
No, I don't think so. Yan's jumps can't be compared with those of Patrick at all. Patrick's jumps have good height and are usually followed by steps. Today Yan's jumps had little height, his landings were not that good, and there were no steps preceding his 4T and 3A. He also lips but wasn't called and got +1.4 GOE instead. I don't think he deserves the GOEs he got. Plus, when he falls, he almost always underrotates his jumps. Maxim's jumps at least had some height and had better quality and more difficulty than Yan's jumps. Yan got home inflation in both TES and PCS.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I am reading the protocol and still don't quite figure how the difference in TES between Maxim and Han can be so little. It doesn't make sense

Well, lets see

Kovtun rotated 2 quads, 2 triple axels, 2 other triples and a double axel. He didn't have triple flip, loop og toe loop in his program
Yan rotated 1 quad, 1 triple axel and 5 other triples. He didn't have a triple loop in his program

Kovtun probably wanted a +3T back of his quad salchow. He could maximize by doing a 3F+1Lo+3S instead of a 3S+2T late in the program. Not doing the three triples really hurt his base value

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Han Yan´s performance was really enjoyable and he definetely deserved the scores he got.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kovtun was so slow, his back was sooooo hunched, at times he seemed confused as if he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do next. I had no sense that he was even aware that music was playing and he was supposed to be interpreting it. There was no way I could enjoy his performance in any way, as he certainly didn't seem to be enjoying it himself.

At least Yan's skating was to and with his music. He even fell perfectly on the beat! I loved his performance. I felt he was the fair winner.

I usually love Kozuka's skating, but Kozuka didn't seem to be himself this morning. He didn't even seem to be trying that hard midway through the program.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^To me he looked sick. I was afraid he would collapse on the ice. Like the Ladies, this LP was a let down of sorts. Too many mistakes and not one really moving performance. It is weird to think that this might've been the last time we saw Kozuka on the international stage this season.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
It's stupid to send Song Nan to the worlds this year. He is not competitive with very poor basics. Yan Han is way ahead of him and will definitely go to Sochi.

Becki

Medalist
Very nice looking Men podium! Han Yan received the highest PCs of the night....haven't watched his performance yet, but 80+ for his second senior outing is pretty decent.

jan

On the Ice
He reminds me a little of Patrick Chan. Someone is obviously working on his skating skills and he has good flow across the ice. His reach back on the triple lutz reminded me of Donald Jackson.

I think that Han Yan´s performance was really enjoyable and he definetely deserved the scores he got.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
After watching Han and Kovtun's programs it is clear to me Han earned every single point he got. Yes, he was nervous and lack of facial expression, but his skating, the flow,the speed, the edges, the body language were almost in par with Patrick Chan. The background became a blur when he skated pass it:) The jumps were big, with good speed in and out. I think Kovtun to Han is like Patrick Chan to Kevin R in Canada in the early years, Kevin is improving. He got the jumps, but the jumps were small and almost come to still at landing, skating is slow and jerky, shallow edges at the best. I'm not trying to put him down, quite a great start in senior competition. I hope he improve his skating skills and his jumps as well. For Han, I wish he will not be crashed by this early success, and I hope he put his 4S out sometime. What's more, I hope he does not give anybody opportunity for the "inflation" as he deserves get big PCS, especially SS and TR, and the choreography/composition are great for both programs. When I ignore the face, I would think it was Patrick Chan skating on the ice. I know this is seemingly compliment could get him in trouble but just can't help to draw the connection. I just wish Han strive to be consistent and reach his full potential.

I think the LP choreography is great,show off Han's skating skill very well. As much as I like Song Nan, Han seems deserve to be sent to the Olympics.

Becki

Medalist
Kovtun was so slow, his back was sooooo hunched, at times he seemed confused as if he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do next. I had no sense that he was even aware that music was playing and he was supposed to be interpreting it. There was no way I could enjoy his performance in any way, as he certainly didn't seem to be enjoying it himself.

At least Yan's skating was to and with his music. He even fell perfectly on the beat! I loved his performance. I felt he was the fair winner.

I usually love Kozuka's skating, but Kozuka didn't seem to be himself this morning. He didn't even seem to be trying that hard midway through the program.

Just watched Kozuka's performance, his shirt was dripping with sweat during the BEGINNING of his performance. OMG...was he really nervous?

Kozuka reminds me of Oda during 2010 Worlds - his mind is elsewhere :S

gmyers

Record Breaker

I totally agree about kovtun but also this was the best showing by a Russian man since plushenko won COr in 2009. So congrats tarasova.

ironchub

Spectator
I can see the math, I just don't think it's fair. Maxim's only mistake was a 2T. Landed two freckin 4S and two amazing 3A. Han fell, Ur'd a jump, had a sole 3A with a step-out and only 2 combos. And the end result, Max wins the TES score by only 4 points and something. I get it, low levels and GOE for Maxim, but this is too much. And I am not even a fan of Kovtun.

Maxim's BV is not that high at you see, 74.01, while Han's BV is 69.97. Also, GOE for other well executed jumps from Han covered the loss from the 3A step out and 3F fall.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
The thing with men is the doing a quad allows the skater to do an extra triple jump, so if you land a quad, but pop or double a triple you are back to square one. Kovtun landed two 4S, but he also only landed two 3A and two other triples so, that pretty much only amount to 8 triples worth or points. That will not cut it against skater who land a quad or two and 7-8 triples jumps like Hanyu or Fernandez or Chan.

Mao88

Record Breaker