Men FS - Cup of China 2013 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men FS - Cup of China 2013

MasterB

Final Flight
Anyone know why Takahiko was sweating so much? I have never seen anything like it.

lakeside

On the Ice
What is this crap about Yan's jumps being small that you are spewing? Stop calling black white.
No need to yell at others who disagree with you. Yan's jumps cover distance, but there's not enough height. The jumps of Kovtun, Takahashi, and many others have more height than those of Yan.

Anyone know why Takahiko was sweating so much? I have never seen anything like it.
Johnny said Kozuka practiced very much during the warmup? Also it could be due to the material of his costume that made the sweat more obvious.

MasterB

Final Flight
Kovtun should have won this event. The mistake he made in the short was not that big a deal and he was ten points behind Yan. One thing about Yan, is that he flies across the ice. Either way it was a good showing for the top two.

Denis programs are going to be tough to beat once he skates them clean.

shine

Record Breaker
No need to yell at others who disagree with you. Yan's jumps cover distance, but there's not enough height. The jumps of Kovtun, Takahashi, and many others have more height than those of Yan.
Whatever. I've watched Yan since his junior days and his jumping has never been anything short of amazing. I cannot believe you think Kovtun's jumps are better than Yan's. They don't cover as much distance, they are not higher, and they are definitely not entered with nearly the speed and attack as Yan's. Kovtun's quad technique is entirely questionable.
This is Yan's first time competing at a senior international event at home and you are calling his scoring national inflation all over the place. How come I didn't see the same thing happen to all the other Chinese skaters who ever competed at home? Yan has always scored well regardless of where he goes because his jumps ARE impressive and his power and speed top notch. I don't agree that Takahashi's jumps are bigger than Yan's, but why the heck is Takahashi even in this argument? And am I right that this complaint about home advantage is coming from a Chan fan? LOL.

lakeside

On the Ice
I don't agree that Takahashi's jumps are bigger than Yan's, but why the heck is Takahashi even in this argument? And am I right that this complaint about home advantage is coming from a Chan fan? LOL.
You can have your own opinion about their jumps. Takahashi was in this argument because suzukifan27 said all the negative things about him like he has no jumps and he needs to retire. I just answered suzukifan27 since Takahashi's jumps have more height than Han Yan, just based on that alone Takahashi should not retire yet.

And if you're complaining about Takahashi in this argument, then why the h*** did you bring Patrick into this argument?

This is Yan's first time competing at a senior international event at home and you are calling his scoring national inflation all over the place.
This is Yan's first time competing at a senior international event at home, but this is not his first time getting home inflation. A poster mentioned earlier that she has witnessed this inflation happening before when Yan skates in China at a junior international event.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Amodio has always this sort of programs lately that the music changes in the middle to some funky sth tempo, I really miss his Munich program. This one looked like an exhinition. Kovtun's package is very Tarasova, I prefer his short program.
I think Kozuka's program is divine, really didnt see much of it last season, I so want him to do well this season, I think he expresses the music with his body, I dont care if he is introverted, I love his lines.
When Kozula retires I ll be a fan girl of Yan, I prefered his short program though that had more charactere but he is really cool to watch.
Nan Song, I really want him to rebounce, I remember he was on par with Hanyu at Junior Worlds and now he is much behind.

Becki

Medalist
okay just watched Ricky's performance....he's very cute! Haha, but his jumps are very good! He's my favourite for the US team :)

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Ricky was the best one. Or would've been if he had landed a quad. Well, maybe Kotvun was a little better (or would've been). The Chinese guy was dull--I wasn't impressed. What was Florent trying to do? He dressed like a nerd, but it had little to do with his music or whatever theme he was putting forward. He should go back to Michael Jackson, or Prince, or Stevie Wonder, or somebody. He was good at that, it suited him.

lakeside

On the Ice
Amodio has always this sort of programs lately that the music changes in the middle to some funky sth tempo, I really miss his Munich program. This one looked like an exhinition.
ITA. I expected him to change his style and have better programs after changing coaches, but it's all the same again... It's a pity. He really has more talent than what his choreographers could come up with.

Becki

Medalist
Ricky was the best one. Or would've been if he had landed a quad. Well, maybe Kotvun was a little better (or would've been). The Chinese guy was dull--I wasn't impressed. What was Florent trying to do? He dressed like a nerd, but it had little to do with his music or whatever theme he was putting forward. He should go back to Michael Jackson, or Prince, or Stevie Wonder, or somebody. He was good at that, it suited him.

I think Florent's costume was trying to go with the La Vie en Rose music. Yes, if Ricky landed his quads, it would've been a good performance. I think his triple jumps were of pretty good quality.

Haven't watched Han Yan yet - will comment when I do :)

bramweld

Record Breaker
ITA. I expected him to change his style and have better programs after changing coaches, but it's all the same again... It's a pity. He really has more talent than what his choreographers could come up with.
I think with Amodio he does what he wants to do...I just get that feeling. Maybe this is the best he can do for this point in his life maybe?

cutesonic

Rinkside
It seems that you do have a lot of show, considering that you mention the other competitors by their names but for Yan 'the Chinese guy'. I believe everyone should pay a little respect even if you don't like this guy. Right?

Becki

Medalist
To me, Han Yan's performance was pretty good for a senior GP debut. I think his PCs were a bit high given his performance...I would have him in mid-high 70s but not an 80. I am just using other skaters' PCs as a basis for comparison since I am no PCs expert (lol). I see potential in him, he has very smooth skating and nice jumps. I think his programs need more polish and mileage, but definitely a fine skater :)

flaneur

On the Ice
Watched the men's fs earlier this afternoon... let's see what I can remember:

Amodio's fs is terrible. Even if he had his jumps, the program is empty... it felt as if he was doing a practice run through and left out most of the choreography. That said, he is a talented skater and with the Olympics this is a long season (I'm pretty sure he will make it to team France) so I won't count him out yet.

Kozuka's sweat stains was really distracting. I noticed it during SA and was surprised he didn't change it between the two competitions. There's some lovely touches to the program but he looks off (even his vaunted ss wasn't really there today). I guess the Olympic season is getting to him. Hopefully he can regroup between now and Nationals to put up a battle for an Olympic spot.

Ten's recent health issues sounds pretty harrowing. So I'm impressed he was able to get through the competition in pretty good shape (neither injured nor visibly out of breath). The program was definitely made to be Olympic worthy. Although, I feel as if Lori made a Patrick Chan program and gave it to Ten (at times I felt I was watching a mini-Chan). I guess he doesn't have any more events until Sochi? Lots of time to heal up and get the program under his belt.

Han Yan is another skater that reminds me of Patrick (something about the way he skates and jumps). He lost a lot of steam near the end of his program and it felt a bit turgid. I thought his program lacked transitions and complexity, and was surprised at his high PCS. Poo-poohing aside, I really think he has it in him to be the next dominating man in men's figure skating. The jumps and skating skills are there... and there seems to be that intangible charisma to him.

This was the first time I've actually watched Kovtun. While I do see his potential and talent I don't understand why Johnny Weir (who is the NBC commentator) kept saying that he is so strong artistically. He has stiff knees and his body often looks rigid. Something about his skating style reminds me a bit of a cross between Evan Lysacek and Kevin Reynolds (with a dash of Plushenko). That said, this is just my first impression... perhaps he will impressed me with his artistry at his next competition.