Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Ladies FS - Cup of China 2013

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Michelle Kwan, Nicole Bobek, and Joannie Rochette all had beautiful backwards spirals; it's lovely to see Carolina Kostner carry on the tradition.

Custom Title
    Oh, right. Backward spiral....sometimes things (names, labels) are simply that simple! And yes, musesk8r...Nicole and Joannie too had lovely backward spirals...and I quite enjoyed Caro's too.

Custom Title
    If you're describing what I'm envisioning, that might be a Charlotte, a move that Michelle revived from very long ago. I think it was popularized by Charlotte Oelschlagel. (Oh, gee...I spelled it right on the first try!) Charlotte O. was one of the first skating stars. I think she was even in a silent movie. The move is based on a backward spiral but reaches down and touches the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Carolina's dress was the most interesting thing in this dull, dull competition. The same dress! The same bun! The same slow violin music! Please, someone show some individuality.
    Interestingly, they're showing a few of Sonja Henie's movies on a cable network this morning, and in her performances, she almost always wore a hat or headdress. So maybe when Carolina makes her movie, she can revive that outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    If you're describing what I'm envisioning, that might be a Charlotte, a move that Michelle revived from very long ago. I think it was popularized by Charlotte Oelschlagel. (Oh, gee...I spelled it right on the first try!) Charlotte O. was one of the first skating stars. I think she was even in a silent movie. The move is based on a backward spiral but reaches down and touches the ice.
    It wasn't a Charlotte spiral. That is typically done on a near-flat or flat and the skater is in a near or full split with head on their knee. It was a back spiral that she actually allowed to spiral in (hence the original name of the move as that was the tracing on the ice) that as she deepened she put her skating side hand down to touch the ice. Kwan had used this move before as has Hughes and Weir more recently. It's a lovely, simple move that is breathtaking on a tall skater who moves lightening quick over the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It wasn't a Charlotte spiral. That is typically done on a near-flat or flat and the skater is in a near or full split with head on their knee. It was a back spiral that she actually allowed to spiral in (hence the original name of the move as that was the tracing on the ice) that as she deepened she put her skating side hand down to touch the ice. Kwan had used this move before as has Hughes and Weir more recently. It's a lovely, simple move that is breathtaking on a tall skater who moves lightening quick over the ice.
    Ah. Thanks for the correction and the vivid description!

Custom Title
    lovely description mskater93....and it is truly breathtaking. I really enjoyed this in Caro's program, and others who do it well.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19