Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ladies FS - Cup of China 2013

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried yet at this point in the season. If you recall the 2009 Grand Prix prior to the 2010 Olympics, we saw some pretty forgettable skates from all of Kim, Asada, and Rochette, particularly Mao and Joannie. No one was really dominating the Grand Prix Series that year and putting down consistent 6 or 7 triple skates. We certainly didn't see a skate like Julia Lipnitskaia delivered in Canada. Mao Asada skated so badly at her GP events that she did not even qualify for the Grand Prix Final prior to the 2010 Olympics. Rochette did qualify for the Final, but skated very poorly in the LP landing only 3 clean triples to finish 5th out of 6 skaters. Yu-Na Kim ended up winning the Grand Prix Final with only 4 clean triples in her LP. Not really stellar skating from the Olympic medalists that Grand Prix Season at all. There is still a lot of time for these skaters to clean up their acts before the big events.
    hmm.. Yuna set 3 WRs at GP series to Vancouver.
    LP WR(09TEB, 133.**), total scores WR(09TEB, 210.**), SP WR(09SA, 76.**)
    Yuna upgraded 3F3T→3Lz3T at that season.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Right? She skated better at those events than Carolina ever has.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    Yuna upgraded 3F3T→3Lz3T at that season.
    Yeah, but she was beaten by Rachael Flatt in the LP at Skate America when she fell multiple times and like I said, she won the GP Final with only 4 triples and she lost the GPF SP to Miki Ando. What I was implying was that the Olympic medalists in Vancouver were not without flaws in the GP series.

Yeah, but she was beaten by Rachael Flatt in the LP at Skate America when she fell multiple times and like I said, she won the GP Final with only 4 triples and she lost the GPF SP to Miki Ando. What I was implying was that the Olympic medalists in Vancouver were not without flaws in the GP series.
    And those four triples were much harder ones that Carolina ever tried in the past three or four seasons. And that was Yuna at her lowest in her entire career. Four triples in lp.
    Since Vancouver she has always managed to skate a lp with 5 triples at least.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjo24 View Post
    I hope Carolina will improve her programs a lot more throughout the season..... (which we all know she is more than capable of), but I couldn't help but think about Yu-na's Scherezade all throughout Carolina's performance.
    I thought of Michelle's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoWrWD8M_cU This isn't even one of my favorites of Michelle's programs, but the choreography was really well-done, with the big moves and the footwork sequence hitting the notes of the music just right. I especially loved the double falling leafs at the end. Sorry, Lori, you didn't improve on one of Michelle's programs choreo'd by someone else this time.

You think Kostner's costume was hideous, why don't you take a look at Adelina's inappropriate costume

Custom Title
    Carolina was clearly not as prepared as she had hoped. She did look shaky, but it is early. Se has time to develop the programs, and her jumps. I wouldn't count her out straight away like most seem to be doing. Definitely some silly mistakes on elements that were unnecessary. Im sure he will here the criticism of her performance and she will be working hard to improve.

Positives is that she is still trying the lutz and 3f-3t. Programs have potential but will need to develop if they want to be as good as the last 2 seasons programs. Im sure Lori will be watching all of her performances and will make changes or adjustments. Lets hope she is better in Rostelecom so that she can be fully prepared by GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinary person View Post
    You think Kostner's costume was hideous, why don't you take a look at Adelina's inappropriate costume
    Well, Adelina seems to love this kind of see through dresses, as do many other Russian female skaters. I didn't like her dress really, it looked a bit as if she had only her underwear under the black lace fabric. Caro's dress wasn't any better. I think the best dress award of today goes to Cheng Peng!

Custom Title
    I wouldn't be too worried yet at this point in the season. If you recall the 2009 Grand Prix prior to the 2010 Olympics, we saw some pretty forgettable skates from all of Kim, Asada, and Rochette, particularly Mao and Joannie. No one was really dominating the Grand Prix Series that year and putting down consistent 6 or 7 triple skates. We certainly didn't see a skate like Julia Lipnitskaia delivered in Canada.... Yu-Na Kim ended up winning the Grand Prix Final with only 4 clean triples in her LP. Not really stellar skating from the Olympic medalists that Grand Prix Season at all. There is still a lot of time for these skaters to clean up their acts before the big events.
    Kim established herself as a frontrunner for OGM at her first GP in Vancouver Olympic season, breaking her own LP and total score records, even with skipping a flip in her FS. From then on nobody doubted she was entering the Oly as the heavy favorite. The GPF in Tokyo Japan that saw Kim marked for an UR call on the second leg of her 3-3 in LP was the only time any of her executed triple marked for UR in her entire career.

2008-2009 season was quite the same. Her SP at SA set the tone for the entire season leading up to 2009 WC Ladies competition, which was basically a confirmation event for her dominance where she broke again her own SP and total score records, breaking 200 pts for the first time under IJS.

Can you still say nobody was dominating in those years?

BTW, it looks like the Sochi podium is quite a challenge for Kostner now. It's not a surprise. I liked Kostner a lot, but she has been held up and saved by the PCS for a long time now, and I'm getting tired of it. Worse, she is now more conservative and cautious, and slower than ever with those telegraphed jumps, with the transitions in and out of her jumps virtually missing. Her stengths, mainly the speed and edge work, are visible only in sporadic moments in her program, as if inserted there for the sake of showing off, and failing to contibute to a coherent whole.

Reality check, please.

Custom Title
    At the GPF, her skate blade was damaged. That was why.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesky85 View Post
    I really liked how the judges were so fair at this event compared to the two previous ones. I also like that Anna did so well, but if she makes it to the final, I feel like she is going to the final 50% because of her good showing here but also 50% because of her luck in being placed at such a weak event....
    How were the judges unfair in the previous two events?

Custom Title
    Even though it is early season and all skaters have still plenty of time to improve, out of all top skaters I'm most worried for Carolina. It was not only her jumps that were lost during this weekend but everything else too (and most importantly her confidence) ! Her FS PCS was 5 points lower than in Worlds.

Custom Title
    I wonder if this was the weakest GP event this season? Gracie would have won easily with her 3rd place score at SC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I wonder if this was the weakest GP event this season? Gracie would have won easily with her 3rd place score at SC.
    It sure was. But the judging was better here than at SA or SC, where I think the scores were quite inflated.

Thanks for joining us, Kirk. Welcome! Coyote Chris and I say, that's what we need around here -- more Spokanites.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast