Ladies FS - Cup of China 2013 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS - Cup of China 2013

seniorita

Record Breaker
I liked Carolina's dress, it went with the program, and it was so flashy it reminded me of a liquer, blue curacao with strawberry.:cool:
But I can see it doesnt go well with the shiny Sochi olympic medals, so I m glad she is changing to something more simple;)

Maybe for her encore in Cirque du Soleil....
Which I just watched on Thursday and I can tell you it totally fitted there!!

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Carolina's dress was the most interesting thing in this dull, dull competition. The same dress! The same bun! The same slow violin music! Please, someone show some individuality.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't think this event was as weak on paper as it turned out in reality. They had four girls in the top 10 at worlds at this competition. Its just Murakami and China's Li underperformed as did Kostner.

As for Anna and making the final, I think her scores will rise if she skates well. I also think Sotnikova was at the same event and didn't capitalize for the win.

Yes, I agree! This turned out a much weaker field than it looked on paper. Hence why so many of us had Pogorilaya so high up in our predictions. ;)

(Note for general clarification: I'm referring, of course, to the prediction game - and, of course, we didn't. Predict Pogorilaya, I mean.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dislike everything about Carolina's FS :no: bland choreography and Carolina doesn't seem to resonate with or relate to it... costume is just weird... :no: not sure why Tara says she's the most artistic skater out there today, I couldn't disagree more!

CoC - all of it - was so lackluster... really disappointing all the way around for the event.

emma

Record Breaker
I fear I might be the only one who thinks Caro's Scheherazade has many lovely moments and flourishes. I was and will always be a Michelle crazy uber; and sort of cringed before watching this with dread - even though I love Caro and her skating. Anyway, the end result is I see lot's of potential - I didn't see her loving it right then, but like I said, I think there is actually a lot here. The opening is great and her footwork sequence I quite like, not to mention that thing - i forget what it is called, but reminded me of a Michelle homage - when she is in a spiral stance but skating in a backward circle and the hand touches the ice. Anyway, not watching the comp as it unfolded protected me from the dreary music and I could just appreciate the ones I saw on their own.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I fear I might be the only one who thinks Caro's Scheherazade has many lovely moments and flourishes. I was and will always be a Michelle crazy uber; and sort of cringed before watching this with dread - even though I love Caro and her skating. Anyway, the end result is I see lot's of potential - I didn't see her loving it right then, but like I said, I think there is actually a lot here. The opening is great and her footwork sequence I quite like, not to mention that thing - i forget what it is called, but reminded me of a Michelle homage - when she is in a spiral stance but skating in a backward circle and the hand touches the ice. Anyway, not watching the comp as it unfolded protected me from the dreary music and I could just appreciate the ones I saw on their own.

:agree:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
yes, I love that move too

I'm calling it a backwards spiral -- Emily Hughes used to do it too, Johnny does it.

I'd love to be able to do that, strong outside edge required!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle Kwan, Nicole Bobek, and Joannie Rochette all had beautiful backwards spirals; it's lovely to see Carolina Kostner carry on the tradition. :love:

emma

Record Breaker
Oh, right. Backward spiral....sometimes things (names, labels) are simply that simple! And yes, musesk8r...Nicole and Joannie too had lovely backward spirals...and I quite enjoyed Caro's too.

If you're describing what I'm envisioning, that might be a Charlotte, a move that Michelle revived from very long ago. I think it was popularized by Charlotte Oelschlagel. (Oh, gee...I spelled it right on the first try!) Charlotte O. was one of the first skating stars. I think she was even in a silent movie. The move is based on a backward spiral but reaches down and touches the ice.

Carolina's dress was the most interesting thing in this dull, dull competition. The same dress! The same bun! The same slow violin music! Please, someone show some individuality.

Interestingly, they're showing a few of Sonja Henie's movies on a cable network this morning, and in her performances, she almost always wore a hat or headdress. So maybe when Carolina makes her movie, she can revive that outfit!

mskater93

Record Breaker
If you're describing what I'm envisioning, that might be a Charlotte, a move that Michelle revived from very long ago. I think it was popularized by Charlotte Oelschlagel. (Oh, gee...I spelled it right on the first try!) Charlotte O. was one of the first skating stars. I think she was even in a silent movie. The move is based on a backward spiral but reaches down and touches the ice.

It wasn't a Charlotte spiral. That is typically done on a near-flat or flat and the skater is in a near or full split with head on their knee. It was a back spiral that she actually allowed to spiral in (hence the original name of the move as that was the tracing on the ice) that as she deepened she put her skating side hand down to touch the ice. Kwan had used this move before as has Hughes and Weir more recently. It's a lovely, simple move that is breathtaking on a tall skater who moves lightening quick over the ice.

It wasn't a Charlotte spiral. That is typically done on a near-flat or flat and the skater is in a near or full split with head on their knee. It was a back spiral that she actually allowed to spiral in (hence the original name of the move as that was the tracing on the ice) that as she deepened she put her skating side hand down to touch the ice. Kwan had used this move before as has Hughes and Weir more recently. It's a lovely, simple move that is breathtaking on a tall skater who moves lightening quick over the ice.

Ah. Thanks for the correction and the vivid description!

emma

Record Breaker
lovely description mskater93....and it is truly breathtaking. I really enjoyed this in Caro's program, and others who do it well.