Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team? | Golden Skate

Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

Great performance today from Pogorilaya (winning on her senior GP debut), following on from Lipnitskaya's last week at Skate Canada. If Pogorilaya can build on this, then I think she will be the favourite to claim the second Olympic spot behind Lipnitskaya. On too many occasions, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have messed up and they are simply not consistent enough to inspire much confidence that they will put up much of a challenge in Sochi

What do you think?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
she's good but her PCS is so low she can probably just max 180+ by Sochi, its not good enough
I'd still go with Tuk, sure she bombs the SP but she can be of use, she is a good freeskater capable of delivering 130+ LP and Julia can skate the SP in Team event
Sotnikova, nvm you can count she will self destruct in the LP, an SP problem is easier to fix than an LP , imo

my ranking:

1 Julia - consistency
2 Liza - good Freeskate rebounder
3 Anna - low PCS
4 Adelina - Long Progran self destruct

elif

Medalist
she's good but her PCS is so low she can probably just max 180+ by Sochi, its not good enough
I'd still go with Tuk, sure she bombs the SP but she can be of use, she is a good freeskater capable of delivering 130+ LP and Julia can skate the SP in Team event
Sotnikova, nvm you can count she will self destruct in the LP, an SP problem is easier to fix than an LP , imo

my ranking:

1 Julia - consistency
3 Anna - low PCS

Her PCS will rise. Look at Gold. She don't have good programs or skating skills like top ladies but she is getting very high PCS.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Her PCS will rise. Look at Gold. She don't have good programs or skating skills like top ladies but she is getting very high PCS.

Pogorilaya is still a bit slow and has poor skating skills
I dont see a dramatic rise in her PCS unless she improves this

Gracie has one of the best SS in the business

Mirunna

Record Breaker
So far, I say Liza and Julia. If Liza squeezes a close to clean SP, Anna will be unable to beat her IMO. At least not this season. Julia is unstoppable.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So far, I say Liza and Julia. If Liza squeezes a close to clean SP, Anna will be unable to beat her IMO. At least not this season. Julia is unstoppable.

and Tuk's biggest arsenal is a 130+ hitting LP
I don't see Anna or Sotnikova scoring that high in LP

all Tuk needs is skate a decent SP not even a exceptional SP

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Liza and Julia. Just no competition for them this year. I like Tuk's spirit and her fp is one of the best for me this year. Pogorilaya is too juniorish. Her time to shine is after Olys :)

Mirunna

Record Breaker
and Tuk's biggest arsenal is a 130+ hitting LP
I don't see Anna or Sotnikova scoring that high in LP

all Tuk needs is skate a decent SP not even a exceptional SP

I totally agree. Even a 3Lz-2T, 3L and 2A from Liza and a clean (with 3-3) LP will be more than enough to keep Anna and Adelina behind. Unless a miracle happens with Adelina - who has the potential and if on that particular day she hits, it's another story.
But since we are talking probability, yes, Liza and Julia will most likely make it.

hanca

Record Breaker
my ranking:

1 Julia - consistency
3 Anna - low PCS

Well, your wish!

My ranking:
1 Julia - consistency
2 Adelina - being second in a GP doesn't make her a failure!
3 Anna - low PCS
4 Liza - is struggling at the moment

We can check this thread in 4 months time and see who was closer to the truth!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I totally agree. Even a 3Lz-2T, 3L and 2A from Liza and a clean (with 3-3) LP will be more than enough to keep Anna and Adelina behind. Unless a miracle happens with Adelina - who has the potential and if on that particular day she hits, it's another story.
But since we are talking probability, yes, Liza and Julia will most likely make it.

rule no.1: never count on headcases
you cannot just hope and pray someone hits in a competition like Sotnikova

she is a bigger headcase than Tuk

Mirunna

Record Breaker

Nobody has to count on anything: if Adelina hits at nationals (and she has a history of skating pretty well there) she is going to make at least the Euro team.
Like I've said, it's unlikely at the moment for Adelina to make the Oly team. I said most likely it's Liza and Julia. That doesn't mean that if Adelina will by some miracle hit her LP, she won't make it. Even you have to admit it: if she is clean she had the potential to score better than Liza and Julia. That this is very unlikely, fine, I give you that. I prefer to say the team will be Liza and Julia, with a: *(if Adelina hits, it is going to be her and Julia)
Tukt is not a headcase. She has a mental block with her SP. The way she skated in the LP proves she can hold her nerves very well and is very reliable. She actually enjoys it and she is not afraid of competing. Far from being a headcase.

hanca

Record Breaker

Is she really? Well, unlike Tuktamisheva, Sotnikova did not mess up as badly as finishing 9th out of 10 after SP in her GP event. Actually, Tuktamysheva was lucky that Caroline Zhang completed, otherwise she would finish completely last in the SP. It is not much help that she can be great in the FS. Look at the last Worlds what happens if you mess up in the SP - you can get so low that even with great FS you have no chance of getting hight enough. If you have to make mistakes in one of the program, do it in the FS, not in the SP!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Nobody has to count on anything: if Adelina hits at nationals (and she has a history of skating pretty well there) she is going to make at least the Euro team.
Like I've said, it's unlikely at the moment for Adelina to make the Oly team. I said most likely it's Liza and Julia. That doesn't mean that if Adelina will by some miracle hit her LP, she won't make it. Even you have to admit it: if she is clean she had the potential to score better than Liza and Julia. That this is very unlikely, fine, I give you that. I prefer to say the team will be Liza and Julia, with a: *(if Adelina hits, it is going to be her and Julia)
Tukt is not a headcase. She has a mental block with her SP. The way she skated in the LP proves she can hold her nerves very well and is very reliable. She actually enjoys it and she is not afraid of competing. Far from being a headcase.

sure Sotnikova can get higher score when she is clean but that hasn't been shown in competition
"potential" to score higher is not good enough. last time she had close to a clean LP? that was 3 years ago as a junior !

Mirunna

Record Breaker
sure Sotnikova can get higher score when she is clean but that hasn't been shown in competition
"potential" to score higher is not good enough. last time she had close to a clean LP? that was 3 years ago as a junior !

That's true. Plus with her issues, it's unlikely. So we agree on that: Liza and Julia are currently the ones who will probably make the team, if nothing extraordinary happens at nationals. (with Anna as a dark horse since she has the killer instinct like Julia, and the fierceness and Adelina who has everything on her side minus the mental toughness in order to make it). Any other lady with an outside shot?

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I would send Lipnitskaja and Tuktamysheva. Lipnitskaya can medal in an individual event, she MUST be on the team(if not, i will be so mad at RusFed). Tuktamysheva on the other hand would be a great part of a team event. Lipnitskaja can do short and then Liza can do a great FS. As for Sotnikova, she can bomb both SP and FS, so it is risky...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

That headcase has a GP silver and a SP win. Tuktamysheva couldn't even beat Radionova, make the podium, and was 9th in the Skate America SP, and likely won't make the GPF. At least Sotnikova positions herself well after the SP, whereas Tukt always plays catchup. For Liza, its over before the FS even begins... and that's whi you think is a better choice for Sochi? And how many times has Liza scored this so-called weapon of a 130+ FS?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fantastic GP debut for Pogorilaya. Julia should have her ticket stamped at this point, but Pogo certainly gave reason for Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva to start getting nervous. Although Sotnikova has a better shot still unless Pogo proves consistency.

tulosai

Record Breaker
That headcase has a GP silver and a SP win. Tuktamysheva couldn't even beat Radionova, make the podium, and was 9th in the Skate America SP, and likely won't make the GPF. At least Sotnikova positions herself well after the SP, whereas Tukt always plays catchup. For Liza, its over before the FS even begins... and that's whi you think is a better choice for Sochi? And how many times has Liza scored this so-called weapon of a 130+ FS?

This. I'm sorry. If I had to choose between Liza and Adeina I'd pick Adelina.

That said, this isn't the first time I'm saying that IF Anna keeps this up, and if neither Liza nor Adelina can pull it together, she is both a contender and in fact should be granted the 2nd spot.