Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Julia is obviously pretty much a lock. Sotnikova is the Russian fed pet so unless Tuktamysheva (or Pogs) crushes her at both Nationals and Europeans they would still probably send Sotnikova, whether deserved or not.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Julia is obviously pretty much a lock. Sotnikova is the Russian fed pet so unless Tuktamysheva (or Pogs) crushes her at both Nationals and Europeans they would still probably send Sotnikova, whether deserved or not.

That's true, but you never know with these skaters, even Julia can falter sometimes. I have to admit I actually did a double take when she fell on the opening 3Lz in her Cup of Russia LP. It goes to show that no one is a total lock though.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Liza is my fav russian lady, for her awesome combos when on, and her spark and her smile even in hard times. I thought her programs when she skated first time in SC in 2011 were awesome, but this is not so far her season and I dont know why they gave her these programs for 1)Olympic games in 2) Russia, from all the musical pieces in the world, their choice really puzzles me. She is really exciting to watch, I remember last Euros her Lp was a highlight. I think they one who has the thoughtful programs to impress at Sochi is Julia, and Adelina is really lucky that Radionova is not eligible cause her programs are not good too, they have no character.

mary01

Final Flight
I think Julia and Adelina will be the two on the team, it's just to early to completely trust that Pogorilaya will deliver. But a good outing from Pogorilaya at Nationals would make a strong case for her, and it would also make it hard for the Russian federation to justify leaving her out of the team.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Julia and Adelina will be the two on the team, it's just to early to completely trust that Pogorilaya will deliver. But a good outing from Pogorilaya at Nationals would make a strong case for her, and it would also make it hard for the Russian federation to justify leaving her out of the team.

Pogo does not have the scoring potential to medal yet, so that might factor in somehow. If Julia and/or Adelina skate great, they will have a great shot at a medal.

Amei

Record Breaker
Liza is my fav russian lady, for her awesome combos when on, and her spark and her smile even in hard times. I thought her programs when she skated first time in SC in 2011 were awesome

The downside or the problem I see is that I can't see any progression between 2011 and 2013, and she has developed some mental block with the short program. Russia has been bringing up their skaters at young ages, which is fine when you have someone like Julia who you can easily see her getting better from her 1st to her second season, but Liza- some people are probably wondering.... did she reach her peak already?

hanca

Record Breaker
The downside or the problem I see is that I can't see any progression between 2011 and 2013, and she has developed some mental block with the short program. Russia has been bringing up their skaters at young ages, which is fine when you have someone like Julia who you can easily see her getting better from her 1st to her second season, but Liza- some people are probably wondering.... did she reach her peak already?

She has not reach her peak yet. She just completely changed her body and it may take a few years to adjust to it. She went from stick thin girl to a girl with woman's body, with his and bust. That must be huge difference to adjust to. But not all skaters in the past were so tiny. Harding, Midori Ito... Liza will be fine when she gets used to it.

coppertop1

On the Ice
What about Alena Leonova and Ksenia Makarov, who were the two who made the Olympic team in 2010? Are they no longer in the running?

Is Radionova age eligible?

Slowdive

On the Ice
What about Alena Leonova and Ksenia Makarov, who were the two who made the Olympic team in 2010? Are they no longer in the running?

Is Radionova age eligible?

Leonova is not in the running.
Makarova isn't even competing at the moment.
Radionova is not age eligible for Sochi.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to see Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya in Sochi, but I expect to see Lipnitiskaya and Sonitkova.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Leonova is not in the running.
Makarova isn't even competing at the moment.
Radionova is not age eligible for Sochi.

Sad, Leonova seems to fall off the map, overshadowed by youngsters. Not long ago she was the big star.

OK. What is the age limit rule? I thought it was turning 15 by july1, and Radionova is. Or is it 15 by July 1 of the previous year? I wish they kept the loophole open that a skater who medalled at World Juniors was eligible for Worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sad, Leonova seems to fall off the map, overshadowed by youngsters. Not long ago she was the big star.

OK. What is the age limit rule? I thought it was turning 15 by july1, and Radionova is. Or is it 15 by July 1 of the previous year? I wish they kept the loophole open that a skater who medalled at World Juniors was eligible for Worlds.

15 by July 1st of the previous year, for ISU championships, for GP, it's 14 by July 1st of the previous year. Next year, the age limit for the GP gets changed to 15 like the ISU championships. Radionova turns 15 in January, so she is not eligible for the Olympics, and this is the last season that a girl her age can compete on the senior GP.

Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya are old enough for the Olympics/Worlds/Euros because they turned 15 in April and June respectively, before the July 1st deadline. They were all 14 at JW, but Pogo and Lip are one ISU year older than Radionova even though in calendar years they are less than a full year older.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I wish they kept it to 16. One has to compete juniors in all events til age 16, whenever that falls - it is a safety issue- maybe 17. I also want changed in gymnastics. The story I read made me cry. I do not care about medals. These girls in fs or gymnastics will kill them selves. I'm not sure about age of boys.

By age 16, most are thru puberty but it isn't a guarantee of no more growth spurts. I was very thin and not regular til like 19 or so..cant recall. I hope they change the judging more. Make jumps less impt, 3/3's less impt. Bring back spirals, scratch spins, skating skills edges, not crazy, senseless footwork. Choreography should be with music. If it is a sport, I'd like to see kids train figures again and have a true technical program. If it is art and sport, then improve and tweak IJS. Most programs are overly busy. Too much emphasis on impossible transitions. Sport is very hard now, everyone is injured. It isn't lovely to watch in singles. Very few nice programs. One must bow to cop point tracking. I do not feel triple axel should be done by girls. Guys have muscle mass. It is so rare, we have like 4 people who have done in competition? Ito, Harding, Asada, and miki? Tell me if Im wrong. I think it is so rare as it is too hard for little girls. I wish Mao had not pursued it so much. Most aren't ratified anyway. Too hard for girls.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Miki had a 4S, AFAIR, not a 3A? But if a jump can be done, and the girls want to try it, they should be able to try it. It's a sport after all.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Miki had 1 4S ratified. Nelidina and Nakano both had 3A ratified at least once in addition to Ito, Harding, and Asada. Meissner had 1 ratified at Nationals once.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Miki had a 4S, AFAIR, not a 3A? But if a jump can be done, and the girls want to try it, they should be able to try it. It's a sport after all.

Exactly, why restrict what people can do simply because of they're girls? I don't think that's protecting them, that's hampering them and limiting them, like any sport it's about pushing the envelope. If a girl wants to a 3A, fine, if they don't, they don't have to. And yes, Miki had a 4S ratified, she was the first woman to do it, I think it was at the JGPF. I think she also landed one at Worlds in 2009.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Exactly, why restrict what people can do simply because of they're girls? I don't think that's protecting them, that's hampering them and limiting them, like any sport it's about pushing the envelope. If a girl wants to a 3A, fine, if they don't, they don't have to. And yes, Miki had a 4S ratified, she was the first woman to do it, I think it was at the JGPF. I think she also landed one at Worlds in 2009.

If the ISU did restrict jumps, I'd like for them to restrict juniors to doubles so they focus on technique (entry, height, landing) rather than rotation. You could probably count on one hand the number to top skaters who flutzed in the 1990s (I can think of Kielmann, Lipinski, and Bobek) because they all did double lutzes as part of their competitive programs as juniors.

zamboni step

Final Flight
If the ISU did restrict jumps, I'd like for them to restrict juniors to doubles so they focus on technique (entry, height, landing) rather than rotation. You could probably count on one hand the number to top skaters who flutzed in the 1990s (I can think of Kielmann, Lipinski, and Bobek) because they all did double lutzes as part of their competitive programs as juniors.

Kwan flutzed, Midori lipped, Irina started flutzing in the 2000s so that theory doesn't make much sense.

Amei

Record Breaker
New article on Julia Lipnitskaya

I appreciate and gain a huge level of respect for her because even though she won, she was upset that she didn't skate well. That shows a great level of maturity for someone so young; you could see in the kiss & cry that she was upset with her performance.