Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am guilty of this but one skating event and we all jump to conclusions. These poor skates are under the microscope - if they sneeze are they too sick to compete. If they flinch they are injured they can't jump. One bad skate and this is the turning point. One decent skate they are on the olympic team. One lost sequin and they are unravelled. It's a long season folks. Admittedly Julia is looking good but who knows for the at other spot.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Julia deserves to be on the olympic team, MORE than Adelina or Liza. She needs to be there. She is definitely a rising star but clearly the Russian Fed does not recognize her potential...

this is not true, the Russian Fed recognize and see Julia's potential
from Aleksandr Gorshkov's words: Russian ladies is not inferior, we believe in Julia Lipnitskaya
what is true is Julia is not the Federations favorite, if ever Sotnikova gets clean, she will get a monster score of 200+ :rolleye:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya making the Team is probably just 5%
her max score potential is just 180+, that's not good enough and her PCS is poor

I'm sure they weigh also who can score the highest
Tuk's PB is 188+ and Sotnikova is 193+, I still think one of them will get the remaining, for me , preferably not the latter mentioned

And you think that Anna's PCS won't rise at all if she continues to skate well. Anna has very little to no reputation. When Kim debuted on the Grand Prix circuit, she didn't start out with sky high PCS either, they improved as she skated well. I think Anna's PCS will rise.

Elizaveta got on 131 plus free score, she didn't score close to that at Skate America though. One of my biggest issues with Elizaveta is she's clearly making no effort to improve her PCS. She's still doing the same type of programs she always does. There's no variety.

Adelina and Tukt are better skaters but I do see improvement with Anna and she's far more consistent...It doesn't matter if your potential max score is higher if you've demonstrated an ability to not capitalize on it.

Elizaveta in general, I don't think is so much better than Anna. To me both Elizaveta and Anna are pretty much jumping beans. I see Anna developing more artistically than Elizaveta.

And as for mentioning Julia doing the short and Elizaveta doing a long at Team. I say no way does the Russian federation not want Julia skating her long for the team event. Julia's program is getting a lot of buzz.

lcd

Match Penalty
It is much easier for the challenger coming up, than to be the one chased. To me, Julia has had the full breadth of that experience set and should be well positioned to handle the pressure. Same with Adelina. I would have less confidence in feeling confident in how Anna would handle the situation.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
And as for mentioning Julia doing the short and Elizaveta doing a long at Team. I say no way does the Russian federation not want Julia skating her long for the team event. Julia's program is getting a lot of buzz.
That is true. But i understood correctly, in the Team Event only top 5 of the SP do the FS. So Julia for the short programme is the safest choice. Making her do both SP and FS is not the smartest move, as she is the main hope for a medal in an individual competition. Anyway, the defenetly should not put Tuktamysheva for the SP. Another option - Adelina for SP, and Julia for FS.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
People overrate even the scoring potential of Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva. Tuk's all time PB of 131 for a perfect skate was at Europeans where the scoring was noticeably inflated. Done at any other event, including Worlds, the same program would not even reach 130 I bet. Sotnikova's Europeans LP was also the closest she ever did to a clean skate, and based on the protocals her score would have only been about Tuktamysheva's 131 (maybe 132 or 133) even clean. Again inflated scores there so likely down to 130 or below anywhere else. Julia by the end of this season will getting 135s or higher in the LP, I guarantee it. Anna right now is not capable of even close to a 130 LP, that is true. However she will likely be scoring well into the 120s in time, and Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva will have to start skating very well to beat her.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Been saying it 2 years already... Liza and Julia!!! (...then again I also said Mirai fo USA)
Best luck girls :p

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
People overrate even the scoring potential of Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva. Tuk's all time PB of 131 for a perfect skate was at Europeans where the scoring was noticeably inflated. Done at any other event, including Worlds, the same program would not even reach 130 I bet. Sotnikova's Europeans LP was also the closest she ever did to a clean skate, and based on the protocals her score would have only been about Tuktamysheva's 131 (maybe 132 or 133) even clean. Again inflated scores there so likely down to 130 or below anywhere else. Julia by the end of this season will getting 135s or higher in the LP, I guarantee it. Anna right now is not capable of even close to a 130 LP, that is true. However she will likely be scoring well into the 120s in time, and Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva will have to start skating very well to beat her.
How so? Her fp was 1 of the most difficult. Gracie's with mistakes got 127. Liza's jumps are great too..

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
How so? Her fp was 1 of the most difficult. Gracie's with mistakes got 127. Liza's jumps are great too..

Gold has more scoring potential than Liza since:

-Gold's jumps get much more GOE. Liza has very good jumps when she does them, but they arent huge high flying jumps like Gold has, and which the judges love.
-Gold has much stronger spins, generally all level 4s and high GOE.
-The judges give Gold inflated PCS and higher than they give Liza. Even bad Gold gets more PCS than good Liza (as Worlds LP showed)

If Gold and Liza skated absolutely perfectly in the same competition Gold would easily win. I firmly believe a perfect Julia would beat a perfect Liza right now, and we pretty much know from Skate Canada a perfect Gold would beat a perfect Julia right now.

Liza's flawless Europeans LP would probably score virtually equal or maybe 1 or 2 points more at best than Gold's flawed but respectable LP from Worlds had she done it there, and been in the same flight. Remember Li skated flawlessly and scored below flawed Gold, and Li did a very technically hard program and is actually better in some areas of her skating than Liza.

I do agree that if Sotnikova ever skated perfectly clean (lol but whatever, just a hypothetical) she would be very competitive with Julia, and possibly beat her. I think Liza skating perfectly would still be the odd women out even in that scenario though. Especialy with Sotnikova a huge pet of the powers that be of Russian skating like someone else mentioned, which would mean no way her being left out of the top 2 if she was ever letter perfect; and Julia's consistency likely garnering her respect and a few extra points vs someone who skates perfectly in one competition but hasnt been that consistent. The good news for her is Sotnikova skating a clean LP is like winning a lottery. Her Europeans LP was in reality the best LP in the last almost 3 years so far, and way above her usual LP level of performance, and Elizaveta still easily beat it with what is almost her usual LP it seems. So if Tuktamysheva can get over her SP problems she should have no problem beating Sotnikova (and Anna) for that 2nd spot. She is a virtual cinch to beat Sotnikova in the LP, and probably beat her quite easily.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yeah, Gold is better of course. I meant that Gold wasn't perfect at Worlds but had 127. Liza had 131 for her perfect skate. I think the score was fair :) And if both clean - Gold is the best for sure!

hanca

Record Breaker
I do agree that if Sotnikova ever skated perfectly clean (lol but whatever, just a hypothetical) she would be very competitive with Julia, and possibly beat her. I think Liza skating perfectly would still be the odd women out even in that scenario though. Especialy with Sotnikova a huge pet of the powers that be of Russian skating like someone else mentioned, which would mean no way her being left out of the top 2 if she was ever letter perfect; and Julia's consistency likely garnering her respect and a few extra points vs someone who skates perfectly in one competition but hasnt been that consistent. The good news for her is Sotnikova skating a clean LP is like winning a lottery. Her Europeans LP was in reality the best LP in the last almost 3 years so far, and Elizaveta still easily beat it with what is almost her usual LP it seems. So if Tuktamysheva can get over her SP problems she should have no problem beating Sotnikova (and Anna) for that 2nd spot.

I don't know if you noticed, but any time last year Adelina and Julia skated together in the same international event, Adelina actually beat Julia (for example Europeans, worlds)...and Adelina did not even need to skate clean! And this was in international competitions, so it did not have anything to do about whether Adelina is or isn't a pet of Russian Federation!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Huh? They were at the same int-l competition? That's news for me) They were together at JW))Where Julia was better than Adelina.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yeah, Gold is better of course. I meant that Gold wasn't perfect at Worlds but had 127. Liza had 131 for her perfect skate. I think the score was fair :) And if both clean - Gold is the best for sure!

When was it last time Gold actually skated clean? If she is that good, how come her personal best isn't higher than Adelina's and Liza's? The truth is, she is not really better than them! Otherwise she could easily top their PB score, but she can't, can she! 'If she skated clean'.... to many 'ifs' but the reality is somewhere else...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes the last international competition I recall them being in together was the 2012 Junior Worlds which Julia won very easily. What is interesting is the protocals of that event show Julia would have easily beaten both Gold and Sotnikova even had they gone clean, and Sotnikova would have still finished 3rd behind Gold in that case as well. So ironically Julia has lost ground in that sense since then (the mythical all clean scenario), while Gold has gained the most.

Julia has never competed at Europeans or Senior Worlds so her losing to Sotnikova in those would be impossible. She has also not yet been in a grand prix together with Sotnikova, but her scores in those have been higher thus far, even last year when she was struggling I believe.

hanca

Record Breaker
Huh? They were at the same int-l competition? That's news for me) They were together at JW))Where Julia was better than Adelina.

Sorry, I meant Liza. Too many young Russians and I got confused a bit. I do agree that Julia is better than Adelina. but I do think that Adelina is better than Liza.

tulosai

Record Breaker

She meant Adelina and Liza.

I think, like some others have said or at least hinted, Adelina is Russia's number 1 lady if she could ever skate clean. I actually think she is the winner of all international competitions too if she could skate truly clean, with the exception of any competitions that Yuna and Mao are also in. She would be beating everyone but Mao and Yuna, even assuming everyone was clean, if she could skate clean. I think this is why the Rus. Fed. keeps her as its pet- they see the potential and how eager intl. judges are to reward her.

However, as also said, this is a hypothetical pipe dream at this time, and in fact likely will never come to pass. For now, Julia is Russia's number 1, and Tukt and Adelina are each severely flawed in their own ways and will have to duke it out for number 2 and pray to their lucky stars that Pogo doesn't continue to improve at this rate and/or that they can finally get it together for 2 strong performances in a row and squarely beat her.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I changed my mind about her, she gets better. And she is interesting to watch! I like her personality and jumps ( hope she'll go back to high jumps). Adelina has worse technique...I mean Gracie :))

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think now that Wagner has triple-triples in her program she would beat any of the Russian girls clean, and Gold given how much the judges love and overscore her (especialy in PCS) would also beat any of the Russian girls clean, assuming she went clean herself. As long as Kostner is doing a triple-triple in the SP (even the easiest) and attempting 7 triples in the long she will also easily beat any Russian going clean if she is even somewhat close to clean.

Whatever Russians are sent to Sochi, they will need help to medal. However Julia is so much more consistent than anyone else I would almost predict her to medal, and it would be a very good shot she would. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are no more consistent than most of the others, and probably less so, so would unlikely to capatilize on the likely mistakes to occur. Anna has no potential for a really good result in Sochi, but the Russians might look towards the future and feel sending her could be beneficial if nobody besides Julia earns it.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She meant Adelina and Liza.

I think, like some others have said or at least hinted, Adelina is Russia's number 1 lady if she could ever skate clean. I actually think she is the winner of all international competitions too if she could skate truly clean, with the exception of any competitions that Yuna and Mao are also in. She would be beating everyone but Mao and Yuna, even assuming everyone was clean, if she could skate clean. I think this is why the Rus. Fed. keeps her as its pet- they see the potential and how eager intl. judges are to reward her.

However, as also said, this is a hypothetical pipe dream at this time, and in fact likely will never come to pass. For now, Julia is Russia's number 1, and Tukt and Adelina are each severely flawed in their own ways and will have to duke it out for number 2 and pray to their lucky stars that Pogo doesn't continue to improve at this rate and/or that they can finally get it together for 2 strong performances in a row and squarely beat her.

I'm just frustrated and sometimes because of that talk stupid. She has potential but...I think she needs moooore time. So Russia shouldn't push her so hard this year. She has too high expectations to skate clean.