Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

Custom Title
    Pogo I doubt is making the Olympics but I think she can make it to Euros potentially. Her PCS have already risen to the level of Tuk and Tuk continues to make mistakes, her 3lz-3t seems to be MIA so far this season, she's battling back pain/injury, her spins have improved but Pogo's spins IMO are still better, and then Liza's SP is simply dreadful and the FS is just okay. So for now, Pogo is looking heavy edge to Tuk which means the 3rd spot at Euros is up for grabs. I also wonder if Euros could be used to determine the Olympic team if the form and pecking order of the 4 girls in contention for Euros/Olympics is still murky after Nationals. Whoever wins Nationals (most likely Julia or Adelina, or if Radionova wins then whoever is 2nd) will most likely be given a spot directly but the 2nd spot could be decided with Euros to give the fed another chance to see 2 of Julia, Adelina, Liza, or Anna (or maybe even someone else!) go head-to-head before making the team final.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Pogo I doubt is making the Olympics but I think she can make it to Euros potentially. Her PCS have already risen to the level of Tuk and Tuk continues to make mistakes, her 3lz-3t seems to be MIA so far this season, she's battling back pain/injury, her spins have improved but Pogo's spins IMO are still better, and then Liza's SP is simply dreadful and the FS is just okay. So for now, Pogo is looking heavy edge to Tuk which means the 3rd spot at Euros is up for grabs. I also wonder if Euros could be used to determine the Olympic team if the form and pecking order of the 4 girls in contention for Euros/Olympics is still murky after Nationals. Whoever wins Nationals (most likely Julia or Adelina, or if Radionova wins then whoever is 2nd) will most likely be given a spot directly but the 2nd spot could be decided with Euros to give the fed another chance to see 2 of Julia, Adelina, Liza, or Anna (or maybe even someone else!) go head-to-head before making the team final.
    If Julia and Adelina beat Pogo at GPF and Nationals, I think the team is set and there will be no skate off at Euros. It's clear that these are the two skaters the Russian Fed is lobbying for and if they have any good reason to put them on the team they will. I would actually like to see Adelina and Julia skip Euros if they make the team because both have competed a ton this season already.

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    It's sad to admit but Tuk is circling the drain in terms of Olympic chances. She'd need to skate like her short program from last seasons Nationals and Euros long program and for others to mess up to make the team. It's frustrating as she clearly still has the ability, just seemingly not the drive right now. Maybe not making the Olympic team and probably not the National podium will get her a** in gear for next season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    It's sad to admit but Tuk is circling the drain in terms of Olympic chances. She'd need to skate like her short program from last seasons Nationals and Euros long program and for others to mess up to make the team. It's frustrating as she clearly still has the ability, just seemingly not the drive right now. Maybe not making the Olympic team and probably not the National podium will get her a** in gear for next season.
    I wouldn't underestimate the impact of her injuries and how that can affect not only technique but also overall confidence. It's a pity that she is going through this in an Olympic season but I have no doubt she will be a force over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the impact of her injuries and how that can affect not only technique but also overall confidence. It's a pity that she is going through this in an Olympic season but I have no doubt she will be a force over the next few years.
    Oh I have no doubt she'll be great the next few years, i'm still hoping (perhaps blindly) she'll be Russian number 2 behind Sotnikova as everyone had originally envisioned in the years to come. Her jumping technique is so good it's exciting to watch, I find her a lot less cold than Lipnitskaya. It's encouraging that she has been able to maintain her super-consistent 2A-3T as hers is the best in the world in terms of consistency and quality. The sentimental part of me demands I cling on to hope she makes the Olympic team however and I am almost certain it will be painful to watch Russian Nationals this year.

Banned
    Its over for Tuk for this season at least, and she is plagued by a back injury ?
    It didin't help her programs are terrible, I expect Sotnikova to win Nationals as she does well in Nationals only

and Pogorilaya has even out with her in PCS which I was not expecting
    she will be fighting with Pogorilaya for a European Spot

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Its over for Tuk for this season at least, and she is plagued by a back injury ?
    It didin't help her programs are terrible, I expect Sotnikova to win Nationals as she does well in Nationals only

I wouldn't write Tuk off. Hope she heals her injuries..=(

Her long program actually suits her. Sotnikova skated well at TEB and 2013 Europeans but I'd still expect Julia to beat her, and to deserve it too. I would never write off someone with as superb a jumping technique as Tuk honestly, not entirely.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    Her long program actually suits her. Sotnikova skated well at TEB and 2013 Europeans but I'd still expect Julia to beat her, and to deserve it too. I would never write off someone with as superb a jumping technique as Tuk honestly, not entirely.
    I said Tuk is over for this season not her entire career
    her Olympics chances is slim

I said Tuk is over for this season not her entire career
    her Olympics chances is slim
    Probably true, but I still meant you shouldn't even discount her this year, her technique may hold jer solid when others falter. Stranger things have happened.

Banned
    Julia is obviously pretty much a lock. Sotnikova is the Russian fed pet so unless Tuktamysheva (or Pogs) crushes her at both Nationals and Europeans they would still probably send Sotnikova, whether deserved or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Julia is obviously pretty much a lock. Sotnikova is the Russian fed pet so unless Tuktamysheva (or Pogs) crushes her at both Nationals and Europeans they would still probably send Sotnikova, whether deserved or not.
    That's true, but you never know with these skaters, even Julia can falter sometimes. I have to admit I actually did a double take when she fell on the opening 3Lz in her Cup of Russia LP. It goes to show that no one is a total lock though.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Liza is my fav russian lady, for her awesome combos when on, and her spark and her smile even in hard times. I thought her programs when she skated first time in SC in 2011 were awesome, but this is not so far her season and I dont know why they gave her these programs for 1)Olympic games in 2) Russia, from all the musical pieces in the world, their choice really puzzles me. She is really exciting to watch, I remember last Euros her Lp was a highlight. I think they one who has the thoughtful programs to impress at Sochi is Julia, and Adelina is really lucky that Radionova is not eligible cause her programs are not good too, they have no character.

I think Julia and Adelina will be the two on the team, it's just to early to completely trust that Pogorilaya will deliver. But a good outing from Pogorilaya at Nationals would make a strong case for her, and it would also make it hard for the Russian federation to justify leaving her out of the team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    I think Julia and Adelina will be the two on the team, it's just to early to completely trust that Pogorilaya will deliver. But a good outing from Pogorilaya at Nationals would make a strong case for her, and it would also make it hard for the Russian federation to justify leaving her out of the team.
    Pogo does not have the scoring potential to medal yet, so that might factor in somehow. If Julia and/or Adelina skate great, they will have a great shot at a medal.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast