Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya definitely should make the Olympic team.

They are the only two Russian skaters capable of landing their jumps consistently. Not just this season but in the past also. And it's not like Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have anything else going for them. Their programs are terrible, their basics are better than Pogorilaya's but not by a huge margin. I just don't see any reason to hold up Sot and Tuk at Russian Nationals with inflated marks and I hope that it's not going to happen.

Sorry to be a bit sentimental, but it's sort of sad to hear that we're now talking about both Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva being off the Olympic team when just a few years ago they were supposed to be leading the future of ladies figure skating in Russia.

I am very impressed with both Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya this season though. Russian Nationals is going to be heartbreaking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya definitely should make the Olympic team.

They are the only two Russian skaters capable of landing their jumps consistently. Not just this season but in the past also. And it's not like Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have anything else going for them. Their programs are terrible, their basics are better than Pogorilaya's but not by a huge margin. I just don't see any reason to hold up Sot and Tuk at Russian Nationals with inflated marks and I hope that it's not going to happen.
    Pogorilaya making the Team is probably just 5%
    her max score potential is just 180+, that's not good enough and her PCS is poor

I'm sure they weigh also who can score the highest
    Tuk's PB is 188+ and Sotnikova is 193+, I still think one of them will get the remaining, for me , preferably not the latter mentioned

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Yes, if Sot and Tuk landed all of their jumps they would probably score higher than Pogorilaya and possibly even Lipnitskaia as well. But that is not going to happen, hence it isn't very relevant.

Pogorilaya is putting much more effort into selling her programs than Sot and Tuk and she has improved her presentation since last season whilst maintaining her jump consistency. She is also post-pubescent, with visible hips and quite long limbs. She is the future and she should be the skater that the Russian Fed push now.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Pogorilaya absolutely should not make the team. Sotnikova and Tuk can do much better. They still have plenty of time to get it together and fight for a spot on the team with Lipnitskaya.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Sotnikova and Tuk can do much better. They still have plenty of time to get it together and fight for a spot on the team with Lipnitskaya.
    This is how I feel. Pogorilaya is a bit boring to me and her skating basics are, as others have pointed out, not as good as Sotnikova's or Tuktmaysheva's.

So Julia + (Liza or Adelina) is what I am hoping for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yes, if Sot and Tuk landed all of their jumps they would probably score higher than Pogorilaya and possibly even Lipnitskaia as well. But that is not going to happen, hence it isn't very relevant.

Pogorilaya is putting much more effort into selling her programs than Sot and Tuk and she has improved her presentation since last season whilst maintaining her jump consistency. She is also post-pubescent, with visible hips and quite long limbs. She is the future and she should be the skater that the Russian Fed push now.
    her PCS especially her component marks wont be of help
    her skating skills is visibly poorer if you put her with Sotnikova's SS even in presentation
    unless she consistently starts hitting 187+ marks she wont be making the team

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Pogorilaya making the Team is probably just 5%
    her max score potential is just 180+, that's not good enough and her PCS is poor

I'm sure they weigh also who can score the highest
    Tuk's PB is 188+ and Sotnikova is 193+, I still think one of them will get the remaining, for me , preferably not the latter mentioned
    She can get 190+ too. She should get same or higher PCS than Tuktamisheva. This time judges didn't really have a chance. First she is in the first group for short and later nobody expected Kostner and Adelina skate that bad. Everbody think she is fighting for bronze. She and Murakami got almost same PCS at the free. In the short program Murakami's PCS, 3 point higher than her. 3 point. If she can skate clean her PCS will rise even more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    She can get 190+ too. She should get same or higher PCS than Tuktamisheva. This time judges didn't really have a chance. First she is in the first group for short and later nobody expected Kostner and Adelina skate that bad. Everbody think she is fighting for bronze. She and Murakami got almost same PCS at the free. In the short program Murakami's PCS, 3 point higher than her. 3 point. If she can skate clean her PCS will rise even more.
    not hapenning about scoring a 190+ , look at her basics , poor speed and skating skills
    max PCS for Pogorilaya in SP is probably just 27 and LP 58

comparae to typical components for
    Adelina's PCS 30, 62+
    Julia PCS 29, 60+
    Tuk PCS 28, 59+

Custom Title
    not hapenning about scoring a 190+ , look at her basics , poor speed and skating skills

Adelina's PCS 30, 63+
    Julia PCS 29, 60+
    Tuk PCS 28, 59+
    Radionova's scores 29 and 59 too. Tuktamisheva only skating half of the ring. Sotnikova certainly better but not selling her programs at all. Worst Carmen ever probably.

Tuktamisheva didn't land a 3lutz+3toe this season. She don't have high GOE spins. Can't skate a short program without mistakes. Adelina can't do a 3 flip while Anna repeating 3lutz and 3loop with good GOE. They have PCS advantage but so many weaknesses. She can make the Olympic team.

Custom Title
    I think Russia should send whoever will skate cleanly. I think Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya have proven they can.

To me there is almost no chance of Tuktamysheva or Sotnikova skating cleanly right now. Sotnikova is having consistency issues but at least she has a chance to win after her SP's usually. Tuktamysheva is hugely inconsistent in her SP so it doesn't matter if she can skate a clean FS (which of course she hasn't done in a few).

Custom Title
    Pogorilaya is still a bit slow and has poor skating skills
    I dont see a dramatic rise in her PCS unless she improves this

Gracie has one of the best SS in the business
    Eurosport guys said Pogorilaya had good speed, she seem to move fast across the ice. Also in the FS her PCS was 56, Adelina was only 4 points ahead, and Liza is usually under 60. Clean, I agree, Pogorilaya cannot outscore Tuktamysheva, but Tuk regularly gives up around 10-15 points in the SP, along with a few points in the FS, so really, she needs to address the SP. I think the team will be Julia and Liza, but RU Fed seems to love Adelina so maybe Liza gets dumped. If there were 3 spots I'd say Pogo has a good chance, but with only 2 I think it's just too big of a risk to send her because she doesn't have the "reputation" to salvage her placement/scores in the event that she bombs. So yeah. But I'm really impressed with Anna so far this season regardless!!

Custom Title

Adelina's PCS 30, 62+
    Julia PCS 29, 60+
    Tuk PCS 28, 59+
    Anna gave up points on her axels in the FS, probably about 6 points, and I think she had some back injury over the summer so her layback spin is not as good, if that gets stronger and she holds the position for long enough, she can get level 4s on all spins with +GOE, so that would get her clean FS scoring potential over 125, close to 130. SP score could go up a few points too, depending on PCS and with all spins level 4, so given that:

63 SP + 127 FS = 190 total

Maybe a stretch but doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility given what she scored today at her GP debut.

Custom Title
    It's amazing to think the WSM just two seasons ago is not among the top 5 talked about skaters from her country to get an Olympic spot. It shows how inconsistent these Russian skaters are. I really hoped that Tuk and Adelina could have built upon their relatively strong results from the past two seasons but they haven't.

90% the team will be Sotnikova+Lipnitskaya

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast