Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think this is what will prevent Pogorilaya from making the team. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have been on the GP circuit for some time and have people in their corner vouching for them. And the Russian fed isn't particularly known for sending who deserves to go to major competitions versus who's in bed with them, so to speak.

I really hope that Sot/Tuk actually earn their spot, instead of denying a cleaner Pogorilaya/Gosviani/whoever a spot.
    +100500
    I wish the strongest will get the spot

Custom Title
    This Gracie hyping trend is ridiculous. Every Russian girl has to be compared to Gracie, not each other. It's like the fact that Gold just lost to Julia a week ago didn't even happen...Consistency matters. I'm not a big fan of Julia's skating, but girl has a ridiculously strong head. Gracie, among other girls like Liza, Adelina et al. are no comparison to Julia on that front.

If we go by record, say average all scores over the entire season before Sochi and rank all the girls, Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya are mostly likely to get the two spots. But it doesn't work like that. No one knows if Liza and Adelina would get very lucky and skate the best programs of their lives at Russian Nationals. Right now things are not looking good for them. Sending 15-year-olds to the Olympics is actually always the best strategy. They don't crumble all that easily and tend to do their very best, even if they are not in a position to win OGM. I feel that Liza and Adelina have been the oldest in a new generation that they are burning out a bit, which is unfortunate because they are so young still.

Though for my own pleasure, I would love Liza and Nikol to go....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    This Gracie hyping trend is ridiculous. Every Russian girl has to be compared to Gracie, not each other. It's like the fact that Gold just lost to Julia a week ago didn't even happen...Consistency matters. I'm not a big fan of Julia's skating, but girl has a ridiculously strong head. Gracie, among other girls like Liza, Adelina et al. are no comparison to Julia on that front.
    I agree. If Gold was so brilliant, her PB score would be much higher. There is a reason why her PB score is lower than Julia's.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Russia does things differently. It really depends on two things-- top three at nationals (I'm betting Tuk, Julia, and Sotnikova), then the best two finishes at Euros. European judges LOVE Sotnikova...

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    If those two go to the Olympics the Russian entries will be quite....dull Sotnikova will be going to Europeans no matter what and, if she performs well there she's on the team. Elizaveta will need to show some real fight if she wants a spot and win Nationals, not likely unless Julia starts to feel nerves like mortals do. Right now it's likely the team will be Julia as Russian number one, and Sotnikova on account of the love international judges have for her. If everyone skates clean though Elizaveta and Adelina are going I'd say.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I m not sure it will even work this way, with Euros and Nationals, Rf sent Borodulin to Olympic Games-because Voronov messed up, Borodulin was not even at Euros. Which is kind of irony that they had a spare spot in Vancouver and didnt know who to sent and now only one.
    For the ladies, i cant believe I missed somehow Anna until last Russian nationals, while I have been watching all the junior or before junior ladies since Radionova was 9 years old. There has been so many ladies in Russia who were eligible year by year, by the way, what Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Deeva, Byuriokova, Agafanova and Makarova are doing now? I think russian ladies go out of juniors too fast and they burnt out soon enough, while other federations keep their skaters in juniors until 17++..Adelina and Liza are only 17 and you think they skate at Seniors since ever, and now they got out Radionova while they could have waited for age eligible skaters first.
    I dont think they would send Anna to Sochi, not much time to get her the reputation needed. My heart hopes Liza gets the second spot who I ve been watching since she went to Mishin, but I think Adelina has the judges love, she has better lines, great edges and speed and more innovative spins. But Liza gives joy when she skates, Adelina makes you anxious.
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ksenia Makarova isn't competing this year at all, due to a hip injury.
    She & her parents recently became US citizens
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ete-for-Israel

Polina Shelepen is attempting to compete for Israel.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ete-for-Israel

Polina Korobeynikova had foot injuries, recently withdrew from her sole Grand Prix assignment, the 2013 Cup of China, and was replaced by Nikol Gosviani.

Polina Agafanova has programs choreographed for this year, and I suppose will be trying to qualify for Russian Nationals
    LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8s3ioZUXnk
    SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8s3ioZUXnk

The efforts of all this young ladies to qualify for Russian Nationals are discussed in the Qualifiers thread for Russia.

Here's where they are so far:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post769272

Polina Agafanova won the SP at a Russian Cup event in Sochi, but finished 4th overall.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post770218

She won the Panin Memorial Cup
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post772396

As of the beginning of October, there were 10 more slots to be determined

Sofia Biryukova is also competing (she was at Russian Cup in Sochi) She finished 6th.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWkOA1EzEE
    She finished 3rd at Moscow Open

Polina Korebeynikova finished 9th at the same event.

However,
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post777928

It looks like all are still in the race to qualify, except Deeva, who does not seem to be competing. There are 2 remaining qualifying events, another Panin Memorial involving Leonova is either just over or underway.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    If everyone skates clean though Elizaveta and Adelina are going I'd say.
    I would be shocked if a clean Elizaveta were to beat a clean Julia right now. Especialy as the Russian fed. will push the skater who has been so consistent for the last few years, especialy this year so far, over someone who isnt consistent and isnt getting the results even if she pops up a perfect competition suddenly out of nowhere. It is not like there is anything that superior about Elizaveta's skating to Julia that overcomes Julia's current building momentum and rep, and Elizaveta has way worse spins and worse programs this year anyway. Julia will score slightly higher on PCS (or more than slightly if her consistency continues at this level and the judges likely dish out some more points as a result), much higher on non jumps elements, their jump layout and GOE on the jumps is about the same.

As for Adelina, for her skating well is not skating cleanly but skating a 80% clean program, and that could easiily lose out to the other two, but in the fantasy all 3 skated cleanly Elizaveta would be odd one out most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

As for Adelina, for her skating well is not skating cleanly but skating a 80% clean program, and that could easiily lose out to the other two, but in the fantasy all 3 skated cleanly Elizaveta would be odd one out most likely.
    Agreed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I think this is what will prevent Pogorilaya from making the team. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva have been on the GP circuit for some time and have people in their corner vouching for them. And the Russian fed isn't particularly known for sending who deserves to go to major competitions versus who's in bed with them, so to speak.

I really hope that Sot/Tuk actually earn their spot, instead of denying a cleaner Pogorilaya/Gosviani/whoever a spot.
    If Russia had 3 spots, I think Pogo would have a legitimate shot and Russia could send the 2 consistent, steely 15 year olds along with one "risky" but very talented and well-known "veteran" like Tuk or Sot. But with 2 spots one of Tuk or Sot will almost certainly be on the team. Pogo might get to go to Europeans though, and if she does better than the "veteran" there, who knows.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    So far, I say Liza and Julia. If Liza squeezes a close to clean SP, Anna will be unable to beat her IMO. At least not this season. Julia is unstoppable.
    Agreed. and in all honesty, I was unimpressed with Anna at Cup of China. Other than landing her jumps, she isn't very good! S is a far stronger skater overall, but unfortunately she seems to be a head case when it comes to the long program self-destruct.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I agree. If Gold was so brilliant, her PB score would be much higher. There is a reason why her PB score is lower than Julia's.
    I agree that Julia isn't too far behind Gracie but I do think that Gracie is FAR better than Anna. I must say Sotnikova impresses me with her overall skating, line, extension, originality- too bad she is mentally the weakest.

Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    I would be shocked if a clean Elizaveta were to beat a clean Julia right now. Especialy as the Russian fed. will push the skater who has been so consistent for the last few years, especialy this year so far, over someone who isnt consistent and isnt getting the results even if she pops up a perfect competition suddenly out of nowhere. It is not like there is anything that superior about Elizaveta's skating to Julia that overcomes Julia's current building momentum and rep, and Elizaveta has way worse spins and worse programs this year anyway. Julia will score slightly higher on PCS (or more than slightly if her consistency continues at this level and the judges likely dish out some more points as a result), much higher on non jumps elements, their jump layout and GOE on the jumps is about the same.
    Elizaveta is a much stronger performer and don't forget her coach is Mishin, they tend to give his students a little nudge up in PCS. As for spins, that's true but Elizaveta's are better than last year by quite a bit and wouldn't totally put her out of the game. And Julia receive the same GOE on her jumps as Liza??? That's just not going to happen considering how good her jumps are when they work, some of the best in the world, Julia's quality of jump is only standard. And Elizaveta's jump layout is more difficult than Julia's with her 2A-3T and 3-2-2 in the second half.

As for Adelina, for her skating well is not skating cleanly but skating a 80% clean program, and that could easiily lose out to the other two.
    On that we're agreed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    Elizaveta is a much stronger performer and don't forget her coach is Mishin, they tend to give his students a little nudge up in PCS.
    Tarasova will fight to send Kovtun and Sotnikova to the Olys. If Kovtun won't go, Sotnikova is a lock, unless Liza has clearly superior results at Russian Nationals, GP series and Euros.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What did the commentators on Russian TV say about Anna's win, and about Sotnikova dropping back to second?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast