Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Are Lipnitskaya & Pogorilaya now the favourites to make the Russian Olympic team?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Love Pogo this season and hoping she can make it to Euros at least. Olympics is a long, long shot for her at this point but I think she could be in the mix for Euros especially if Liza is battling an injury which appears to be the case.

The good thing for Pogo is that she will at least have plenty of opportunities to prove herself against Julia, whom she could skate against 3 times (GPF, Nationals, Euros), and Adelina, whom she could face 5 times. Russia will have enough of data points to make a fair decision.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The good thing for Pogo is that she will at least have plenty of opportunities to prove herself against Julia, whom she could skate against 3 times (GPF, Nationals, Euros), and Adelina, whom she could face 5 times. Russia will have enough of data points to make a fair decision.

I cant see Pogo beating Julia unless she starts to falter. Julia has both more scoring potential and is uber consistent, so Pogo wont be able to beat her by consistency. Sotnikova atleast she can hope for to make some mistakes and beat her that way.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's going to be hard for them not to, for example if Anna P beats Adelina in 4 out of 5 match-ups it will be hard to argue that Pogo should stay home.

I think Adelina would have to skate quite poorly to lose 4 out of 5 times to Pogo. If she does, then she certainly doesn't deserve to go to Sochi over Pogorilaya.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's going to be hard for them not to, for example if Anna P beats Adelina in 4 out of 5 match-ups it will be hard to argue that Pogo should stay home.

you saw what happened at TEB
Pogorilaya still has low PCS though she is at par with Tuks PCS's now
Sotnikova would have to skate like at Cup of China FS to beat her again and given Sotnikova is a Federation favorite that is very unlikely
even Pogorilaya knows she has low chance of going to the Olympics and its not her priority, she probably just skates for herself so has little pressure compared to the others

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's clear from the way she behaves after a less stellar skate that Pogorilaya skates to win. Always.

It's perhaps her biggest asset.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It's clear from the way she behaves after a less stellar skate that Pogorilaya skates to win. Always.

It's perhaps her biggest asset.

Yep, I wish the US would produce a couple of skaters with that kind of determination. You're right, it probably is her biggest asset.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Pogo I doubt is making the Olympics but I think she can make it to Euros potentially. Her PCS have already risen to the level of Tuk and Tuk continues to make mistakes, her 3lz-3t seems to be MIA so far this season, she's battling back pain/injury, her spins have improved but Pogo's spins IMO are still better, and then Liza's SP is simply dreadful and the FS is just okay. So for now, Pogo is looking heavy edge to Tuk which means the 3rd spot at Euros is up for grabs. I also wonder if Euros could be used to determine the Olympic team if the form and pecking order of the 4 girls in contention for Euros/Olympics is still murky after Nationals. Whoever wins Nationals (most likely Julia or Adelina, or if Radionova wins then whoever is 2nd) will most likely be given a spot directly but the 2nd spot could be decided with Euros to give the fed another chance to see 2 of Julia, Adelina, Liza, or Anna (or maybe even someone else!) go head-to-head before making the team final.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Pogo I doubt is making the Olympics but I think she can make it to Euros potentially. Her PCS have already risen to the level of Tuk and Tuk continues to make mistakes, her 3lz-3t seems to be MIA so far this season, she's battling back pain/injury, her spins have improved but Pogo's spins IMO are still better, and then Liza's SP is simply dreadful and the FS is just okay. So for now, Pogo is looking heavy edge to Tuk which means the 3rd spot at Euros is up for grabs. I also wonder if Euros could be used to determine the Olympic team if the form and pecking order of the 4 girls in contention for Euros/Olympics is still murky after Nationals. Whoever wins Nationals (most likely Julia or Adelina, or if Radionova wins then whoever is 2nd) will most likely be given a spot directly but the 2nd spot could be decided with Euros to give the fed another chance to see 2 of Julia, Adelina, Liza, or Anna (or maybe even someone else!) go head-to-head before making the team final.

If Julia and Adelina beat Pogo at GPF and Nationals, I think the team is set and there will be no skate off at Euros. It's clear that these are the two skaters the Russian Fed is lobbying for and if they have any good reason to put them on the team they will. I would actually like to see Adelina and Julia skip Euros if they make the team because both have competed a ton this season already.

zamboni step

Final Flight
It's sad to admit but Tuk is circling the drain in terms of Olympic chances. She'd need to skate like her short program from last seasons Nationals and Euros long program and for others to mess up to make the team. It's frustrating as she clearly still has the ability, just seemingly not the drive right now. Maybe not making the Olympic team and probably not the National podium will get her a** in gear for next season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's sad to admit but Tuk is circling the drain in terms of Olympic chances. She'd need to skate like her short program from last seasons Nationals and Euros long program and for others to mess up to make the team. It's frustrating as she clearly still has the ability, just seemingly not the drive right now. Maybe not making the Olympic team and probably not the National podium will get her a** in gear for next season.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of her injuries and how that can affect not only technique but also overall confidence. It's a pity that she is going through this in an Olympic season but I have no doubt she will be a force over the next few years.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I wouldn't underestimate the impact of her injuries and how that can affect not only technique but also overall confidence. It's a pity that she is going through this in an Olympic season but I have no doubt she will be a force over the next few years.

Oh I have no doubt she'll be great the next few years, i'm still hoping (perhaps blindly) she'll be Russian number 2 behind Sotnikova as everyone had originally envisioned in the years to come. Her jumping technique is so good it's exciting to watch, I find her a lot less cold than Lipnitskaya. It's encouraging that she has been able to maintain her super-consistent 2A-3T as hers is the best in the world in terms of consistency and quality. The sentimental part of me demands I cling on to hope she makes the Olympic team however and I am almost certain it will be painful to watch Russian Nationals this year.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Its over for Tuk for this season at least, and she is plagued by a back injury ?
It didin't help her programs are terrible, I expect Sotnikova to win Nationals as she does well in Nationals only

and Pogorilaya has even out with her in PCS which I was not expecting
she will be fighting with Pogorilaya for a European Spot

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Its over for Tuk for this season at least, and she is plagued by a back injury ?
It didin't help her programs are terrible, I expect Sotnikova to win Nationals as she does well in Nationals only

I wouldn't write Tuk off. Hope she heals her injuries..=(

zamboni step

Final Flight

Her long program actually suits her. Sotnikova skated well at TEB and 2013 Europeans but I'd still expect Julia to beat her, and to deserve it too. I would never write off someone with as superb a jumping technique as Tuk honestly, not entirely.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Her long program actually suits her. Sotnikova skated well at TEB and 2013 Europeans but I'd still expect Julia to beat her, and to deserve it too. I would never write off someone with as superb a jumping technique as Tuk honestly, not entirely.

I said Tuk is over for this season not her entire career
her Olympics chances is slim

zamboni step

Final Flight
I said Tuk is over for this season not her entire career
her Olympics chances is slim

Probably true, but I still meant you shouldn't even discount her this year, her technique may hold jer solid when others falter. Stranger things have happened.