Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Kostner 2013-14 season

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Caro's elegant exhibition to Eva Cassidy's cover of John Lennon's Imagine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ZHgPf5S0c

It's beautiful to see her skate clean, strong, and freely from the jitters of competition. Strong 3Salchow and 2Axel and centered spins and lovely overall skating. Bellissima, Carolina! BRAVA!!
    Honestly, I kant imagine why people seem upset by her performances. Clearly she has to work on her programs, but SHE WON A MEDAL. Her 21st in a row.
    I mean: had I been one of the other ladies, I would be HUGELY annoyed for the opposite reason. When she competes, there are only two medals available, by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by msadot View Post
    SHE WON A MEDAL. Her 21st in a row.
    Really?! That's an incredible record. I love Carolina, but she was rather lucky this time to be skating in such a weak field. Had she skated at Skate America or Canada, she would not have medalled.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Really?! That's an incredible record. I love Carolina, but she was rather lucky this time to be skating in such a weak field. Had she skated at Skate America or Canada, she would not have medalled.
    She would have been medalled. By definition.

Carolina knows she has alot of work to do, but this is only the first event of the season, i am already very curious about how she will do in her next event!

Custom Title
    Carolina is a great skater. But I just don't think she's a great competitor.

She's absolutely mesmerizing in some of her galas, like the recent Opera on Ice. The presence, the edges, the confidence, beautiful moves like her spread eagles and back spiral...stunning.

But in competition, she often--but not always--seems like a different skater completely. She just wilted at Cup of China. Maybe it's due to the injury, but her commitment to her movements just didn't seem there. The energy was lacking. It was like and night and day compared to the skater Kostner can be.

However, I don't think a poor GP outing is going to kill her chances of a medal at the Olympics. But even if she misses the GPF, if she can regroup and get it together and skate a clean SP at the Olympics, I have no doubt that the judges will reward her accordingly. Kostner has won more world medals this quad than any other ladies skater. She can survive a poor GP outing if she delivers at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    ^ I just can't help but see her as a female version of Brian Joubert. Amazing competitive record. Impressive number of medals won and consistency in winning them. But man do they have that Olympic curse upon them.

Custom Title
    For those who have been concerned about her Scheherazade costume from COC, I believe it has been established that this will not be her costume during the Olympics for that program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Carolina is a great skater. But I just don't think she's a great competitor.

She's absolutely mesmerizing in some of her galas, like the recent Opera on Ice. The presence, the edges, the confidence, beautiful moves like her spread eagles and back spiral...stunning.

But in competition, she often--but not always--seems like a different skater completely. She just wilted at Cup of China. Maybe it's due to the injury, but her commitment to her movements just didn't seem there. The energy was lacking. It was like and night and day compared to the skater Kostner can be.

However, I don't think a poor GP outing is going to kill her chances of a medal at the Olympics. But even if she misses the GPF, if she can regroup and get it together and skate a clean SP at the Olympics, I have no doubt that the judges will reward her accordingly. Kostner has won more world medals this quad than any other ladies skater. She can survive a poor GP outing if she delivers at the Olympics.
    I believe she and kim are tied for world medals for this quad , both with 3 medals?

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I believe she and kim are tied for world medals for this quad , both with 3 medals?
    Yuna has two

Custom Title
    Yeah... her poor showing at COC is rather disappointing but I still have high expectations on her; I don't want to conclude anything about her programs at this point neither. I sincerely hope that her injury was minor one and does not cause her any further setback.

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Yuna has two
    Depends on when you count the start and end of a quad. If by seasons, then only two. However, after the Vancouver games Yuna has won three World medals: 2010 (silver), 2011 (silver), and 2013 (gold).

Custom Title
    Her LP has some moments where I thought, wow, this will get the crowd going.
    Her skating skills look so good. I was watching her blade the entire time and I actually dreamed I could move that freely on the ice.

OTOH, the program is decidedly non-Persian. More of a modern dance take on Scheherazade. Which is fine, but not modern or unique enough.

OTOOH, what is up with the final 3Sal in the final moment. Hasn't she learned anything from last World? You don't put a triple in the end of the program when you aren't so consistent. What is wrong with this girl?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    OTOOH, what is up with the final 3Sal in the final moment. Hasn't she learned anything from last World? You don't put a triple in the end of the program when you aren't so consistent. What is wrong with this girl?
    Nothing is wrong with her. I think it's obvious that she likes to challenge herself. One need only look at her exceedingly difficult and fast, crisp footwork sequences to see that she doesn't take anything easily. She has always taken risks and yes, sometimes it can prove to be a big gamble. When she first burst onto the scene, she was attempting and landing 3Lutz+3toe and 3flip+3toe in competition. Into adulthood, she has attempted and landed 3flip+3toe+2loop, 2Axel+3toe, and 3flip+3toe+3loop in practice. And for the haters who reply to this post by saying she took an easy approach by doing limited jumps in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, it was advised by doctors due to her knee injury that she avoid practicing and attempting 3Lutz and 3flip. She is doing all her jumps now.

Custom Title
    Not to mention true flip, true lutz, 3flip-3toe (planned, anyway)
    Most other girls have edge call on either lutz or flip. If Caro skate cleanly, her TES should not be lower than anyone but Mao Asada.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Nothing is wrong with her. I think it's obvious that she likes to challenge herself. One need only look at her exceedingly difficult and fast, crisp footwork sequences to see that she doesn't take anything easily. She has always taken risks and yes, sometimes it can prove to be a big gamble. When she first burst onto the scene, she was attempting and landing 3Lutz+3toe and 3flip+3toe in competition. Into adulthood, she has attempted and landed 3flip+3toe+2loop, 2Axel+3toe, and 3flip+3toe+3loop in practice. And for the haters who reply to this post by saying she took an easy approach by doing limited jumps in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, it was advised by doctors due to her knee injury that she avoid practicing and attempting 3Lutz and 3flip. She is doing all her jumps now.
    It's a pretty silly risk. She tends to make mental errors late in her program when she starts selling the choreo. Given Euros and Worlds, her success internationally with the final 3S leads one to question why she puts it in there... it could be an emphatic stamp to end the program, but as of late it's usually been an error which marred the end of the program.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast