Carolina Kostner 2013-14 season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner 2013-14 season

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna has two

Depends on when you count the start and end of a quad. If by seasons, then only two. However, after the Vancouver games Yuna has won three World medals: 2010 (silver), 2011 (silver), and 2013 (gold).

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Her LP has some moments where I thought, wow, this will get the crowd going.
Her skating skills look so good. I was watching her blade the entire time and I actually dreamed I could move that freely on the ice. :)

OTOH, the program is decidedly non-Persian. More of a modern dance take on Scheherazade. Which is fine, but not modern or unique enough.

OTOOH, what is up with the final 3Sal in the final moment. Hasn't she learned anything from last World? You don't put a triple in the end of the program when you aren't so consistent. What is wrong with this girl?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTOOH, what is up with the final 3Sal in the final moment. Hasn't she learned anything from last World? You don't put a triple in the end of the program when you aren't so consistent. What is wrong with this girl?

Nothing is wrong with her. I think it's obvious that she likes to challenge herself. One need only look at her exceedingly difficult and fast, crisp footwork sequences to see that she doesn't take anything easily. She has always taken risks and yes, sometimes it can prove to be a big gamble. When she first burst onto the scene, she was attempting and landing 3Lutz+3toe and 3flip+3toe in competition. Into adulthood, she has attempted and landed 3flip+3toe+2loop, 2Axel+3toe, and 3flip+3toe+3loop in practice. And for the haters who reply to this post by saying she took an easy approach by doing limited jumps in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, it was advised by doctors due to her knee injury that she avoid practicing and attempting 3Lutz and 3flip. She is doing all her jumps now.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Not to mention true flip, true lutz, 3flip-3toe (planned, anyway)
Most other girls have edge call on either lutz or flip. If Caro skate cleanly, her TES should not be lower than anyone but Mao Asada.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nothing is wrong with her. I think it's obvious that she likes to challenge herself. One need only look at her exceedingly difficult and fast, crisp footwork sequences to see that she doesn't take anything easily. She has always taken risks and yes, sometimes it can prove to be a big gamble. When she first burst onto the scene, she was attempting and landing 3Lutz+3toe and 3flip+3toe in competition. Into adulthood, she has attempted and landed 3flip+3toe+2loop, 2Axel+3toe, and 3flip+3toe+3loop in practice. And for the haters who reply to this post by saying she took an easy approach by doing limited jumps in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, it was advised by doctors due to her knee injury that she avoid practicing and attempting 3Lutz and 3flip. She is doing all her jumps now.

It's a pretty silly risk. She tends to make mental errors late in her program when she starts selling the choreo. Given Euros and Worlds, her success internationally with the final 3S leads one to question why she puts it in there... it could be an emphatic stamp to end the program, but as of late it's usually been an error which marred the end of the program.

Moment

Final Flight
At least the entry into the 3S is longer than it was with Bolero, so she might have a better result.

russell30

Final Flight
Hi everybody,
Considering the poor showing of Carolina Kostner at Cup of china this weekend, I wanted to hear some thoughts on her new programs, what are her chances and how she could improve during the rest of the season.

I have read some comments that she should go back to her previous 2012-13 programs...do you think it would be the right strategy or she should concentrate on improving what she has on her hands now?

My personal opinion is that the poor technical showing has made the programs even less appealing, but that overall it almost seems like she reserved the less suitable programs to her for the olympic season:confused:
Almost as if Lori Nichol did not put the same amount of thought into choosing the music...and it seems very strange.

Do you think her team has realized the weakness of the programs? Oris it just everybody's impression because she was not skating clean?

Should she compete at some B competitions to gain some experience?

No bashing necessary:)

Carolina tends to build up nicely as the season progresses, and for any skater they build on there previous performance look at the feedback and make changes to levels or choreography or in some instances change jump layout or if they have time change music all together.

Like some of the bloggers here, her programs of the past 4 years I would say from 2010 are her best. I actually love the Humoresque SP, not something you usually here from the skaters and I love the dress and some nuances to the music. The LP not to sure about, the costume is ok but its not Carolina. I would have chosen a piano or violin concerto for her LP, its early days so lets see what happens, Carolina does have a tendency to change her costumes and sometimes that makes the difference - I would have gone for slim lined oriental themed green and gold dress with hints of blue... If she would have to change her LP I think she would have to go back to Bolero - that was to die for and ideal music for the Olympics. The Mozart program she should leave as that should stand alone for her stellar season and world title, although equally i love it I would not want to tarnish it.