How does "politicking" work? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How does "politicking" work?

hurrah

Medalist
3. Politics
Officials may intentionally manipulate the buzz about certain skaters in hopes to influence others to appreciate and reward their favored skaters' strong points or to scrutinize the rivals' weaknesses more closely

So gkelly, are you suggesting that the buzz for/against a certain skater that's created on a board such as this one can influence a judge's perception, albeit in a small way?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I was suggesting that buzz generated by officials to promote their own skaters can influence other judges' perceptions. More often in the judges' rooms and other social interactions among officials. Maybe e-mails etc. to their friends about exciting skaters or performances they've recently seen.

It's certainly possible that officials could post under pseudonyms at boards like this to generate buzz, but that probably wouldn't be the best way to get their message to the intended audience (other officials).

Some officials do read boards like this without posting.

But I doubt that busy international judges read these boards in as much detail as fans do and I doubt that they take fan opinion into account much. Or the opinion of other officials posing as fans, if any are doing that. E.g., if I analyze a performance for technical content or program components and post my findings on Golden Skate, I wouldn't expect international judges to read my thoughts and change their opinions as a result.

But if some newcomer shows up and skates an exciting performance at a a less publicized competition, or is doing something extraordinary in practice that has been caught on video and posted online, and there are lots of excited posts on the boards with links to the video, it is likely that a judge who happened to be reading here might first read of it here and check out the links.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Great systematic breakdown of the system. I do wish there are corrective procedure towards addressing human error such as an opportunity to readdress the score at the end once everyone has performed including the review of video evidence. In my opinion any competition, it should not be just the skaters are being examined, but the judges themselves need to be peer examined too.

There are some great lost interviews on the TSL website on judging culture and how one can get around the system. Although I'd like to think all judges tries their best to stay honest, but one's peripheral vision can be easily distorted through their own experiences. Let's say if a judge was flew in first class, stayed at first class hotel, wine and dine at 3 star Michelin and generally had the best hospitality one can hope to receive, I'd be easily imagine it is human nature to show more appreciation to the host country for example.

Are judges required to disclose things like gifts and experiences/expenses occurred by hosts judging at these type of events compare to something like a B-Level competition where they'd be lucky just to get a bottled water or even a hot cuppa. I am also curious on who decide who is to be the technical panel? Are they invited by the host country, or get assigned by ISU independently (where host country has no say)? How does it work? If so by whom? And what vetting process? Why arn't they be done by lucky draws like skaters starting positions?

hurrah

Medalist
Thank you gkelly for your response. I got you. I just wondered because the criticism against certain skaters can at different times be quite intense, and one wonders, what if...But I got you and I believe you.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No, Plushenko did not declare that he had no transitions, but Mishin did not wanted to investigate the case or to tell Plushenko about Inman's letter. When Plushenko found out, it was too late to ask the journalist explanations about the article (it was an article in Absolute Skating). He did say in some interviews (videos) that he does not have as many transitions as other skaters, which is different.

True! plushenkos own statement actually indicated ignorance that transitions are before any technical element and plushenko implied transitions are only before jumps.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, and after technical elements, and direct connections from one technical element to the next, and skating moves between the elements that don't connect directly to an element but that do include more skating content than simple stroking in getting from point A to point B.