Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The upcoming rivalries you are excited about

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I realized I never responded to your other post, but it's related to the post above so...

Even though the OGM is one of their key goals, I also get the sense they are having more fun and loving what they do more than ever. But every time I see them, they seem to exude so much joy. When they finish, aside from Charlie's asthma, you get the sense, they want to go back and do it all over again.

Even if they get the OGM out of the way, they may have other goals/aspirations/reasons that would lead them to staying for a year or two (or another quad).

On the other hand, I think they're also eager to graduate from college...they've been at it for seven years!

I believe Nathan will be old enough to compete in seniors in 2014-2015. And Vincent Zhou will be old enough in 2015-2016, though he would have been in seniors nationally this season had it not been for his injury.

Gosh 2018 Nationals is already looking to be brutal at this point. Same goes for 2016 and 2017! Here's hoping that we can get three spots back soon!
    Well if D and W are looking for something bigger they certainly aren't trying harder - they somehow pick the same kind of music - nothing new, nothing innovative. Like I said they would be the perfect disney on ice skaters. Ithink technically hey are the best right now but artistically I don't see it. But I am not a judge.

Custom Title
    Dyer moved up to seniors and was 13th in 2011 and 10th in 2012. He did not qualify for 2013 Nationals due to a 6th place finish at Pacific Coast Sectionals. His bio also mentions he is studying at the University of Southern California.

Jason's ISU bio states he's 170 cm or a little over 5'6" He looks taller though? Maybe closer to 5'7?
    Are you kidding? You can tell the difference of an inch??? LOL

Custom Title
    Dyer moved up to seniors and was 13th in 2011 and 10th in 2012. He did not qualify for 2013 Nationals due to a 6th place finish at Pacific Coast Sectionals. His bio also mentions he is studying at the University of Southern California.

Jason's ISU bio states he's 170 cm or a little over 5'6" He looks taller though? Maybe closer to 5'7?
    Thanks for the info!

Jason is still plenty shorter than Josh, who I think the bio lists as 5'8". So I think 5'6" is about right - have we seen Jason and Max standing next to each other recently?

~high art~
    Hanyu vs. Yan could be very exciting.

I wouldn't bet on any of the women yet, as they tend to have more problem keeping their jumps.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Jason is still plenty shorter than Josh, who I think the bio lists as 5'8". So I think 5'6" is about right - have we seen Jason and Max standing next to each other recently?
    Not ideal for this purpose, but Jason had tweeted that great photo of Max and himself on their plane to Detroit for Skate America. They seem to be standing with their arms resting on the overhead bins as they smile down at someone in a seat who took the photo.

To my eyes, the travel buddies appear equally tall/short , more or less. I can't decide who (if either) perhaps looks smaller by just a hair (literally ).

As for Max's height, the quote from the interview with him in the August/September issue of Skating magazine was:
    "At 5 foot 6 inches -- 5-7 on a good day, he said -- ..."

Custom Title
    flame vs feather

Custom Title
    I'm not into rivalries.

Rinkside
    Gold vs Lipnitskaya- Talent (Gold) vs mental toughness (Lips)

Lipnitskaya vs Tuktamysheva- Jumps (Tuks) vs spins and wow moves (Lips)

Weaver & Poje vs Capellina & Lanotte- Sexy (W&P) vs C&L (cute)

Volosozhar & Trankov vs Barazova & Larionov- training mates and good friends with same coaches

Wagner vs Gold- Talent (Gold) vs hard work (Wagner)

Fernandez vs Hanyu- training mates and good friends with same coach

Those will be the biggest rivalries for big titles in the 4 years from after Sochi to the next Olympics. Chan, Takahashi, German pair, Kim, Asada, Kostner, Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, will all be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I think the Japanese men are deteriorating. Machida will be 24 by next season, and Mura is still struggling and trying to prove himself. I see a chance for the U.S. men to be a big force for the next few years.
    So far we have only heard that Daisuke and Oda may be retiring post Sochi. My assumption is that the rest will stay on to compete. There's a handful who are still world class. I don't know how their Juniors are coming along. But Hanyu is certainly here to stay.

Custom Title
    they somehow pick the same kind of music
    You honestly believe that Scheherazade, Tango, Phantom, Samson and Delilah, and Die Fledermaus are the same music?

As for upcoming rivalries; if they can keep it together, Jason Brown, Josh Farris, and Nathan Chen should be fun. Karen Chen and Polina Edmunds could be a good rivalry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    You honestly believe that Scheherazade, Tango, Phantom, Samson and Delilah, and Die Fledermaus are the same music?

As for upcoming rivalries; if they can keep it together, Jason Brown, Josh Farris, and Nathan Chen should be fun. Karen Chen and Polina Edmunds could be a good rivalry as well.
    Yes, both of those rivalries will be good. Also Vincent Zhou could be in that mix, depending if he recovers from his injury.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3