The upcoming rivalries you are excited about | Golden Skate

The upcoming rivalries you are excited about

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Afret Sochi a lot of skaters will retire, so that will be the time for the new rising stars to shine. What potential rivalries do you see in future? I think it'll be veeeeeeery exciting among the ladies.
Osmond/Gracie -f0r the best North American girl
Julia/Gracie - would loooove to see them compete against each other. I'm sure Gold is tired being 2d so it will be feirce between them. Hope they'll push the standard with their skating to new heights.
Yuzuru/Chan - if he stays.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Chan ? that's a laugh
more like Yuzu vs Yan

hopefully after Sochi, wether Chan gets a medal or not
he will finally disappear in men's FS.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Afret Sochi a lot of skaters will retire, so that will be the time for the new rising stars to shine. What potential rivalries do you see in future? I think it'll be veeeeeeery exciting among the ladies.
Julia/Gracie - would loooove to see them compete against each other. I'm sure Gold is tired being 2d so it will be feirce between them. Hope they'll push the standard with their skating to new heights.

If this is the primary ladies rivalry after Sochi, the sport is dead. These are two of the least expressive skaters out there today. With Elena R in the mix it would be exciting because she actually projects her artistry. Of course, Adelina and Kaetlyn are great artists but they will be held back unless they can hit their jumps.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If this is the primary ladies rivalry after Sochi, the sport is dead. These are two of the least expressive skaters out there today. With Elena R in the mix it would be exciting because she actually projects her artistry. Of course, Adelina and Kaetlyn are great artists but they will be held back unless they can hit their jumps.

but this two is the most popular ladies in their respective regions/countries
Gracie has the jumps, looks and hollywood beauty and is much hyped and will be loved by the media

Julia is the overwelmighly popular skater in Russia 5 folds that of Sotnikova and 10 folds as Tuk
check Julia's vk fanpages, many young skaters in Russia say Julia is their ideal skater

zamboni step

Final Flight
I honestly think the top three of the future in ladies skating will be Adelina, Julia and Gracie. If Elizaveta gets herself together though she could be right up there too. Sadly I have a feeling that Elena will have a rough adolescence without the mental toughness of Julia....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing who will seize USA No. 1 in Ice Dance after Davis and White retire. We might not see that for a few more seasons (D/W haven't indicated when they would do so), but still something I'm looking forward to.

Contrary to what some think, I don't think No. 1 is a lock and I think could be quite fluid, i.e. predicting the National Champion isn't going to be as easy as it has been for the last five years.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Why is everyone only talking about the teens, totally ruling girls like Ashley and Mao out? The teenagers still have puberty to hit, anything can happen to them. Ashley and Mao are both past that, both still young and whereas Mao has won a lot already, Ashley's time to shine is totally still to come.

I actually see Radionova grow up into a much more interesting skater than Lipnitskaya, if both remain good jumpers.
Gracie Gold is totally over-hyped, I'm even sick of seing her name already and she hasn't even competed much internationally yet.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Joshua vs Jason version 235346087346, Senior Version ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why is everyone only talking about the teens, totally ruling girls like Ashley and Mao out? The teenagers still have puberty to hit, anything can happen to them. Ashley and Mao are both past that, both still young and whereas Mao has won a lot already, Ashley's time to shine is totally still to come.

I actually see Radionova grow up into a much more interesting skater than Lipnitskaya, if both remain good jumpers.
Gracie Gold is totally over-hyped, I'm even sick of seing her name already and she hasn't even competed much internationally yet.

IIRC Mao has indicated she will retire after this season. I can see Ashley staying eligible a bit longer while she's still among the best in the US, mainly because opportunities for professional skaters are limited and she can score endorsements while she is still winning titles. As long as she can rotate a 3 triple SP and a 7 triple LP, Ashley can compete with anyone.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Has Gold even stated her intentions to continue if she skates in Sochi? Her father is a physician and I am sure holds education in high regard. She has not shown to be such a great competitor. Anyone positive this is not her last season if she makes it to the Olympics? I actually like her skating, there is a lot to like besides her occasional 3/3s. At 18 she might just feel she accomplished her goals and move on to an Ivy League school (or not, not meaning to sound snobbish, but Ivies would go crazy over Gold).

As for Julia, well, I'm being cautious. When I first saw her two or three years ago I was amazed at her flexibility and determination to land her triples, but we've all been there done that. Then her jumps got bigger as she got bigger. I started believing in her ability. Anything can happen, and lord knows I wish she had a better axel technique, but I see a budding artist in her. Her extension is best in the world and I'm not just talking flexibility. Look to Miki Ando who has flexibility but zero extension.

Radionova? She's how I viewed Julia two years ago. Let's see where she is two years from now. Her charm is unmistakable, but her body needs to go through some changes.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing who will seize USA No. 1 in Ice Dance after Davis and White retire. We might not see that for a few more seasons (D/W haven't indicated when they would do so), but still something I'm looking forward to.

Contrary to what some think, I don't think No. 1 is a lock and I think could be quite fluid, i.e. predicting the National Champion isn't going to be as easy as it has been for the last five years.

I totally agree with this. I do half wonder if D/W might stick it out for another quad especially if they don't attain gold in Sochi, and I also wonder if I'd want them to. It would be very sad to see them start to decline (assuming that they did).

Barb

Record Breaker

Has Gold even stated her intentions to continue if she skates in Sochi? Her father is a physician and I am sure holds education in high regard.

It would be great for me, I dont tolerate her, seriously the girl is the most boring skater ever, for now, I dont think the figure skaters can`t improve, but right now she is terrible for me. Though I dont think that she will retire soon, the only thing I like of her is that she looks like love to skate, so I guess she doesnt want to retire yet.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I totally agree with this. I do half wonder if D/W might stick it out for another quad especially if they don't attain gold in Sochi, and I also wonder if I'd want them to. It would be very sad to see them start to decline (assuming that they did).

Oh barring a disaster I am convinced D/W will win Olympic gold this time. Why would they bother to stay in? American dance will suddenly lose their standard, and I'm not sure any team is ready to take over. I wanted D/W to win Oly gold last time, I want them to collect their gold medals and move on, which I bet they would have if they won four years ago.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Oh barring a disaster I am convinced D/W will win Olympic gold this time. Why would they bother to stay in? American dance will suddenly lose their standard, and I'm not sure any team is ready to take over. I wanted D/W to win Oly gold last time, I want them to collect their gold medals and move on, which I bet they would have if they won four years ago.

I'm super glad they did not win gold last time. Meryl and Charlie have grown leap and bounds over the last several years, growth that we would have missed out on if they won Olympic Gold and retired. Tessa and Scott definitely deserved their Olympic Gold in 2010 and they are certainly in the mix for a repeat, though Meryl and Charlie will be a huge roadblock this time around.

Also, there are numerous SD/FDs we would have missed if they moved on: Die Fieldermas, Giselle, Norte Dame and of course this year's Scheherazade.

Yep! Though Max will be there too. It will be the battle of the 2010 Junior Men podium: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100118&content_id=7931722&vkey=ice_news&print=true
(So funny to read about Max hitting a 3Z-3T for the first time. He's sure come a long way!)

tulosai

Record Breaker

I would not count on them retiring immediately even if they win gold. They have said absolutely nothing indicating any plans to retire and IIRC have sometimes hinted they plan not to. Of course, OGM may change everything.

I agree strongly with Mrs. P that I am beyond grateful they stayed in another quad this time, whatever their reasons. They have grown leaps and bounds over the past 4 years, really transforming themselves in many ways. 4 years ago they were on my radar, but almost grudgingly. Now, they are one of my top 10 favorite dance teams of all time.

spikydurian

Medalist
Chan ? that's a laugh
more like Yuzu vs Yan

hopefully after Sochi, wether Chan gets a medal or not
he will finally disappear in men's FS.

I hope Chan stays. I want to see your HEAD POPS! :biggrin:

I am curious as to how the new kids on the block will play out post Sochi - Yan vs Brown vs Josh vs Kovtun; Julia vs Gold vs Tut vs Kaetlyn.
It is obvious that the Japanese men are still a big force to be reckon for the next few years. Russian girls look very strong and set to dominate.
Keeping an eye on the new kids for pairs and dance too but not too sure who are the ones will rise to the top of the game eventually. Will see.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

You should add Nathan Chen as well. He's very consistent and has well-designed COP programs. I don't think I've ever seen a skater who was as much of a dyed in the wool COP skater as him.