The upcoming rivalries you are excited about | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The upcoming rivalries you are excited about

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would not count on them retiring immediately even if they win gold. They have said absolutely nothing indicating any plans to retire and IIRC have sometimes hinted they plan not to. Of course, OGM may change everything.

I agree strongly with Mrs. P that I am beyond grateful they stayed in another quad this time, whatever their reasons. They have grown leaps and bounds over the past 4 years, really transforming themselves in many ways. 4 years ago they were on my radar, but almost grudgingly. Now, they are one of my top 10 favorite dance teams of all time.

I realized I never responded to your other post, but it's related to the post above so...

Even though the OGM is one of their key goals, I also get the sense they are having more fun and loving what they do more than ever. But every time I see them, they seem to exude so much joy. When they finish, aside from Charlie's asthma, you get the sense, they want to go back and do it all over again.

Even if they get the OGM out of the way, they may have other goals/aspirations/reasons that would lead them to staying for a year or two (or another quad).

On the other hand, I think they're also eager to graduate from college...they've been at it for seven years!

You should add Nathan Chen as well. He's very consistent and has well-designed COP programs. I don't think I've ever seen a skater who was as much of a dyed in the wool COP skater as him.

I believe Nathan will be old enough to compete in seniors in 2014-2015. And Vincent Zhou will be old enough in 2015-2016, though he would have been in seniors nationally this season had it not been for his injury.

Gosh 2018 Nationals is already looking to be brutal at this point. Same goes for 2016 and 2017! Here's hoping that we can get three spots back soon!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yep! Though Max will be there too. It will be the battle of the 2010 Junior Men podium: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100118&content_id=7931722&vkey=ice_news&print=true
(So funny to read about Max hitting a 3Z-3T for the first time. He's sure come a long way!)

Oh how adoooooooooooooooorable. (Love Jason's description as the "Dimunitive Chicagoan". Five foot one! Oh dear!) There's a photo floating around somewhere of that podium, and Jason is just absolutely tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. (And Kori says they're about to start on the 3A. Oh Jason, little did you know...) Josh and Max hitting their 3Lz-3T for the first time! aaaaaaaah so cute.

I wonder whatever happened to Scott Dyer? I bet it feels weird for him to look back at that photo and see where the others are now.

lakeside

On the Ice
Chan ? that's a laugh
more like Yuzu vs Yan

hopefully after Sochi, wether Chan gets a medal or not
he will finally disappear in men's FS.
Would you please stop bashing Patrick in so many threads? I don't like some of the skaters you like, e.g., nothing stands out in Yan's skating. But I'm not going to wish him disappear from men's FS. I think it's mean to wish someone disappear.

I hope Chan stays. I want to see your HEAD POPS! :biggrin:
ITA. :laugh:

It is obvious that the Japanese men are still a big force to be reckon for the next few years.
I think the Japanese men are deteriorating. Machida will be 24 by next season, and Mura is still struggling and trying to prove himself. I see a chance for the U.S. men to be a big force for the next few years.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh how adoooooooooooooooorable. (Love Jason's description as the "Dimunitive Chicagoan". Five foot one! Oh dear!) There's a photo floating around somewhere of that podium, and Jason is just absolutely tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. (And Kori says they're about to start on the 3A. Oh Jason, little did you know...) Josh and Max hitting their 3Lz-3T for the first time! aaaaaaaah so cute.

I wonder whatever happened to Scott Dyer? I bet it feels weird for him to look back at that photo and see where the others are now.

Dyer moved up to seniors and was 13th in 2011 and 10th in 2012. He did not qualify for 2013 Nationals due to a 6th place finish at Pacific Coast Sectionals. His bio also mentions he is studying at the University of Southern California.

Jason's ISU bio states he's 170 cm or a little over 5'6" He looks taller though? Maybe closer to 5'7?

guanchi

On the Ice
Lip vs Radio vs Lina (Polina Edmunds doesn't have an abbreviated name yet, but I think that's a nice one for her :)) for Pyeongchang 2018.

Becki

Medalist
Josh vs Jason (US)
Yuzu Hanyu vs Han Yan (Japan vs China) the duology to the Japan vs Korea story with Yuna and Mao.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Polina Edmunds vs. Anna Pogorilaya for their similar age and body type:laugh:But at this point Anna is far better.
Nathan Chen/Vincent Zhou vs. Boyang Jin (China) for the current junior men. :)
Radionova vs. Liplinskaya

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would not count on them retiring immediately even if they win gold. They have said absolutely nothing indicating any plans to retire and IIRC have sometimes hinted they plan not to. Of course, OGM may change everything.

I agree strongly with Mrs. P that I am beyond grateful they stayed in another quad this time, whatever their reasons. They have grown leaps and bounds over the past 4 years, really transforming themselves in many ways. 4 years ago they were on my radar, but almost grudgingly. Now, they are one of my top 10 favorite dance teams of all time.

With due respect to D and W after they win their OGM they might find the skating world not so nice to them and they might find themselves slipping down and being pushed out. I and K or one of the Russian Juniors plus that former French Junior team, Chock and Bates; Weaver and Poje all look ready to move on. They are an amazing team especially technically but they can only do so many classics and eventually they may finally be penalized approrpiately on their romantic stuff or tangos. Or not rewarded so generously shall we say. Besides what do they have to prove after beating V and M.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I realized I never responded to your other post, but it's related to the post above so...

Even though the OGM is one of their key goals, I also get the sense they are having more fun and loving what they do more than ever. But every time I see them, they seem to exude so much joy. When they finish, aside from Charlie's asthma, you get the sense, they want to go back and do it all over again.

Even if they get the OGM out of the way, they may have other goals/aspirations/reasons that would lead them to staying for a year or two (or another quad).

On the other hand, I think they're also eager to graduate from college...they've been at it for seven years!

I believe Nathan will be old enough to compete in seniors in 2014-2015. And Vincent Zhou will be old enough in 2015-2016, though he would have been in seniors nationally this season had it not been for his injury.

Gosh 2018 Nationals is already looking to be brutal at this point. Same goes for 2016 and 2017! Here's hoping that we can get three spots back soon!

Well if D and W are looking for something bigger they certainly aren't trying harder - they somehow pick the same kind of music - nothing new, nothing innovative. Like I said they would be the perfect disney on ice skaters. Ithink technically hey are the best right now but artistically I don't see it. But I am not a judge.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dyer moved up to seniors and was 13th in 2011 and 10th in 2012. He did not qualify for 2013 Nationals due to a 6th place finish at Pacific Coast Sectionals. His bio also mentions he is studying at the University of Southern California.

Jason's ISU bio states he's 170 cm or a little over 5'6" He looks taller though? Maybe closer to 5'7?

Are you kidding? You can tell the difference of an inch??? LOL

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Thanks for the info! :)

Jason is still plenty shorter than Josh, who I think the bio lists as 5'8". So I think 5'6" is about right - have we seen Jason and Max standing next to each other recently?

Moment

Final Flight
Hanyu vs. Yan could be very exciting.

I wouldn't bet on any of the women yet, as they tend to have more problem keeping their jumps.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks for the info! :)

Jason is still plenty shorter than Josh, who I think the bio lists as 5'8". So I think 5'6" is about right - have we seen Jason and Max standing next to each other recently?

Not ideal for this purpose, but Jason had tweeted that great photo of Max and himself on their plane to Detroit for Skate America. They seem to be standing with their arms resting on the overhead bins as they smile down at someone in a seat who took the photo.

To my eyes, the travel buddies appear equally tall/short ;), more or less. I can't decide who (if either) perhaps looks smaller by just a hair (literally :laugh:).

As for Max's height, the quote from the interview with him in the August/September issue of Skating magazine was:
"At 5 foot 6 inches -- 5-7 on a good day, he said -- ..."​

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
Gold vs Lipnitskaya- Talent (Gold) vs mental toughness (Lips)

Lipnitskaya vs Tuktamysheva- Jumps (Tuks) vs spins and wow moves (Lips)

Weaver & Poje vs Capellina & Lanotte- Sexy (W&P) vs C&L (cute)

Volosozhar & Trankov vs Barazova & Larionov- training mates and good friends with same coaches

Wagner vs Gold- Talent (Gold) vs hard work (Wagner)

Fernandez vs Hanyu- training mates and good friends with same coach

Those will be the biggest rivalries for big titles in the 4 years from after Sochi to the next Olympics. Chan, Takahashi, German pair, Kim, Asada, Kostner, Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, will all be retired.

spikydurian

Medalist
I think the Japanese men are deteriorating. Machida will be 24 by next season, and Mura is still struggling and trying to prove himself. I see a chance for the U.S. men to be a big force for the next few years.

So far we have only heard that Daisuke and Oda may be retiring post Sochi. My assumption is that the rest will stay on to compete. There's a handful who are still world class. I don't know how their Juniors are coming along. But Hanyu is certainly here to stay.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
they somehow pick the same kind of music
:rolleye: You honestly believe that Scheherazade, Tango, Phantom, Samson and Delilah, and Die Fledermaus are the same music?

As for upcoming rivalries; if they can keep it together, Jason Brown, Josh Farris, and Nathan Chen should be fun. Karen Chen and Polina Edmunds could be a good rivalry as well.