Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The upcoming rivalries you are excited about

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I totally agree with this. I do half wonder if D/W might stick it out for another quad especially if they don't attain gold in Sochi, and I also wonder if I'd want them to. It would be very sad to see them start to decline (assuming that they did).
    Oh barring a disaster I am convinced D/W will win Olympic gold this time. Why would they bother to stay in? American dance will suddenly lose their standard, and I'm not sure any team is ready to take over. I wanted D/W to win Oly gold last time, I want them to collect their gold medals and move on, which I bet they would have if they won four years ago.

skating philosopher
    I totally agree with this. I do half wonder if D/W might stick it out for another quad especially if they don't attain gold in Sochi, and I also wonder if I'd want them to. It would be very sad to see them start to decline (assuming that they did).
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Oh barring a disaster I am convinced D/W will win Olympic gold this time. Why would they bother to stay in? American dance will suddenly lose their standard, and I'm not sure any team is ready to take over. I wanted D/W to win Oly gold last time, I want them to collect their gold medals and move on, which I bet they would have if they won four years ago.
    I'm super glad they did not win gold last time. Meryl and Charlie have grown leap and bounds over the last several years, growth that we would have missed out on if they won Olympic Gold and retired. Tessa and Scott definitely deserved their Olympic Gold in 2010 and they are certainly in the mix for a repeat, though Meryl and Charlie will be a huge roadblock this time around.

Also, there are numerous SD/FDs we would have missed if they moved on: Die Fieldermas, Giselle, Norte Dame and of course this year's Scheherazade.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Joshua vs Jason version 235346087346, Senior Version
    Yep! Though Max will be there too. It will be the battle of the 2010 Junior Men podium: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...ews&print=true
    (So funny to read about Max hitting a 3Z-3T for the first time. He's sure come a long way!)

Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I would not count on them retiring immediately even if they win gold. They have said absolutely nothing indicating any plans to retire and IIRC have sometimes hinted they plan not to. Of course, OGM may change everything.

I agree strongly with Mrs. P that I am beyond grateful they stayed in another quad this time, whatever their reasons. They have grown leaps and bounds over the past 4 years, really transforming themselves in many ways. 4 years ago they were on my radar, but almost grudgingly. Now, they are one of my top 10 favorite dance teams of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Chan ? that's a laugh
    more like Yuzu vs Yan

hopefully after Sochi, wether Chan gets a medal or not
    he will finally disappear in men's FS.
    I hope Chan stays. I want to see your HEAD POPS!

I am curious as to how the new kids on the block will play out post Sochi - Yan vs Brown vs Josh vs Kovtun; Julia vs Gold vs Tut vs Kaetlyn.
    It is obvious that the Japanese men are still a big force to be reckon for the next few years. Russian girls look very strong and set to dominate.
    Keeping an eye on the new kids for pairs and dance too but not too sure who are the ones will rise to the top of the game eventually. Will see.

Custom Title
    Joshua vs Jason version 235346087346, Senior Version
    You should add Nathan Chen as well. He's very consistent and has well-designed COP programs. I don't think I've ever seen a skater who was as much of a dyed in the wool COP skater as him.

skating philosopher
    I would not count on them retiring immediately even if they win gold. They have said absolutely nothing indicating any plans to retire and IIRC have sometimes hinted they plan not to. Of course, OGM may change everything.

I agree strongly with Mrs. P that I am beyond grateful they stayed in another quad this time, whatever their reasons. They have grown leaps and bounds over the past 4 years, really transforming themselves in many ways. 4 years ago they were on my radar, but almost grudgingly. Now, they are one of my top 10 favorite dance teams of all time.
    I realized I never responded to your other post, but it's related to the post above so...

Even though the OGM is one of their key goals, I also get the sense they are having more fun and loving what they do more than ever. But every time I see them, they seem to exude so much joy. When they finish, aside from Charlie's asthma, you get the sense, they want to go back and do it all over again.

Even if they get the OGM out of the way, they may have other goals/aspirations/reasons that would lead them to staying for a year or two (or another quad).

On the other hand, I think they're also eager to graduate from college...they've been at it for seven years!

Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    You should add Nathan Chen as well. He's very consistent and has well-designed COP programs. I don't think I've ever seen a skater who was as much of a dyed in the wool COP skater as him.
    I believe Nathan will be old enough to compete in seniors in 2014-2015. And Vincent Zhou will be old enough in 2015-2016, though he would have been in seniors nationally this season had it not been for his injury.

Gosh 2018 Nationals is already looking to be brutal at this point. Same goes for 2016 and 2017! Here's hoping that we can get three spots back soon!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yep! Though Max will be there too. It will be the battle of the 2010 Junior Men podium: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...ews&print=true
    (So funny to read about Max hitting a 3Z-3T for the first time. He's sure come a long way!)
    Oh how adoooooooooooooooorable. (Love Jason's description as the "Dimunitive Chicagoan". Five foot one! Oh dear!) There's a photo floating around somewhere of that podium, and Jason is just absolutely tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. (And Kori says they're about to start on the 3A. Oh Jason, little did you know...) Josh and Max hitting their 3Lz-3T for the first time! aaaaaaaah so cute.

I wonder whatever happened to Scott Dyer? I bet it feels weird for him to look back at that photo and see where the others are now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Chan ? that's a laugh
    more like Yuzu vs Yan

hopefully after Sochi, wether Chan gets a medal or not
    he will finally disappear in men's FS.
    Would you please stop bashing Patrick in so many threads? I don't like some of the skaters you like, e.g., nothing stands out in Yan's skating. But I'm not going to wish him disappear from men's FS. I think it's mean to wish someone disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ITA.

It is obvious that the Japanese men are still a big force to be reckon for the next few years.
    I think the Japanese men are deteriorating. Machida will be 24 by next season, and Mura is still struggling and trying to prove himself. I see a chance for the U.S. men to be a big force for the next few years.

skating philosopher
    Oh how adoooooooooooooooorable. (Love Jason's description as the "Dimunitive Chicagoan". Five foot one! Oh dear!) There's a photo floating around somewhere of that podium, and Jason is just absolutely tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny. (And Kori says they're about to start on the 3A. Oh Jason, little did you know...) Josh and Max hitting their 3Lz-3T for the first time! aaaaaaaah so cute.

I wonder whatever happened to Scott Dyer? I bet it feels weird for him to look back at that photo and see where the others are now.
    Dyer moved up to seniors and was 13th in 2011 and 10th in 2012. He did not qualify for 2013 Nationals due to a 6th place finish at Pacific Coast Sectionals. His bio also mentions he is studying at the University of Southern California.

Jason's ISU bio states he's 170 cm or a little over 5'6" He looks taller though? Maybe closer to 5'7?

Custom Title
    Haha I would love that. And he's only 22 so you never know. Lol the Chan bashers' heads would explode!!!! Plus he's an excellent skater.

Custom Title
    Lip vs Radio vs Lina (Polina Edmunds doesn't have an abbreviated name yet, but I think that's a nice one for her ) for Pyeongchang 2018.

Rinkside

In my perfect dream world...

Polina Edmunds vs. Zijun Li.... much like Yuna vs. Mao ^^

Custom Title
    Josh vs Jason (US)
    Yuzu Hanyu vs Han Yan (Japan vs China) the duology to the Japan vs Korea story with Yuna and Mao.

Custom Title
    Polina Edmunds vs. Anna Pogorilaya for their similar age and body typeBut at this point Anna is far better.
    Nathan Chen/Vincent Zhou vs. Boyang Jin (China) for the current junior men.
    Radionova vs. Liplinskaya

Custom Title

With due respect to D and W after they win their OGM they might find the skating world not so nice to them and they might find themselves slipping down and being pushed out. I and K or one of the Russian Juniors plus that former French Junior team, Chock and Bates; Weaver and Poje all look ready to move on. They are an amazing team especially technically but they can only do so many classics and eventually they may finally be penalized approrpiately on their romantic stuff or tangos. Or not rewarded so generously shall we say. Besides what do they have to prove after beating V and M.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast