Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76

Thread: Julia Lipnitskaya's FS - Schindler's List ( The Red Coat Effect )

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Skater Boy, I'm calling Julia on the podium. Her performance will only get better, as will her speed and amplitude of her jumps. Plus home country. I just know it will happen. Yuna will obviously win, but Julia might sneak into the silver because Mao still has all her downgrades. I would LOVE LOVE a gold medal for Julia, but Yuna would have to self destruct.

    Team Julia and Averbukh.
    I would love it Julia would win a medal; there is something refreshing about her skating.

  2. #32
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,930
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    lol that's the problem with places like this: you never know if people are being satirical or simply delusional My bad.
    This is what our emoticons are for. As a kindness to people who are clueless (me) or for whom English is not a first language, I am pleading with our amazing, but sometimes satirical, snarky, or ironic posters, to help us poor souls by using their choice of the following emoticons:

    The typed code is to the right in each line. Delete the spaces between the colons and the words, and the emoticon would be displayed.

    Laugh-it's a joke : laugh :
    Wink, wink - semicolon paranthesis
    I'm being sarcastic : sarcasm :
    I'm not really serious : biggrin :
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-05-2013 at 10:07 AM.

  3. #33
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    If I can recall, Katarina skated this in a catsuit showing off her ample bosoms. I think she said she skated to this music as if she was the little girl who survived and obviously 'grew up'. Umm, the little girl in red was carried off in the back of a horse drawn carriage with thirty other dead bodies. It didn't help that Katarina Witt was a Stasi spy and represented just about EVERYTHING the world distrusted in communist East Germany. As a person of Jewish heritage I cringed when she showed her boobs and skated to Schindler's List. I was like "It was a person like yourself who sold your soul for your communist country which resulted in so many deaths. No thanks, Kati." It was horrible. I'm team Julia and Averbukh on this one. I prefer the innocence, and the somewhat innocent pathos, and can much appreciate Julia's interpretation. This program brings me to tears.
    Yeah, I didn't care for Katarina changing the little girl's fate in the face of the murderous Nazi regime. And I just couldn't buy her as the Little Girl in Red grown up. I much prefer Julia's interpretation, firstly because she is much closer in age to that child. At 15 Julia is certainly old enough to understand the horrors of the Holocaust. I certainly did when I was even younger. For me, if she hits, Julia has an Olympic-medal winning LP.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Skater Boy, I'm calling Julia on the podium. Her performance will only get better, as will her speed and amplitude of her jumps. Plus home country. I just know it will happen. Yuna will obviously win, but Julia might sneak into the silver because Mao still has all her downgrades. I would LOVE LOVE a gold medal for Julia, but Yuna would have to self destruct.

    Team Julia and Averbukh.
    I am too. Gold is an outside shot against a top-form Yuna but I think Julia can even pull off a silver over Mao/Kostner one of which imo will be off the podium (likely Carolina).

  4. #34
    just call me K or Art jockey
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    It didn't help that Katarina Witt was a Stasi spy and represented just about EVERYTHING the world distrusted in communist East Germany. [...] I was like "It was a person like yourself who sold your soul for your communist country which resulted in so many deaths.
    What? A spy? Please elaborate on this!

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,630
    Katarina had to play along to have the opportunity to leave East Germany for competitions. She was interviewed about every aspect of her life, including details about her personal life. East Germany had complete control over her and wouldn't even allow her family to leave the country to watch her compete.

  6. #36
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    What? A spy? Please elaborate on this!
    Spy, informant. No difference. I understand you have to do what is best for you, and I didn't grow up in a communist country, but wouldn't you at least apologize for all the harm you've caused? Ingo Steuer still doesn't get it. He's just being a crybaby. Why can't he just say "I made up things. I ruined lives. I had to for my own and my family's security." It's not like people would be unforgiving if you just come out with it. It's the lies. I believe everyone, or at least almost everyone, wants to see a redemption. Forgiveness is a very human trait. Own up, and let's move on. Ingo is mystifying. It makes me think he is a total AH. I still like S/S, but avoid looking at their coach.

  7. #37
    just call me K or Art jockey
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Spy, informant. No difference. I understand you have to do what is best for you, and I didn't grow up in a communist country, but wouldn't you at least apologize for all the harm you've caused? Ingo Steuer still doesn't get it. He's just being a crybaby. Why can't he just say "I made up things. I ruined lives. I had to for my own and my family's security." It's not like people would be unforgiving if you just come out with it. It's the lies. I believe everyone, or at least almost everyone, wants to see a redemption. Forgiveness is a very human trait. Own up, and let's move on. Ingo is mystifying. It makes me think he is a total AH. I still like S/S, but avoid looking at their coach.
    Ingo aside, and staying with Katarina for the moment, enlighten me: when has it been established that she has been an informant? And what alleged harm has she caused?

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    163
    I hope someday someone make a program for poor Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

  9. #39
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,930
    First somebody has to make the movie, and then somebody else has to write the soundtrack...

    In the interim, people could skate to Lawrence of Arabia, I suppose, and make the program be about West Bank Palestinians, sort of like P&B say Cirque du Soleil is about the Little Prince and his Rose.

  10. #40
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Ingo aside, and staying with Katarina for the moment, enlighten me: when has it been established that she has been an informant? And what alleged harm has she caused?
    It's all top sekret. The communist east german: vee have our vays. I think it is remarkable how except for that little blip about Katarina Witt being a Stasi informant, it all immediately disappeared. Thankfully Kati didn't disappear, but for a moment I was concerned and having my doubts.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    I loved Julia's skate to SL. It brought tears to my eyes- quite an accomplishment for a 15 year old.

  12. #42
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,592
    I was really unimpressed emotionally at first given her size-age...but it is growing on me. She is a fighter-I suspect her or Tuk on podium. Politiks.

  13. #43
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    It's all top sekret. The communist east german: vee have our vays. I think it is remarkable how except for that little blip about Katarina Witt being a Stasi informant, it all immediately disappeared. Thankfully Kati didn't disappear, but for a moment I was concerned and having my doubts.
    These claims are unsubstantiated. If you can substantiate them, by all means do so. Otherwise I consider this to be character assassination. It's not even that I necessarily think you're wrong (I have no godly idea, only Witt knows the truth), it's that I think it is fundamentally unfair to state something about someone as an absolute fact, then turn around and say well of course there's no proof, it's top secret. Saying something like 'of course, there are heavy rumors that she was an informant/spy, and it is likely, IMO that they are true' would suffice and IMO goes far enough.

    This is especially true because Katerina herself has denied being a spy/informant: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ied-age-8.html

  14. #44
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,930
    Steur was an informant. Witt was the one spied on.
    Both are interviewed in The Diplomat, an ESPN special on spying & skating in East Germany. So were the bureaucrats involved with the spying, some of whom did jail sentences for it.

    http://articles.latimes.com/2013/aug...-witt-20130805

    At no time did this documentary claim Witt herself did any spying.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    These claims are unsubstantiated. If you can substantiate them, by all means do so. Otherwise I consider this to be character assassination. It's not even that I necessarily think you're wrong (I have no godly idea, only Witt knows the truth), it's that I think it is fundamentally unfair to state something about someone as an absolute fact, then turn around and say well of course there's no proof, it's top secret. Saying something like 'of course, there are heavy rumors that she was an informant/spy, and it is likely, IMO that they are true' would suffice and IMO goes far enough.

    This is especially true because Katerina herself has denied being a spy/informant: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ied-age-8.html
    I agree with your comment, tulosai, as far as it goes. In fact, I don't think it goes quite far enough.

    To say that someone was a Stasi spy or informant is a grave charge. It is not merely vicarious enjoyment of some pecadillo. Accusations of this type are the very reason that internet boards generally have restrictions against the passing of unfounded or unsubstantiated rumors. Because in all too many cases, the very rumor or accusation itself, to the extent that it achieves circulation, is enough to harm or even ruin lives.

    Therefore, I do not agree that it is permissible to state, without any reasonable evidence given, such things as "there are heavy rumors that she was an informant/spy, and it is likely, IMO that they are true". I would hope that this would run afoul of board policy regarding unfounded rumors, for a start. And even if by some astounding rationale it was not deemed to breach the letter of the law, I would further hope that members of this forum would exercise their sense of fairness and decency by objecting to the dissemination of such serious charges without solid substantiation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •