Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

Custom Title
    Another random thought: I just noticed that there are almost 50,000 page views on this thread already, and 17 pages of comments, and we're not even at the LP yet. For a B event, that is not too shabby. And that's not even including the official competition thread.

Love her or hate her, Yuna is still "the straw that stirs the drink" in the figure skating world. (A phrase first used by Reggie Jackson in his iconic Yankees heyday. About himself. Reggie was not, in contrast to Yuna, noted for his humility )

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Maybe she should go with a white dress for SP? I think the yellow looks nice on her, though brighter yellow would look more beautiful IMO. In any event white might be better but it conflicts with her gala dress.

I also like the SP music a lot but I think there is something missing with Yuna right now. Maybe something is bothering her or she's tired because stamina isn't there, but something seems to be just "off". Her practice runs don't seem to have same intensity as last year's, and I think she should give the SP more of a sad, nostalgiac vibe. Still great though and 73 even better than anyone at GPF! Good job Yuna!
    I agree. I was thinking how much her skating excited me last year---and moved me. Maybe she hasn't brought on the passion yet for some reason.

Custom Title
    Is Yu-Na planning to do another competition? I think her programs could be underbaked if she decided not to do another one. Is she doing Korean Nationals or Four Continents?

Mao I assume is going to do Japanese nationals and Four Continents?

Banned
    When I said Yuna seems a little "off" I was not referring to the fall on the jump. That was just careless, perhaps it could be the result of her attention and focus not being 100%, but it wasn't the reason why I felt the program wasn't its full potential yet. I think Yuna just did not express the music as powerful as she is capable. Her performance was actually good, but I know she is capable of a performance much greater that no one else can equal. It's a high standard and she can do better. In fact I am sure she will by the Olympics, but since it's not that time yet, I still worry. :P

Whoever said the other ladies have better SP this year, I respectfully disagree. I absolutely love Yuna's and the further potential that is there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I agree. I was thinking how much her skating excited me last year---and moved me. Maybe she hasn't brought on the passion yet for some reason.
    I think she will. It's just the first event of the season, the reason she skates Zagreb is to get feedback and improve. Nobody will do their best first time out, it's very good for her to have done a beautiful skate but also learn what she needs to refine her performance.

I would say right now Yuna's performance was very good. The only thing is that she's capable of an EPIC, EPIC performance with this program. I think it's exciting but scary at the same time. Exciting how good it could be (think 11 / 10) but worrying for her to pull that off and that she might disappoint. The good thing about Yuna is that she always rises to the occasional so it's easy to have faith in her, but must not take it for granted.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    When I said Yuna seems a little "off" I was not referring to the fall on the jump. That was just careless, perhaps it could be the result of her attention and focus not being 100%, but it wasn't the reason why I felt the program wasn't its full potential yet. I think Yuna just did not express the music as powerful as she is capable. Her performance was actually good, but I know she is capable of a performance much greater that no one else can equal. It's a high standard and she can do better. In fact I am sure she will by the Olympics, but since it's not that time yet, I still worry. :P

Whoever said the other ladies have better SP this year, I respectfully disagree. I absolutely love Yuna's and the further potential that is there.
    Well said, Ven.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Well you made it sound like more than it was. But like I said if you consider one 3-turn "step" then she did "steps" immediately preceding the jump. Apparently one judge didn't agree with you.
    I suggest you consult some expert, for example: a skater or a coach regarding this issue. before make more comments.

Quote Originally Posted by aragray View Post
    in the most positive sense possible, i'm kind of 'glad' that Yuna stepped out of the 2A in Zagreb. that's solely because i'm afraid that if she did all perfect programs leading up to the Olympics, the expectations for her would soar and add unnecessary pressure for her. also, she was clearly upset in the interviews following the SP and i think that making the mistake will bring more grit and determination to Yuna for future performances. plus, it's of course better to make these mistakes in B competitions earlier on in the season rather than the olympics, after all she is human (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBZICMqB4Y

I don't know if she was upset or not, but I can tell she looks exhausted. I also cannot tell if she's holding her tears or just out of breath. But this interviewer....literally has no manner. Yeah Yuna messed up on her 2A, but he shouln't have said "why do you think you messed up." I think Yuna is pissed at the interviewer more than her mistake(if she feels that way). MBC should fire this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post

I don't know if she was upset or not, but I can tell she looks exhausted. I also cannot tell if she's holding her tears or just out of breath. But this interviewer....literally has no manner. Yeah Yuna messed up on her 2A, but he shouln't have said "why do you think you messed up." I think Yuna is pissed at the interviewer more than her mistake(if she feels that way). MBC should fire this guy
    Eh. I don't think she was holding back tears or anything. She just sounded a bit out of breath. This seemed to be done right after SP anyway.

Why shouldn't he say why do you think you messed up? I mean, it's like some American reporters asking, "What do you think went wrong out there?" to some athlete after an error...? :shrug: I didn't get the feeling that she was mad, but I also agree that the interviewer didn't seem very prepared and/or knowledgeable.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post

lol yeah i think messing up on her easiest jump would be disappointing in general but now that you point it out she could just be tired too. either way you're right, i wish the mbc guy could give her more time to just relax and reflect before the LP

---sorry if this is a repost, i'm new to the forum and i'm kind of a posting-noob

Reading this thread kind of makes me feel sorry for Yuna. Every tiny detail of her performance and demeanor is scrutinized and taken to mean this and that. It's her debut performance this season. She doesn't need to give a perfect earth shattering performance yet. The goal is to peak at the Olympics. If she appears kind of reserved and flat, well she has a job to do and a tremendous amount of pressure to do it. Regarding her dress, it was a suprise she picked that color but I like it. It has a retro vibe to it and makes me think of Peggy Fleming. That's actually a very good color for Asians because it helps neutralize the yellow skin undertone.

the picture of the day:

http://i.imgur.com/QRFbwNP.png

Custom Title
    This has been such a thoughtful, eloquent, and lovely thread. and I must say, VEN, you write GORGEOUSLY! Thank you for sharing your very insightful, sensitive, compassionate, and beautiful thoughts and ideas with us!

A teaser pic of Yuna's LP costume from the dress rehearsal: http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5d71b376.jpg

Apparently the skirt has a slit on the other side.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast