Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    The rink in Zagreb is the same as it was at Euros 2013?

Custom Title
    Don't know... I checked the rink size from the event webpage (Golden Spin).

Custom Title
    As Krislite said, Yuna almost never performs that well in the run up to major comps. She knows how to peak, and she's the type of competitor who gets motivation/energy instead of pressure/anxiety from the most important comps. If Yuna looked kind of passionless or bored here, she probably was! This is absolutely normal in Yuna-land.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Like the freeskate, thought it was overscoreed by 8pts or so, but what can you say? Mao is definetly looking better technically, Yu Na didn't try a 2xel-3toe and has 3 salchows, which get minimum points. I think she she think about doing a second triple flip in the second half, as a three jump combo and add the 2axel 3 tor again.
    Yuna has 2 salchows in her LP, not 3. Also, how was it 8 points overscored? Maybe a couple but not 8? Also, I love Mao, but her LP yesterday doesn't make me think that she is technically better than Yuna. She doesn't need to change her layout... if she performs perfectly, her scores will be incredibly high. Did everyone just forget her 2013 Worlds performance lol?

Custom Title
    An interesting comment by Yuna got me thinking.
    (And I know that some athletes are a bit fake to the press, but Yuna's used to reporters by now, and she seems to be able to organize her thoughts well, even on a minutes notice)

She said something along the lines of:
    "After the first mistake, I was on edge (no pun intended) and was more conscious of the rest of my jumps. I feel that because of this, the overall performance (expression-wise) wasn't as good as it could be."

Expression is what Yuna's known for, and what everyone's really been complaining about for the last couple pages (lack of "killer instinct," her being "distant," not INTO the program, "I didn't FEEL it," yada yada yada...)

What she says actually makes quite a lot of sense. If you miss the biggest jumps in your arsenal, you're not going to want to miss any others (especially another double axel), even if it means sacrificing the delivery and SPARKLE.

We KNOW she can land these jumps, just as we KNOW she can emote. Just like Mao CAN land her triple axels (especially during practices; It really is quite uncanny how they both managed to perform at similar levels this weekend). Might I add that most of the ladies in the top flight made quite a few ungracious falls in their first couple outings with their new programs.

Instead of overreacting (as skating fans are prone to do), let's really try to look at the big picture.

There is something off about this program, it doesn't come together IMHO and it didn't really hold my attention. I liked the Les Miserables program and feel that is better for the Olympics.
    So weird to see her fall. First Chan, now Yuna, yikes!

Custom Title
    ^I would take Homage to Korea over Les Miserables. It's a pity that Homage to Korea didn't get more usage.

Banned
    Les Miserables was an incredible program. Yuna and David did an exceptional job with that one there.
    I can never decide whether I like Les Mis or Gershwin better, and that's saying something, because Gershwin is as good as you'll ever see.

Every time I watch I never fail to be in awe of the standing ovation she gets 20 seconds before the program ends. I mean, turn up the volume a little bit, and you can hear hundreds if not thousands of people screaming uncontrollably in the middle of the program. It's unheard of.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    There is something off about this program, it doesn't come together IMHO and it didn't really hold my attention. I liked the Les Miserables program and feel that is better for the Olympics.
    So weird to see her fall. First Chan, now Yuna, yikes!
    People didn't really like Les Miserables after her first time at NRW. It became a totally different program at Worlds. Which just makes more sense for people to be open-minded until her next competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elee63 View Post
    People didn't really like Les Miserables after her first time at NRW. It became a totally different program at Worlds. Which just makes more sense for people to be open-minded until her next competition.
    Yes, and some people didn't really like it at Korean Nationals either although all the jumps were clean. But at Worlds, she just blew everyone away both performance and technical-wise. If she refines her programs like last year's, she will be almost unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    She'll make history if she wins in Sochi. She would not only just be the first back to back Ladies Olympic Champion in over 20 years, she'll also be the first woman to win without a blue dress in the FS in over 20 years.
    It's no surprise Yuna will win in Sochi.

Hmmm, speaking of dresses, i don't really give a hoot about it anyways, i'll start caring about dresses when i see less trashy skin-color tights and more classy colored tights.

Custom Title
    She fell. It happens. No need to think the sky is falling as far as Kim is concerned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinary person View Post
    It's no surprise Yuna will win in Sochi.

Hmmm, speaking of dresses, i don't really give a hoot about it anyways, i'll start caring about dresses when i see less trashy skin-color tights and more classy colored tights.
    Are you kidding? The color tights look tacky, or like something a 10 year old girl should be we wearing.

(black being the exception with some outfits)

Yuna is back in Korea, and in a press conference held at the airport, she said among other things that she is considering competing at Korean Nationals, though it is not decided yet. However, she did rule out 4CC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Yuna is back in Korea, and in a press conference held at the airport, she said among other things that she is considering competing at Korean Nationals, though it is not decided yet. However, she did rule out 4CC.
    That makes sense. 4CC schedule is pretty close to Olympics, so timing for the peak and travel arrangement would be problematic.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast