Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 390

Thread: Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

  1. #361
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21
    I absolutely love the LP, it shows a different side to her and really shows off how much her expression has matured since 2010 IMO. I think she's on her way.

    I made a new 2014 Olympics preview video of Yuna, thought you guys might like it and want to check it out:

    "Crystallize"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D16IIiDg3T0&hd=1

  2. #362
    Custom Title ordinary person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Are you kidding? The color tights look tacky, or like something a 10 year old girl should be we wearing.

    (black being the exception with some outfits)
    How on earth can color tights look tacky when Carolina and Adelina looked almost nude.

    You don't have that with colored tights plus i don't see how that also has to do with 10-year old girls when colored tights look pretty classy, modest and fashionable compared to the huge obsession of showing skin.

    Anyways, unless you're talking about colored tights with little bunnies, squares or dots on them then yes, it would make you look like a 10-year old on the ice.

  3. #363
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    79
    That fall in the LP really shook her, and the PCS were a tad high, however after that 3Lz-2T she really sold the program.
    It's one competition, so I wouldn't read to much into it.

  4. #364
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    53
    She looked like she was just doing a run through. No energy. She seems woried about her jumps. They were low and barely around. BUT, she´s an increadible competitor. Expect her to rise to the occasion in Sochi. She doesn´t usually give into nerves. If I were her I´d stay out of competitions until Olympics. Don´t risk an injury - a perenial problem for the Queen.

  5. #365
    In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Yuna is back in Korea, and in a press conference held at the airport, she said among other things that she is considering competing at Korean Nationals, though it is not decided yet. However, she did rule out 4CC.
    I think this sounds like the best plan. I do think she needs Korean nationals to put these programs out there one more time, and Korean nationals will give her a chance to shine at home, boosting her confidence. 4CC would just be too much.

  6. #366
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    644
    Which female skaters are attending 4CC?

  7. #367
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Which female skaters are attending 4CC?
    I don't think that'll be decided until after every nation's National Championships.

  8. #368
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I think this sounds like the best plan. I do think she needs Korean nationals to put these programs out there one more time, and Korean nationals will give her a chance to shine at home, boosting her confidence. 4CC would just be too much.
    The problem with her only skating the Korean nationals is that when she finally skates at Sochi it will be her FIRST time skating to some serious competition. If anyone can get away with that it is her but I certainly DON'T think this is the best plan for her. She is giving too much care and attention to her own abilities and not enough to the abilities and performances her Sochi competition will have ready for her. It is a balancing act that has her leaning too far the side of caution, I think.

  9. #369
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,960
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    The problem with her only skating the Korean nationals is that when she finally skates at Sochi it will be her FIRST time skating to some serious competition. If anyone can get away with that it is her but I certainly DON'T think this is the best plan for her. She is giving too much care and attention to her own abilities and not enough to the abilities and performances her Sochi competition will have ready for her. It is a balancing act that has her leaning too far the side of caution, I think.
    It worked last year when she won Worlds, but the other competitors will certainly have upped their game by then.

  10. #370
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,193
    Also, as a competitor, you really can't be focused on the fact that "so and so might..."you can only focus on your own abilities and "game". It's the RIGHT focus to have.

  11. #371
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I don't think that'll be decided until after every nation's National Championships.
    That's not true. Korea had a ranking comp where two skaters were chosen. 4CC candidates aren't chosen at Nats. (and weren't last year either)

  12. #372
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Also, as a competitor, you really can't be focused on the fact that "so and so might..."you can only focus on your own abilities and "game". It's the RIGHT focus to have.
    It isn't the "focus on your own abilities" that I have an argument with, it is the "only" part that I have a problem with. And it isn't REALLY the other players' abilities that I am talking about either. It is about the intangibles of competition and the benefits she gets out of that, that I am talking about. The intangible benefits, the measuring stick that comes from competing against high caliber competition vs rest and participating ONLY in "cake-walk" competitions leading up to Sochi. It is all moot of course; the decision has been made. I just don't like the strategy. I hope I'm wrong and I hope she is right.

  13. #373
    Medalist Peach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    The problem with her only skating the Korean nationals is that when she finally skates at Sochi it will be her FIRST time skating to some serious competition. If anyone can get away with that it is her but I certainly DON'T think this is the best plan for her. She is giving too much care and attention to her own abilities and not enough to the abilities and performances her Sochi competition will have ready for her. It is a balancing act that has her leaning too far the side of caution, I think.
    She has no other options though. The only major competition before Sochi is 4CC, but that's way too close to the olympics. I believe Mao is not even competing next year so I don't see why she should go? There's going to be no Mao, no Carolina and none of the Russian skaters. Her only competition is going to be Ashley Wagner (if she's going)... so it probably won't be the best strategy (mostly because of the date). At this point, all she can do is practice, compete at Korean nationals and get ready for Sochi.

  14. #374
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    104
    I don't think it's particularly problematic she's only doing Korean nationals and, given her track record, we should probably give her the benefit of the doubt that she knows what's best for her own mind and body. Plus if she's still injured somewhat it might be worse to put too much stress on your body going into the Olympics. Also, remember she did this last season too - a smaller international event (NRW) where she had a somewhat disappointing outing, the Korean nationals, and then killed it at the World Championships. I don't think it's unreasonable to think she can pull this off again.

    One thing you'll notice about Kim is that she has a remarkable talent for nailing it for the most important competition in a particular season. I'm not sure if it's because she becomes so mentally invested in that main competition that her other performances are (at least comparatively) lackluster. Or maybe she is one of those people that needs a few jitters to turn her on. Under nerves and stress most of us either fall apart or just hold it together, but there is a small minority who are lucky enough to be able to channel that into something, she might be one of those. While I'm sure part of her performance mishaps in Zagreb was some combination of injury, less training than usual, and first outing difficulties. But I wouldn't discount the fact that she knows she could win the event with a 2 minute cat-nap sequence in the FS, so I'd imagine it would be hard to get yourself mentally motivated for that event.

  15. #375
    Medalist Peach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    I don't think it's particularly problematic she's only doing Korean nationals and, given her track record, we should probably give her the benefit of the doubt that she knows what's best for her own mind and body. Plus if she's still injured somewhat it might be worse to put too much stress on your body going into the Olympics. Also, remember she did this last season too - a smaller international event (NRW) where she had a somewhat disappointing outing, the Korean nationals, and then killed it at the World Championships. I don't think it's unreasonable to think she can pull this off again.

    One thing you'll notice about Kim is that she has a remarkable talent for nailing it for the most important competition in a particular season. I'm not sure if it's because she becomes so mentally invested in that main competition that her other performances are (at least comparatively) lackluster. Or maybe she is one of those people that needs a few jitters to turn her on. Under nerves and stress most of us either fall apart or just hold it together, but there is a small minority who are lucky enough to be able to channel that into something, she might be one of those. While I'm sure part of her performance mishaps in Zagreb was some combination of injury, less training than usual, and first outing difficulties. But I wouldn't discount the fact that she knows she could win the event with a 2 minute cat-nap sequence in the FS, so I'd imagine it would be hard to get yourself mentally motivated for that event.
    I think she said in one interview that she was just nervous because it was her first competition. It was probably due to a combination of injury and nervousness and not having enough time to polish her program (post-recovery). I think she needs to do a clean program at Korean nationals because that will give her a huge confidence boost and remind her that she can do it.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •