Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

McIce

Rinkside
She does 2 backward crossovers, a step forward (choctaw), a rocker, a mohawk, a 3-turn, then flip. Those are steps.
Yes, she did have steps preceding the flip. I am not arguing that. I'm just saying the rule requires you to have steps.

No steps/movements preceding the solo jump = -3, with required negative GOE overall. Break between the steps and the jump, or only one step/movement before the jump = -1 to -2 GOE, but positive factors can be combined to make 0 or positive GOE overall. Judges are usually quite generous about what constitutes a "skating movement" and what constitutes a "break."

aftertherain

Record Breaker
At this point in time, I do prefer some of her competitors' short programs over this one. However, it has always taken me a while to warm up to each and every one of her competitive programs, with the exception of her Bond Medley SP and Homage to Korea FS. With that said, I think it's a perfectly adequate program, and I'm sure she'll polish it up in the weeks to come.

HD Picture of her dress - http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Yu+Na+Kim+ISU+Golden+Spin+Zagreb+Day+2+AIKVJjpNcFzx.jpg

I'm not a very big fan of the dress; I wasn't in the video, and I'm even more convinced of that looking at the picture. The yellow does nothing for her complexion, be it olive green, olive yellow, mustard yellow, mustard green, or whatever color you want to describe it as. I don't care much for it. I do like the design of the dress though, but I agree with other posters who say that this dress is not her best product of collaboration.

Yuna made a mistake on her double axel. Stop making excuses for her. She's human, she made a mistake. Let's move on and look towards the LP. I know I'm looking forward to that.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I like this program a lot, and her dress looks great to me, she will certainly stand out between all the red, black, purple and blues we are going to see in Sochi, and the cut is romantic.

Krislite

Medalist
At this point in time, I do prefer some of her competitors' short programs over this one. However, it has always taken me a while to warm up to each and every one of her competitive programs, with the exception of her Bond Medley SP and Homage to Korea FS. With that said, I think it's a perfectly adequate program, and I'm sure she'll polish it up in the weeks to come.

HD Picture of her dress - http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Yu+Na+Kim+ISU+Golden+Spin+Zagreb+Day+2+AIKVJjpNcFzx.jpg

I'm not a very big fan of the dress; I wasn't in the video, and I'm even more convinced of that looking at the picture. The yellow does nothing for her complexion, be it olive green, olive yellow, mustard yellow, mustard green, or whatever color you want to describe it as. I don't care much for it. I do like the design of the dress though, but I agree with other posters who say that this dress is not her best product of collaboration.

Yuna made a mistake on her double axel. Stop making excuses for her. She's human, she made a mistake. Let's move on and look towards the LP. I know I'm looking forward to that.

What excuses are being made? At most some people are trying to read too hard into it (she's "off", she's "tired", etc.). All I'm thinking is she had a momentary lapse in concentration/focus. It happens. In fact she had a similar mistake back in 2008 Skate America SP: she nailed her 3/3 and solo triple, then actually fell on her 2Axel. No injuries or anything. Pure mistake.

Krislite

Medalist
I think we can safely say now that Mao Asada will easily be the leader in the short program at Sochi. Now Mao only needs to do well in lp too, then OGM is hers for taking.

Indeed. From this SP we can safely say Kim's chances at a second OGM is doomed. :cry:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think we can safely say now that Mao Asada will easily be the leader in the short program at Sochi. Now Mao only needs to do well in lp too, then OGM is hers for taking.

? Mao scored 72 for a near perfect performance and Kim scored a 73 here with fairly "low" PCS. Can you explain your comment? I am truly confused.:confused:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Re: costume -- I didn't like the dress in the still photo linked, but I liked it in the program, except for the looseness at the wrists. But I liked the long sleeves overall and thought they accentuated her arms in a nice way, and that overall the dress presented nice outlines as she moved.

RABID

Final Flight

Well, oakily doakily then.:rolleye:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Nice of you to ignore the choctaw, rocker, and mohawk.

Well you made it sound like more than it was. But like I said if you consider one 3-turn "step" then she did "steps" immediately preceding the jump. Apparently one judge didn't agree with you.

penguin

On the Ice
Well you made it sound like more than it was. But like I said if you consider one 3-turn "step" then she did "steps" immediately preceding the jump. Apparently one judge didn't agree with you.

How can I make it sound like more than it was by just listing the steps she did? It's you who said "No steps going into it at all," which is making it sound like less than it was.

I don't consider a single 3-turn into a flip enough to count as the steps requirement since it's part of the jump setup. But I do consider the things I listed -- choctaw, rocker, mohawk, then the 3-turn into flip -- to be introductory steps. Not "zero."

Robeye

Final Flight
Another random thought: I just noticed that there are almost 50,000 page views on this thread already, and 17 pages of comments, and we're not even at the LP yet. For a B event, that is not too shabby. ;) And that's not even including the official competition thread.

Love her or hate her, Yuna is still "the straw that stirs the drink" in the figure skating world. (A phrase first used by Reggie Jackson in his iconic Yankees heyday. About himself. Reggie was not, in contrast to Yuna, noted for his humility :p)

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe she should go with a white dress for SP? I think the yellow looks nice on her, though brighter yellow would look more beautiful IMO. In any event white might be better but it conflicts with her gala dress.

I also like the SP music a lot but I think there is something missing with Yuna right now. Maybe something is bothering her or she's tired because stamina isn't there, but something seems to be just "off". Her practice runs don't seem to have same intensity as last year's, and I think she should give the SP more of a sad, nostalgiac vibe. Still great though and 73 even better than anyone at GPF! Good job Yuna!

I agree. I was thinking how much her skating excited me last year---and moved me. Maybe she hasn't brought on the passion yet for some reason.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Is Yu-Na planning to do another competition? I think her programs could be underbaked if she decided not to do another one. Is she doing Korean Nationals or Four Continents?

Mao I assume is going to do Japanese nationals and Four Continents?

Ven

Match Penalty
When I said Yuna seems a little "off" I was not referring to the fall on the jump. That was just careless, perhaps it could be the result of her attention and focus not being 100%, but it wasn't the reason why I felt the program wasn't its full potential yet. I think Yuna just did not express the music as powerful as she is capable. Her performance was actually good, but I know she is capable of a performance much greater that no one else can equal. It's a high standard and she can do better. In fact I am sure she will by the Olympics, but since it's not that time yet, I still worry. :p

Whoever said the other ladies have better SP this year, I respectfully disagree. I absolutely love Yuna's and the further potential that is there.

Ven

Match Penalty
I agree. I was thinking how much her skating excited me last year---and moved me. Maybe she hasn't brought on the passion yet for some reason.

I think she will. It's just the first event of the season, the reason she skates Zagreb is to get feedback and improve. Nobody will do their best first time out, it's very good for her to have done a beautiful skate but also learn what she needs to refine her performance.

I would say right now Yuna's performance was very good. The only thing is that she's capable of an EPIC, EPIC performance with this program. I think it's exciting but scary at the same time. Exciting how good it could be (think 11 / 10) but worrying for her to pull that off and that she might disappoint. The good thing about Yuna is that she always rises to the occasional so it's easy to have faith in her, but must not take it for granted.