Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

ordinary person

On the Ice
Are you kidding? The color tights look tacky, or like something a 10 year old girl should be we wearing.

(black being the exception with some outfits)

How on earth can color tights look tacky when Carolina and Adelina looked almost nude.

You don't have that with colored tights plus i don't see how that also has to do with 10-year old girls when colored tights look pretty classy, modest and fashionable compared to the huge obsession of showing skin.

Anyways, unless you're talking about colored tights with little bunnies, squares or dots on them then yes, it would make you look like a 10-year old on the ice.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
That fall in the LP really shook her, and the PCS were a tad high, however after that 3Lz-2T she really sold the program.
It's one competition, so I wouldn't read to much into it.

karlowens2

On the Ice
She looked like she was just doing a run through. No energy. She seems woried about her jumps. They were low and barely around. BUT, she´s an increadible competitor. Expect her to rise to the occasion in Sochi. She doesn´t usually give into nerves. If I were her I´d stay out of competitions until Olympics. Don´t risk an injury - a perenial problem for the Queen.:love:

desertskates

Medalist
Yuna is back in Korea, and in a press conference held at the airport, she said among other things that she is considering competing at Korean Nationals, though it is not decided yet. However, she did rule out 4CC.

I think this sounds like the best plan. I do think she needs Korean nationals to put these programs out there one more time, and Korean nationals will give her a chance to shine at home, boosting her confidence. 4CC would just be too much.

RABID

Final Flight
I think this sounds like the best plan. I do think she needs Korean nationals to put these programs out there one more time, and Korean nationals will give her a chance to shine at home, boosting her confidence. 4CC would just be too much.

The problem with her only skating the Korean nationals is that when she finally skates at Sochi it will be her FIRST time skating to some serious competition. If anyone can get away with that it is her but I certainly DON'T think this is the best plan for her. She is giving too much care and attention to her own abilities and not enough to the abilities and performances her Sochi competition will have ready for her. It is a balancing act that has her leaning too far the side of caution, I think.:eek:hwell:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The problem with her only skating the Korean nationals is that when she finally skates at Sochi it will be her FIRST time skating to some serious competition. If anyone can get away with that it is her but I certainly DON'T think this is the best plan for her. She is giving too much care and attention to her own abilities and not enough to the abilities and performances her Sochi competition will have ready for her. It is a balancing act that has her leaning too far the side of caution, I think.:eek:hwell:

It worked last year when she won Worlds, but the other competitors will certainly have upped their game by then.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, as a competitor, you really can't be focused on the fact that "so and so might..."you can only focus on your own abilities and "game". It's the RIGHT focus to have. :)

Nadia01

Final Flight
I don't think that'll be decided until after every nation's National Championships.

That's not true. Korea had a ranking comp where two skaters were chosen. 4CC candidates aren't chosen at Nats. (and weren't last year either)

RABID

Final Flight
Also, as a competitor, you really can't be focused on the fact that "so and so might..."you can only focus on your own abilities and "game". It's the RIGHT focus to have. :)

It isn't the "focus on your own abilities" that I have an argument with, it is the "only" part that I have a problem with. And it isn't REALLY the other players' abilities that I am talking about either. It is about the intangibles of competition and the benefits she gets out of that, that I am talking about. The intangible benefits, the measuring stick that comes from competing against high caliber competition vs rest and participating ONLY in "cake-walk" competitions leading up to Sochi. It is all moot of course; the decision has been made. I just don't like the strategy. I hope I'm wrong and I hope she is right.

Peach

Rinkside

She has no other options though. The only major competition before Sochi is 4CC, but that's way too close to the olympics. I believe Mao is not even competing next year so I don't see why she should go? There's going to be no Mao, no Carolina and none of the Russian skaters. Her only competition is going to be Ashley Wagner (if she's going)... so it probably won't be the best strategy (mostly because of the date). At this point, all she can do is practice, compete at Korean nationals and get ready for Sochi.

caelum

On the Ice
I don't think it's particularly problematic she's only doing Korean nationals and, given her track record, we should probably give her the benefit of the doubt that she knows what's best for her own mind and body. Plus if she's still injured somewhat it might be worse to put too much stress on your body going into the Olympics. Also, remember she did this last season too - a smaller international event (NRW) where she had a somewhat disappointing outing, the Korean nationals, and then killed it at the World Championships. I don't think it's unreasonable to think she can pull this off again.

One thing you'll notice about Kim is that she has a remarkable talent for nailing it for the most important competition in a particular season. I'm not sure if it's because she becomes so mentally invested in that main competition that her other performances are (at least comparatively) lackluster. Or maybe she is one of those people that needs a few jitters to turn her on. Under nerves and stress most of us either fall apart or just hold it together, but there is a small minority who are lucky enough to be able to channel that into something, she might be one of those. While I'm sure part of her performance mishaps in Zagreb was some combination of injury, less training than usual, and first outing difficulties. But I wouldn't discount the fact that she knows she could win the event with a 2 minute cat-nap sequence in the FS, so I'd imagine it would be hard to get yourself mentally motivated for that event.

Peach

Rinkside
I don't think it's particularly problematic she's only doing Korean nationals and, given her track record, we should probably give her the benefit of the doubt that she knows what's best for her own mind and body. Plus if she's still injured somewhat it might be worse to put too much stress on your body going into the Olympics. Also, remember she did this last season too - a smaller international event (NRW) where she had a somewhat disappointing outing, the Korean nationals, and then killed it at the World Championships. I don't think it's unreasonable to think she can pull this off again.

One thing you'll notice about Kim is that she has a remarkable talent for nailing it for the most important competition in a particular season. I'm not sure if it's because she becomes so mentally invested in that main competition that her other performances are (at least comparatively) lackluster. Or maybe she is one of those people that needs a few jitters to turn her on. Under nerves and stress most of us either fall apart or just hold it together, but there is a small minority who are lucky enough to be able to channel that into something, she might be one of those. While I'm sure part of her performance mishaps in Zagreb was some combination of injury, less training than usual, and first outing difficulties. But I wouldn't discount the fact that she knows she could win the event with a 2 minute cat-nap sequence in the FS, so I'd imagine it would be hard to get yourself mentally motivated for that event.

I think she said in one interview that she was just nervous because it was her first competition. It was probably due to a combination of injury and nervousness and not having enough time to polish her program (post-recovery). I think she needs to do a clean program at Korean nationals because that will give her a huge confidence boost and remind her that she can do it.

Icey

Record Breaker
While we are nit picking, I wish she didn't cover her boots. With her money she could have boots made that match her skin tone if lengthening the look of her legs is what she is going for.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

RABID

Final Flight
While we are nit picking, I wish she didn't cover her boots. With her money she could have boots made that match her skin tone if lengthening the look of her legs is what she is going for.
Ah, but YuNa makes it look sweet :cool:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think tan boots are worse than OTB tights. I much prefer the white boot look, but I don't think Yu Na will change. She has her signature look and has done well with it. Skaters, like other athletes, have their superstitions and rituals.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't think it will be a problem for her. If she hadn't fallen in Croatia, everyone would be saying she's unbeatable, etc. Other skaters have gone to the Olympics with new/re-worked programs skated for the first time and won gold--Shizuka Arakawa reworked both her short and long programs before Torino and Sarah Hughes reworked her long program before SLC. All Yu Na has to do is hit her elements. In fact, as long as she does her 3-3's, I think she can win even with a mistake on some other element.