Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna will need to compete in a couple more competitions if she wants to be ready for Sochi. It would be ill advised if she's not competing again until the Olympics.

Two more? I think one more at most. It seems some people are reading too much into her 2Axel stumble. She just lost a little focus on the easiest jump, which happens occasionally with many skaters. Look at her 3/3 and 3flip--they're perfect.

She needs to build on her stamina and maintain focus. But again, this is minor--like her bizarre fall in the SP at Korean Nationals last season. In a way, this a good lesson. It will remind her to be more diligent in Sochi.

gourry

Final Flight
Thanks for the videos!
I'm so happy for Yuna. This is such a lovely program. Really lovely. A bit nostalgic, bittersweet feeling with happy memories and regretful memories, a bit of sorrow... Very lyrical and lovely. I have a feeling that this will become my new favorite program from her! :D
When I first saw the practice pictures, I was not happy with her dress(well I'll be honest, I was mad), but in the video it looked much much better with her hair and make-up, so no complaint there for me! Even though she said she'd modify it if necessary, I don't think it would be a total make over. Maybe it would be adjusting sleeve line, add more beads here and there kind of stuff.
Can't wait for the LP now. Go go Yuna!! <3

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It is indeed a nostalgic, loving color. reminds me of the color of leaves in Autumn. Everything shall end, and then a new start. matches the theme of the music as well. Perhaps, if Yuna wanna modify the dress, they may dye the shirt/or other parts a little bit more maple red. etc. a little gradual change of tone would be a nice touch and feels more nostalgic.
the feeling of this program kinda like a leaf floating in the air in Autumn, or an old photo...

Ven

Match Penalty
After watching the performance some more and thinking everything over, here are my thoughts on Yuna's SP...keep in mind this is season debut and Yuna has just recently recovered from injury. Her stamina is not there and I don't expect a perfect skate at the beginning of the season. Any criticism should be considered in that light, however I have faith that like last year she will only improve and refine the program by Sochi. I'm worried at the beginning of the year but I expect to be left in awe by an immortal performance in February!

Music cut and overall impression:

Wow! Congrats Yuna and David on a terrific choice. This music is very nostalgic, happy and sad at the same time. I can only think "parting is such sweet sorrow" when I hear the music and watch Yuna skate her final SP at the same time. I am certain this will be one of Yuna's best SP if not very best, right there with Danse Macabre in my opinion. In fact if I think on it now, I'm inclined to say that Send in the Clowns is #1 because it's more beautiful and meaningful.

Yuna herself:

I can't help but worry that something is wrong with Yuna at the moment. Either she is just tired from the injury and being out of shape, or maybe something else is troubling her. I feel like last year, despite what she said in public, she was out to prove herself during her comeback, and she had tremendous focus and intensity even during practice runs. This week in Zagreb, from the practices to the competition, she seems distant. Some of her magic is not there. This can make all the difference, even without her magic and superior musicality, Yuna can make a big score and look beautiful skating a beautiful program. But ... it looks like a figure skating program rather than a timeless work of art. It looks like she is skating with music playing in the background, just a much better version of a figure skater compared to the other competitors.

But when Yuna is at her very best, she becomes one with the music and the program and she transcends the sport and time itself. Her very best performances are timeless.

Some ideas:

Though that magic was not there in today's SP, I think it can be by the Olympics. This has the potential to be a very very special program. I really trust that Yuna will polish the performance as the season progresses. There may be some room for subtle changes to expressions and choreography.

The biggest idea for improvement I can think of concerns her approach to the program. Yuna need not portray the nostalgic heroine from the musical -- she should portray her own nostalgic self! My technical knowledge of figure skating is limited, but is it possible she could add very simple elements to her choreography during transitions or step sequences? Could she add some very basic elements she first learned when she was a young girl? After the big jumps are out of the way I would love to see an emotional walk back through memory lane, what I envision in my mind is Yuna wistfully remembering her novice and junior and senior skating days and expressing this through choreography elements. I realize there are many technical requirements she must meet during the program but surely there are ways to weave these in? Just an idea!

Dress:

I have a mixed opinion on the dress. I am not against yellow, I think it's a bold and mature color for a woman to pull off. Given the right color and cut I think Yuna looks very beautiful in yellow. This is despite my preference for a white dress before Yuna debuted her costume.

That said, I'm not convinced about the shade of yellow for the dress. I think the designer was looking for something more autumn like, but it might be more beautiful to use a slightly brighter color. This would also impart a more mature look and contrast well against the sad elements of the program.

Finally, I think the embroidery or whatever it is looks bad. Yuna looks like a knight wearing chain mail. I think the fit of the dress could be better too.

Final impressions:

Good job Yuna 73 huge score! Your season debut was way better than any other program this year. Now the trick is to polish the program and turn it into another one of your masterpieces by the next two and a half months.

What I would love to see is a more mature looking and bright dress -- I want to see a mature, beautiful, grown up woman taking a trip down memory lane and remembering her journey from little girl to where she is now. That's the masterpiece that I think David and Yuna have set us up for. This SP should be a prelude to the final battle, her swansong, which is the LP. Before Yuna engages that challenge, the most difficult of her career, she returns to all of the memories of her skating and life, with tears and sadness but also with smiles and happiness. The journey prepares her for the LP and her final goodbye.

jatale

On the Ice
Ven, beautifully said!

Yuna does look a bit distant, but at other times she seems quite happy and content, so I don't think anything really serious is going on. Perhaps the realization that her competitive career is coming to a close has her a bit on edge, she has to skate her best now and through the Olympics because that is the end of the road. This is true for her and for all the other senior skaters planning on retirement after this season.

Ven

Match Penalty
Thanks jatale! I know I will never meet Yuna or even get to see her skate live, but I'm content to share any idea or simply offer words of encouragement. I hope she is fine and wish her good fortune on the rest of the season.

bebevia

On the Ice
Protocols: http://www.croskate.hr/Html/GSp13_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

In case you're all wondering, she did NOT average a 9 or higher for any component. She got 8.5 to 8.95.
I thought 73 was pretty high, but the protocols are not; I wonder what kind of 3-3's they were looking for to give +3... 0 for the flip from one judge? :scratch:

As for the dress, I don't think the biggest concern is the colour as everyone suggests. It's the sleeves! Thank god she's editing the costume somehow, but I really wish she'd make the process easier by cutting off the sleeves! One thing that got me frowning last year was Yuna's crotch issues (...), vertical wrinkles bunching up time to time; seems that's not happening on her Clowns dress (sigh).

The designer's design qualities are good, but dated. She's well known in dance sports (ballroom), and her focus is not in figure skating. I don't get why Yuna's with her when all fresh, experienced Korean designers wouldn't hesitate a second to do her costumes, probably at a discount price too if not free. I've even seen really great, young designs from other existing Korean figure skating costume designers, so I wonder what the connection is to her.

desertskates

Medalist
Thanks for the welcome @mathman :) I agree with the people that say it's a warm and nostalgic color. But it's also (at least imo), a color that if you were looking at houses and found that color within, you'd think "oh, that HAS to go". She's such a beautiful woman and skater that there's got to be a better way to bring out the feeling of nostalgia through costuming that will leave the majority of people thinking, wow--gorgeous!!
But in watching the program a few more times, I really love it (that 3-3 combo, wow!), and look forward to seeing her long.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Great skate by Yuna:biggrin: But I do think 73 is a tad bit high, but it's in a reasonable range.(expected more like 70~71). Also, these judges are just everywhere when it comes to GOE.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
... It's the sleeves! ...
Agreed, the sleeves is quite distracting of Yuna's beautiful fingers, hands, and arms. I was really really impressed by the feeling Yuna projected in her SP practice ending pose. somehow, I dont get the feeling in the competition...

Peach

Rinkside
Great skate by Yuna:biggrin: But I do think 73 is a tad bit high, but it's in a reasonable range.(expected more like 70~71). Also, these judges are just everywhere when it comes to GOE.

I don't think it was high. If you look at the protocol, it's not like she got massive GOE's on all her elements. Her PCS is well-earned since everyone's PCS went up this season. Even if her PCS was a bit lower, it would still be 73 or near 73.

penguin

On the Ice
Steps preceding is only one criteria for determining +GOE, though. The others are: (1) Unexpected, creative, or difficult entry (2), Varied position in the air, (3) Height and/or distance, (4) Superior extension on landing or creative exit, (5) Superior flow in and out.

Surely she hit 2 or more of those other points. (I'd give her height/distance, extension, and flow.) Not saying that flip needed +3, but a 0 seems strange.

McIce

Rinkside
Steps preceding is only one criteria for determining +GOE, though. The others are: (1) Unexpected, creative, or difficult entry (2), Varied position in the air, (3) Height and/or distance, (4) Superior extension on landing or creative exit, (5) Superior flow in and out.

Surely she hit 2 or more of those other points. (I'd give her height/distance, extension, and flow.) Not saying that flip needed +3, but a 0 seems strange.

You have to have steps preceding triple jump that is not a combination or axel in SP. It's a requirement. If you don't have it, judges should deduct GOE.

thinspread

On the Ice
She is a veteran who knows what she does, and in good hands of the capable and attentive coaches. Besides, she said she might have to adjust her routine and steps to accommodate for the size of the competition rink.

I thought 73 was pretty high, but the protocols are not; I wonder what kind of 3-3's they were looking for to give +3... 0 for the flip from one judge? :scratch:

As for the dress, I don't think the biggest concern is the colour as everyone suggests. It's the sleeves! Thank god she's editing the costume somehow, but I really wish she'd make the process easier by cutting off the sleeves! One thing that got me frowning last year was Yuna's crotch issues (...), vertical wrinkles bunching up time to time; seems that's not happening on her Clowns dress (sigh).

The designer's design qualities are good, but dated. She's well known in dance sports (ballroom), and her focus is not in figure skating. I don't get why Yuna's with her when all fresh, experienced Korean designers wouldn't hesitate a second to do her costumes, probably at a discount price too if not free. I've even seen really great, young designs from other existing Korean figure skating costume designers, so I wonder what the connection is to her.

I doubt there's any pre-existing connection, and I think there should be a better choice. But Yuna wouldn't want to invite a bidding war for her competitive or show skating costumes. Besides, the current Korean designer of her hire was responsible for her Vampire, Les Miz, and ATS costumes, which were mostly good.

I too think a loose fit is worse than a tight fit. But there's possibility that a skater's fit would differ between the measure date and the competition date.

penguin

On the Ice
You have to have steps preceding triple jump that is not a combination or axel in SP. It's a requirement. If you don't have it, judges should deduct GOE.

She does 2 backward crossovers, a step forward (choctaw), a rocker, a mohawk, a 3-turn, then flip. Those are steps.