Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bara1968 View Post
    I was so happy to see Yuna competing again!

For her Sp, I loved, loved the first half. Her skating skill/spin seems to be improved and she was very fast and smooth on the jumps as usual. For the second half, she struggled bit on the landing on 2A (fully rotated) but she put it together after the mistake. It is indeed her first competition after the injury, and she only had one month to prepare for the competition. I would say, it was very successful comeback!

I have a very high expectation on her, and I am 110% satisfied by the choreo and the music cut. I bet in Sochi, if she's on and clean, this program has a potential to be epic. + I do hope that she can participate one more small or big competition before Sochi.

I just want to thank Yuna for the wonderful performance, once again. It's really good to have her back!
    I agree.

Protocols: http://www.croskate.hr/Html/GSp13_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

In case you're all wondering, she did NOT average a 9 or higher for any component. She got 8.5 to 8.95.

She also said that she is worried abt her stamina for the lp... break a leg yuna

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Thank you! It's a lovely program. Compared to the last season's first outing at NRW, the spins, steps, all look better. Well done, Yuna!

Not sure about the costume, the color. It does look better in video than in photos, and the people present at the arena reported that it was beautiful live.

She seemed a bit tired during the practice today. I hope it's not something outside conditioning or jet lag.

Custom Title
    Except for the step-out, technically it was pretty great. I just can't get enough of her silky 3lutz-3toe.

Custom Title
    Yuna looked a little tired in practices and after today's Sp - or bothered by something. Still she really is awesome. I was also very into Miki's program. Very fitting music. I am not a fan of her's at all but I think it's a lovely program though she needs work on that last spin.

Yuna admits to worrying about her stamina for the LP, so that's something to consider. I hope she does OK in the second half.

Custom Title
    I do think this was not an easy outing for her - reports say the rink was smaller and the ice softer than she was used to, changes that probably caused her to restrain herself a little.
    I actually don't mind the dress so much. Obviously the color is unexpected but she makes it work, you really don't see women going for chartreuse very often because it's a tough color to handle, but I think she was going for a sense of nostalgia. It's a nostalgic, loving color.

Custom Title
    Yuna will need to compete in a couple more competitions if she wants to be ready for Sochi. It would be ill advised if she's not competing again until the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    i believe yuna mentioned in her interview after her SP.. there will be changes with this costume..
    Although I don't think it is as bad as some here are saying I will agree that her costume is far from her more memorable ones of past years. I immediately thought of Ashley's costume at the 2013 Worlds, which reminded me of a mustard explosion. http://www.goldenskate.com/wp-conten...2013US_SLL.jpg

Anyway, a good performance although the magic isn't quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yuna will need to compete in a couple more competitions if she wants to be ready for Sochi. It would be ill advised if she's not competing again until the Olympics.
    Two more? I think one more at most. It seems some people are reading too much into her 2Axel stumble. She just lost a little focus on the easiest jump, which happens occasionally with many skaters. Look at her 3/3 and 3flip--they're perfect.

She needs to build on her stamina and maintain focus. But again, this is minor--like her bizarre fall in the SP at Korean Nationals last season. In a way, this a good lesson. It will remind her to be more diligent in Sochi.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the videos!
    I'm so happy for Yuna. This is such a lovely program. Really lovely. A bit nostalgic, bittersweet feeling with happy memories and regretful memories, a bit of sorrow... Very lyrical and lovely. I have a feeling that this will become my new favorite program from her! :D
    When I first saw the practice pictures, I was not happy with her dress(well I'll be honest, I was mad), but in the video it looked much much better with her hair and make-up, so no complaint there for me! Even though she said she'd modify it if necessary, I don't think it would be a total make over. Maybe it would be adjusting sleeve line, add more beads here and there kind of stuff.
    Can't wait for the LP now. Go go Yuna!! <3

Custom Title
    It is indeed a nostalgic, loving color. reminds me of the color of leaves in Autumn. Everything shall end, and then a new start. matches the theme of the music as well. Perhaps, if Yuna wanna modify the dress, they may dye the shirt/or other parts a little bit more maple red. etc. a little gradual change of tone would be a nice touch and feels more nostalgic.
    the feeling of this program kinda like a leaf floating in the air in Autumn, or an old photo...

Banned
    After watching the performance some more and thinking everything over, here are my thoughts on Yuna's SP...keep in mind this is season debut and Yuna has just recently recovered from injury. Her stamina is not there and I don't expect a perfect skate at the beginning of the season. Any criticism should be considered in that light, however I have faith that like last year she will only improve and refine the program by Sochi. I'm worried at the beginning of the year but I expect to be left in awe by an immortal performance in February!

Music cut and overall impression:

Wow! Congrats Yuna and David on a terrific choice. This music is very nostalgic, happy and sad at the same time. I can only think "parting is such sweet sorrow" when I hear the music and watch Yuna skate her final SP at the same time. I am certain this will be one of Yuna's best SP if not very best, right there with Danse Macabre in my opinion. In fact if I think on it now, I'm inclined to say that Send in the Clowns is #1 because it's more beautiful and meaningful.

Yuna herself:

I can't help but worry that something is wrong with Yuna at the moment. Either she is just tired from the injury and being out of shape, or maybe something else is troubling her. I feel like last year, despite what she said in public, she was out to prove herself during her comeback, and she had tremendous focus and intensity even during practice runs. This week in Zagreb, from the practices to the competition, she seems distant. Some of her magic is not there. This can make all the difference, even without her magic and superior musicality, Yuna can make a big score and look beautiful skating a beautiful program. But ... it looks like a figure skating program rather than a timeless work of art. It looks like she is skating with music playing in the background, just a much better version of a figure skater compared to the other competitors.

But when Yuna is at her very best, she becomes one with the music and the program and she transcends the sport and time itself. Her very best performances are timeless.

Some ideas:

Though that magic was not there in today's SP, I think it can be by the Olympics. This has the potential to be a very very special program. I really trust that Yuna will polish the performance as the season progresses. There may be some room for subtle changes to expressions and choreography.

The biggest idea for improvement I can think of concerns her approach to the program. Yuna need not portray the nostalgic heroine from the musical -- she should portray her own nostalgic self! My technical knowledge of figure skating is limited, but is it possible she could add very simple elements to her choreography during transitions or step sequences? Could she add some very basic elements she first learned when she was a young girl? After the big jumps are out of the way I would love to see an emotional walk back through memory lane, what I envision in my mind is Yuna wistfully remembering her novice and junior and senior skating days and expressing this through choreography elements. I realize there are many technical requirements she must meet during the program but surely there are ways to weave these in? Just an idea!

Dress:

I have a mixed opinion on the dress. I am not against yellow, I think it's a bold and mature color for a woman to pull off. Given the right color and cut I think Yuna looks very beautiful in yellow. This is despite my preference for a white dress before Yuna debuted her costume.

That said, I'm not convinced about the shade of yellow for the dress. I think the designer was looking for something more autumn like, but it might be more beautiful to use a slightly brighter color. This would also impart a more mature look and contrast well against the sad elements of the program.

Finally, I think the embroidery or whatever it is looks bad. Yuna looks like a knight wearing chain mail. I think the fit of the dress could be better too.

Final impressions:

Good job Yuna 73 huge score! Your season debut was way better than any other program this year. Now the trick is to polish the program and turn it into another one of your masterpieces by the next two and a half months.

What I would love to see is a more mature looking and bright dress -- I want to see a mature, beautiful, grown up woman taking a trip down memory lane and remembering her journey from little girl to where she is now. That's the masterpiece that I think David and Yuna have set us up for. This SP should be a prelude to the final battle, her swansong, which is the LP. Before Yuna engages that challenge, the most difficult of her career, she returns to all of the memories of her skating and life, with tears and sadness but also with smiles and happiness. The journey prepares her for the LP and her final goodbye.

Custom Title
    Ven, beautifully said!

Yuna does look a bit distant, but at other times she seems quite happy and content, so I don't think anything really serious is going on. Perhaps the realization that her competitive career is coming to a close has her a bit on edge, she has to skate her best now and through the Olympics because that is the end of the road. This is true for her and for all the other senior skaters planning on retirement after this season.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast