Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    She does 2 backward crossovers, a step forward (choctaw), a rocker, a mohawk, a 3-turn, then flip. Those are steps.
    Yes, she did have steps preceding the flip. I am not arguing that. I'm just saying the rule requires you to have steps.

No steps/movements preceding the solo jump = -3, with required negative GOE overall. Break between the steps and the jump, or only one step/movement before the jump = -1 to -2 GOE, but positive factors can be combined to make 0 or positive GOE overall. Judges are usually quite generous about what constitutes a "skating movement" and what constitutes a "break."

At this point in time, I do prefer some of her competitors' short programs over this one. However, it has always taken me a while to warm up to each and every one of her competitive programs, with the exception of her Bond Medley SP and Homage to Korea FS. With that said, I think it's a perfectly adequate program, and I'm sure she'll polish it up in the weeks to come.

HD Picture of her dress - http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Y...KVJjpNcFzx.jpg

I'm not a very big fan of the dress; I wasn't in the video, and I'm even more convinced of that looking at the picture. The yellow does nothing for her complexion, be it olive green, olive yellow, mustard yellow, mustard green, or whatever color you want to describe it as. I don't care much for it. I do like the design of the dress though, but I agree with other posters who say that this dress is not her best product of collaboration.

Yuna made a mistake on her double axel. Stop making excuses for her. She's human, she made a mistake. Let's move on and look towards the LP. I know I'm looking forward to that.

Custom Title
    She does 2 backward crossovers, a step forward (choctaw), a rocker, a mohawk, a 3-turn, then flip. Those are steps.
    Crossovers and a 3-turn into a flip count as steps?

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Crossovers and a 3-turn into a flip count as steps?
    Nice of you to ignore the choctaw, rocker, and mohawk.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I like this program a lot, and her dress looks great to me, she will certainly stand out between all the red, black, purple and blues we are going to see in Sochi, and the cut is romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    At this point in time, I do prefer some of her competitors' short programs over this one. However, it has always taken me a while to warm up to each and every one of her competitive programs, with the exception of her Bond Medley SP and Homage to Korea FS. With that said, I think it's a perfectly adequate program, and I'm sure she'll polish it up in the weeks to come.

HD Picture of her dress - http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Y...KVJjpNcFzx.jpg

I'm not a very big fan of the dress; I wasn't in the video, and I'm even more convinced of that looking at the picture. The yellow does nothing for her complexion, be it olive green, olive yellow, mustard yellow, mustard green, or whatever color you want to describe it as. I don't care much for it. I do like the design of the dress though, but I agree with other posters who say that this dress is not her best product of collaboration.

Yuna made a mistake on her double axel. Stop making excuses for her. She's human, she made a mistake. Let's move on and look towards the LP. I know I'm looking forward to that.
    What excuses are being made? At most some people are trying to read too hard into it (she's "off", she's "tired", etc.). All I'm thinking is she had a momentary lapse in concentration/focus. It happens. In fact she had a similar mistake back in 2008 Skate America SP: she nailed her 3/3 and solo triple, then actually fell on her 2Axel. No injuries or anything. Pure mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by tana View Post
    I think we can safely say now that Mao Asada will easily be the leader in the short program at Sochi. Now Mao only needs to do well in lp too, then OGM is hers for taking.
    Indeed. From this SP we can safely say Kim's chances at a second OGM is doomed.

I think we can safely say now that Mao Asada will easily be the leader in the short program at Sochi. Now Mao only needs to do well in lp too, then OGM is hers for taking.
    ? Mao scored 72 for a near perfect performance and Kim scored a 73 here with fairly "low" PCS. Can you explain your comment? I am truly confused.

Custom Title
    Re: costume -- I didn't like the dress in the still photo linked, but I liked it in the program, except for the looseness at the wrists. But I liked the long sleeves overall and thought they accentuated her arms in a nice way, and that overall the dress presented nice outlines as she moved.

Custom Title
    sarcasm... gotcha.

Well, oakily doakily then.

Custom Title
    Nice of you to ignore the choctaw, rocker, and mohawk.
    Well you made it sound like more than it was. But like I said if you consider one 3-turn "step" then she did "steps" immediately preceding the jump. Apparently one judge didn't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Well you made it sound like more than it was. But like I said if you consider one 3-turn "step" then she did "steps" immediately preceding the jump. Apparently one judge didn't agree with you.
    How can I make it sound like more than it was by just listing the steps she did? It's you who said "No steps going into it at all," which is making it sound like less than it was.

I don't consider a single 3-turn into a flip enough to count as the steps requirement since it's part of the jump setup. But I do consider the things I listed -- choctaw, rocker, mohawk, then the 3-turn into flip -- to be introductory steps. Not "zero."

Whichever way it goes, welcome Tana! Thanks for joining us.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast