Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

Custom Title
    ^Her LP today certainly lacked killer instinct. Or any instinct, really.

Custom Title
    Give Yuna some time to recover. She is just getting out of her two-month long injury. Hats off to her for still making a great effort all the same. She will freshen up again in the next two months for the big one.

Custom Title
    Her Jump mistakes(2A in short, 3Lz in free) are due to overturn, and I don't worry about that.

And Free components' levels...maybe these are about stamina.

It's a very tight program, and she already said her stamina is not the best. (Can just perform FP, there's no room for stamina yet.)

Just one month from injury, it's more than 2 months to Olympics.

Increase stamina, components' level check, and Adoption for small rink(Sochi stadium is also small)...

That's that. Enough time for her.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    Or any instinct, really.
    I find that very hard to believe. Surely, she must need some sort of general instinct to function!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PftJump View Post
    (Sochi stadium is also small)...
    I've heard that somewhere else also, but isn't the stadium brand new? How can it be small, especially for the Olympics, wouldn't that be a disqualifying thing for an Olympic venue?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I've heard that somewhere else also, but isn't the stadium brand new? How can it be small, especially for the Olympics, wouldn't that be a disqualifying thing for an Olympic venue?
    I wonder if that means the stadium including seating or the skating surface. I don't believe they would make the rink itself smaller than Olympic size.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Thinking of it now, one thing I did not like is that Wilson uses the same old moves, especially her hand and head positions which by the way, half juniors girls are copying the last couple years. Something risky like Shostakovich Program of Costner, or her Bolero would have been something I d like Yuna to try.

Custom Title
    Not about area, it's ratio of length and breadth.

That affects Yuna's Huge 3-3.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Thinking of it now, one thing I did not like is that Wilson uses the same old moves, especially her hand and head positions which by the way, half juniors girls are copying the last couple years. Something risky like Shostakovich Program of Costner, or her Bolero would have been something I d like Yuna to try.
    While I still think Wilson is very talented and his works are still very well-made, I just feel that he's lacking versatility post-Vancouver - perhaps due to busy schedule and mass produced choreographies burning out inspiration.

When seeing Yuna and Mao, I wish they'd swap their choreographers for a change; I always wanted Tarasova for Yuna - she can easily fire up the Russian intensity -, and Mao should try Wilson to accentuate her assets. At the moment, Yuna's programs - not Yuna's execution or ability - are falling under mannerism, only exciting by her expressiveness, and Mao is dragged by her TT programs instead of owning it.

Custard Title
    On a non-Yuna note, I'd just like to say congratulations to Miki - she improved her scores at this competition and is no longer in danger of having her combined score beaten by Yuna's LP.

Custom Title
    The rink of Iceberg Palace in Sochi isn't small (30x60m), I think it is normal size. For example the Fukuoka rink and TEB rink are also 30x60. The Vancouver Olympic rink was slightly bigger (30x61).

I think Yuna had difficulties in adjusting her speed and jumps to the small rink in Zagreb. It was only 28m x 58m. The size of the rink can make a huge difference.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Like the freeskate, thought it was overscoreed by 8pts or so, but what can you say? Mao is definetly looking better technically, Yu Na didn't try a 2xel-3toe and has 3 salchows, which get minimum points. I think she she think about doing a second triple flip in the second half, as a three jump combo and add the 2axel 3 tor again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Like the freeskate, thought it was overscoreed by 8pts or so, but what can you say? Mao is definetly looking better technically, Yu Na didn't try a 2xel-3toe and has 3 salchows, which get minimum points. I think she she think about doing a second triple flip in the second half, as a three jump combo and add the 2axel 3 tor again.
    Technically, Mao has a UR issue on almost her every jump.

She can't be better before correct that.

Before anyone read too much from this competition and say she's doomed, I'd say consider:
    *The Grand Prix series in 2009: she had a meltdown at Skate America LP, then made numerous stumbles in the GPF leading up to Vancouver.
    *2011 Worlds when everyone thought Yuna was done, beaten by Miki Ando
    *Early in her return, her performances at NRW Trophy were flawed and in Korean Nationals SP she fell and popped her opening 3/3.

In all cases she learned and rose to unparalleled heights from those mistakes. Yuna has learned to peak at the right time: Worlds before Olympics, and Olympics. I'm cautiously optimistic she can do it again.

She spoke rather candidly in the post-competition interviews about what she needs to work on: stamina, steps, spins, choreography and expression. She mentions having had just a short time to fully "digest" her LP and so she will continue to work on it to make it better.

And yes, she even mentioned her costumes still need work!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Before anyone read too much from this competition and say she's doomed, I'd say consider:
    *The Grand Prix series in 2009: she had a meltdown at Skate America LP, then made numerous stumbles in the GPF leading up to Vancouver.
    *2011 Worlds when everyone thought Yuna was done, beaten by Miki Ando
    *Early in her return, her performances at NRW Trophy were flawed and in Korean Nationals SP she fell and popped her opening 3/3.

In all cases she learned and rose to unparalleled heights from those mistakes. Yuna has learned to peak at the right time: Worlds before Olympics, and Olympics. I'm cautiously optimistic she can do it again.

She spoke rather candidly in the post-competition interviews about what she needs to work on: stamina, steps, spins, choreography and expression. She mentions having had just a short time to fully "digest" her LP and so she will continue to work on it to make it better.

And yes, she even mentioned her costumes still need work!

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast