Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Those banners are so elaborate. Centuries from now, when the history books get all muddled, people are actually going to think Yu Na Kim was a queen lol. All that's left is to put her face on some money...

This is (erm, will be) truth.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Wow!! I especially love Yuna's SP (the LP looks great too, but she skipped so much of the choreo I couldn't get an overall impression of it yet). But the SP is majestic. Reminds me of Kwan's East of Eden. Gorgeous inside-outside spread eagle into double axel. And her jumps are spot on.

Sara

On the Ice
Yuna's post-practice interview (copied from Yuna Forum http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4884&st=340)

"There are a lot of different varieties in tango. It is bound to be compared [with Roxanne] since there is a limit on what you can choreograph on the ice and some parts may look similar, but I had not a bit of Tango de Roxanne in my mind when I prepared this program."

"I haven't thought about any keywords for the Free Skate. Since this piece is an elegy for grandfather, I tried to imbue the memories of spending happy days with him."

Kim Yu-Na wanted to emphasize there is a distinctive feel of tango compared to the short program despite the similar emotions contained in the SP.

She also said she still needs to polish the program. "It's been only recent that my stamina and health was finally ready to digest the program, if not perfectly. I still need more time to perfect it."

"It's difficult because there are no moments of respite but when it's done well, it's an excellent program. I shall continue to work on it to make even more perfect till the Olympics."

"As long as I don't get nervous, I should be able to finish the competition without big mistakes."

"Every skater is exposed to the risk of injury; however, I still have time until the Olympics and shouldn't have a problem preparing for it."

As for the ongoing Grand Prix Final happening in Japan, "Since the events are overlapped, I'll be able to have some competition jitters but focus sharply on my performance."

Asked about her post-Sochi plans, "I would take a rest, first and foremost," she smiled.

Asked to give her thoughts on 2018 Olympics, "I won't be able to continue on until then but it's going to be a great experience for young Korean skaters since a big competition is rarely held in Korea. It was a privilege and honor for me to participate in the bidding process, and I'm happy that Pyeongchang will host the Olympics."

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I really like Yuna's Tango it suits her perfectly and also very happy she chose this music arrangement, it is one of my favorites.

Yuna is looking and skating quite fabulous!

Thanks to all for the updates.

flying camel

Medalist
Wow, I loved the long program. The parts she showed of the choreography was fantastic. The jumps look great also. That does look like an Olympic program. Who did the choreography? Who is coaching her now?

Jewels

On the Ice
Wow, I loved the long program. The parts she showed of the choreography was fantastic. The jumps look great also. That does look like an Olympic program. Who did the choreography? Who is coaching her now?

I think they are same as the last season- choreographer: David Wilson, coach: Hye-sook Shin, Jong-hyun Ryu

MiRé

Match Penalty
Oh my goodness...just a day ago, the view count on the SP was about 30K, and now it's 420k+.....It's pretty darn amazing how she gets all these views on just a practice video! I can't even imagine how many views she'll get on the actual performance.

RABID

Final Flight

David Wilson is the choreographer (of course), but as far as coaches go it is my belief that she only needs coaches chiefly for objective feedback. She is a finished product and for the most part doesn't really need top-tier coaches anymore. Her coaches now are former Korean coaches from her younger years. I wouldn't be surprised if the reasons she went back to them were chiefly out of fondness and "closing the circle" of her competitive career. I hope DW is in attendance for her at Sochi. :love:

Robeye

Final Flight
David Wilson is the choreographer (of course), but as far as coaches go it is my belief that she only needs coaches chiefly for objective feedback. She is a finished product and for the most part doesn't really need top-tier coaches anymore. Her coaches now are former Korean coaches from her younger years. I wouldn't be surprised if the reasons she went back to them were chiefly out of fondness and "closing the circle" of her competitive career. I hope DW is in attendance for her at Sochi. :love:
From what I hear, her coaches Shin and Ryu are damned good coaches, very rigorous and exacting. If they could speak good English, I would say that non-Koreans should consider going to them, even as a kind of module, for fundamentally sound technical training, jumps in particular.

EDIT: OTOH, I have been made to understand that the ice facilities in Korea actually kinda suck, so...:p

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I don't think it's jazzy. Me too didn't expect that version of the music. Still it's a quintessential Piazzolla tango. I had expected the program wouldn't be a typical tango. I feel it's layers deeper than her Tango de Roxanne. It's obviously a very demanding routine. I think she's a very talented dancer besides being a great skater. The choreography is filled with assymetrical movements, which will need huge stamina to pull it off with intended nuances till the end. Yuna and David Wilson again went with an ambitious concept for the Olympic season.
:thumbsup::love:

junesong2

Rinkside
From what I hear, her coaches Shin and Ryu are damned good coaches, very rigorous and exacting. If they could speak good English, I would say that non-Koreans should consider going to them, even as a kind of module, for fundamentally sound technical training, jumps in particular.

EDIT: OTOH, I have been made to understand that the ice facilities in Korea actually kinda suck, so...:p
Ice facilities for figure skating in Korea is pretty pathetic at best. Even to this day, Yuna has been practicing on the hockey rink where ice itself is much harder than ideal figure ice.

smoothiw

Rinkside

RABID

Final Flight

I stand corrected. :slink:

cheerio2

On the Ice

They are really excellent coaches, especially on jumps and skating skills. I think they also helped Yuna quite a bit after she took that year long break. I felt that at NRW 2012, Yuna's jumps were not as great as they had been before, but by Worlds the jumps looked wonderful. And I think her jumps look even better than they did at Worlds (more distance it seems)!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
They are really excellent coaches, especially on jumps and skating skills. I think they also helped Yuna quite a bit after she took that year long break. I felt that at NRW 2012, Yuna's jumps were not as great as they had been before, but by Worlds the jumps looked wonderful. And I think her jumps look even better than they did at Worlds (more distance it seems)!
exactly! also, visibly improvement in skating skills!!!!!!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
That would make sense ... but it's a Rudy Galindo video and not a Yuna Kim video.

So it doesn't make sense.

Mao and Yuna have always been classy. The fans are a completely different story, depending.

Not really feeling it so far, but it's only a practice video. Going to reserve real judgment until the actual program--but it is a DW-YK partnership so I suppose I'll like it all the same. Soaring jumps at 80-90% though. WHOA.

What does Rudy Galindo have anything to do with my previous comment? I haven't seen any Rudy Galindo video, only Yuna's runthroughs. I was talking about the media paying attention to Yuna Kim versus the GPF.

And I also commented on how classy Yuna's remarks were regarding Mao. Why bring the fans into it? I know how some of them act too. I don't need you pointing it out to me. That to me was irrelevant to Yuna's gracious comments.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What does Rudy Galindo have anything to do with my previous comment? I haven't seen any Rudy Galindo video, only Yuna's runthroughs. I was talking about the media paying attention to Yuna Kim versus the GPF.

Hey, you're the one who quoted me. I was just answering you.

Like so:

this is the program I think of when I think of Send In The Clowns - http://youtu.be/oCCEtJ42hwM
Who's been sippin' haterade again? There are so many dislikes on that video!
Yuna's competing the same weekend as the GPF - naturally Golden Spin is going to be watched just as closely as that Final! And it's not Yuna's fault if the media pays even more attention to this competition and if it happens to upstage the GPF so be it!

So Rudy Galindo has everything to do with my comment, but nothing with yours. Mistake in communication, I suppose.

And I also commented on how classy Yuna's remarks were regarding Mao. Why bring the fans into it? I know how some of them act too. I don't need you pointing it out to me. That to me was irrelevant to Yuna's gracious comments.

To me, they are. But if you don't need me pointing them out to you, that's fine. Just ignore what I write.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States