Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Longevity of Figure Skating Fans

I wish I had started this thread because I ask myself the same question at the start of every new season.

My interest began in the early 70s, particularly the 1972 Olympics. As a non-athletic type, I was dazzled by what the skaters could do on that thin blade, just as I was by gymnasts. Also back then it was easier to keep up with the sport since so much of it was broadcast on ABC’s Wide World of Sports and such. Now I struggle to find scraps of news on the Internet and in forums like this, which, of course pales in comparison to seeing the actual skating competitions.

Michelle Kwan kept me interested until 2006, then Alissa Czisny captured my attention, both because she is an exquisite skater (if not competitor) and because she is from Bowling Green, Ohio where I completed my undergraduate degree. I want to see the “hometown girl” succeed.

I’m assuming Alissa will retire from skating after this season, and after the Sochi games, I’m retiring from it too. It just all seems to have lost its punch and sparkle, I’m tired of the “one season wonders”, I don’t get to watch it anymore, and I’m over the nastiness that crops up on the forums, so it’ll be a natural, gradual withdraw. * sigh *

Custom Title
    I've been a fan since 1968. I've remained so because I simply like to watch figure skating. Back in the day, Wide World of Sports. More recently there was a time when there was a lot of skating on TV and I watched every minute of it. I started actually going to skating comps in 1995, Nationals in Providence, RI. Been going when they are within driving distance ever since.

I was a Michelle fan, but sort of looked forward to after-Michelle because then I could watch without worrying, much like the OP. As happens in life - be careful what you wish for. Post-Michelle came COP, which I despise and has greatly reduced my enjoyment of the sport. Then came the relative disappearance of figure skating from TV. I haven't watched Worlds in two years.

I'm watching this year on Sundays and I'm going to Nats in Boston. I will probably go to Worlds in Boston. After that I can't say. Attending events isn't as fun as it used to be, what with all the security, specifically not being allowed to bring food into the arena - a pure money grab in my opinion, and the ever increasing price of tickets. The ticket price is right on the edge of what I am willing to pay. Upon my arrival in Reading one year I got kicked out of my reserved hotel at a Skate America and moved to a junky hotel. This left a very bad taste in my mouth. The one hit wonders do not help either, nor do the formulaic programs that have become a big part of skating from some formerly creative national programs.

It all adds up. I still love figure skating, but maybe not the figure skating that exists today. I will be giving it until Worlds in Boston, but if I can't regain my interest it may be time for me and figure skating to go our separate ways.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Not gonna lie, I started in the early nineties.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3