Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Oksana Baiul- what is her standing in the sport and how is she today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is Oksana at fifteen. If you compare this to what todays wunderkinder can do, you can see why us old-timers never really embraced the CoP.

2003 worlds SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQBBXDId-g
    Oh I remember simply enjoyable to watch!!!! ( 1993 worlds SP)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Here is the latest Oksana news as of last month. She is suing her agency, William Morris, for 170 million dollars.

http://www.thewrap.com/gold-medalist...espread-theft/
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    There's no way that in the real world a publicity agency could do 170 million dollars' worth of damage to a figure skater, is there? Who is advising her?
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Well that's comparing 5 years of earnings versus almost 20 for Baiul. Still $170 million sounds like a lot lol ....
    A few thoughts:

- The role of William Morris, as a talent agency, goes waaaay beyond publicity. It would have been negotiating and managing all of Baiul's income-generating deals.

- According to the article, the $170 million includes not only compensatory damages (including interest, which compounded over many years would add up), but also punitive damages (presumably hefty).

- $170 million is the total amount that Baiul's lawsuit is seeking from multiple defendants (not only William Morris).

- I'm not a lawyer, but I believe it might be standard operating procedure for plaintiffs to name sky-high amounts in such lawsuits, with the hope that defendants will agree to settle for slightly more down-to-earth -- but still very sizable -- amounts.

Custom Title
    Oksana has had one business venture after another. Skating costume designs. Jewelry designs she hawked on QVC. Each one came with a different 'fiance' who vanished after the business foundered and failed. Her latest fiance is the lawyer who is pushing this lawsuit. Quel surprise!

Custom Title
    I have to say, that gold medal seems sometimes to have done Oksana more harm than good. Meanwhile, Nancy seems to be at peace with herself. She has married and brought up a family, lives pretty much under the radar, and still skates occasionally. (The awful occurrence of her father's death at her brother's hands isn't related to any hunger for fame or wild living on her part.)

Except for that year of great achievement, where Oksana was at the brief peak of her skating skills, she seems to have become someone whose passage through life it's very painful to watch.

Custom Title
    Here is Oksana at fifteen. If you compare this to what todays wunderkinder can do, you can see why us old-timers never really embraced the CoP.

2003 worlds SP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQBBXDId-g
    Beautiful skate, but I wonder, on the forums then, were her costuming and hair and make-up criticized the way that of skaters is today. Thinking of the many critiques of Gracie's lp costume this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Beautiful skate, but I wonder, on the forums then, were her costuming and hair and make-up criticized the way that of skaters is today. Thinking of the many critiques of Gracie's lp costume this year.
    Oops. It was 1993, not 2003. There weren't any Internet skating forums then.

Here is the latest Oksana news as of last month. She is suing her agency, William Morris, for 170 million dollars.

http://www.thewrap.com/gold-medalist...espread-theft/
    In this way Oksana is the international skating version of Tonya Harding - bad publicity is better than none. Oksana has never figured out how to live outside the spotlight - probably because she translated that early on as a way to feel the love missing from her life. It's sad. She's definitely the figure skating equivalent to a child actor gone wrong.

Still she HAS come a long way from her "rebellious teenage behavior".

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    commentators and talking heads didn't like her pink dress, that much I remember.

Custom Title
    Yeah but the girl didn't have $13,000 for a Vera Wang either. She has done smoe great exhibitions and shows and she is a pure and rare talent. Sad she had some struggles though.

Custom Title
    As I recall, Kerrigan didn't pay for the dress. Vera Wang may have donated it. It was great publicity for her, and she as a former skater would have been happy to have her name associated with a possible Olympic champion. The Kerrigans were not wealthy.

After Nancy was assaulted, Vera I'm sure wanted to do something good for her. Sad that Oksana is still the same diva that mistakenly won the gold. She was amazing tho in a few skates in her teen years. She hit at the height of the money fame. Kwan was getting a million an appearance so Oksana likely was making much money, but that much? Seems unlikely.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    To my mind, she was one of those who captured lightning... but it was fleeting.

She had a compelling and sympathetic story and she was a good skater.

She will not go down in history as one of the great Olympic champions, but she deserved the win, I suppose. I preferred Kerrigan's skate, but I can see why the slim majority of judges preferred Oksana.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    As I recall, Kerrigan didn't pay for the dress. Vera Wang may have donated it. It was great publicity for her, and she as a former skater would have been happy to have her name associated with a possible Olympic champion. The Kerrigans were not wealthy.
    Yes this. They were at best middle class. Her mother didn't work, and there were three children. IIRC her dad had a decent job but not a super great one.

and Kerrigan skated in an era (mainly) that allowed for minimum sponsorships... though she made it big right around the time the rules were relaxed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Yes this. They were at best middle class. Her mother didn't work, and there were three children. IIRC her dad had a decent job but not a super great one.
    Nancy's mother couldn't work because she was seriously visually impaired. She had to sit literally an inch in front of the TV screen to be able to see her daughter skate at all.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast