Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Oksana Baiul- what is her standing in the sport and how is she today?

She is one of my favorite skaters. Before 1998, her programs were wonderful, and after 1998 it's almost as though she stopped trying. Her life is a tragedy. It wasn't fair to Kerrigan not to win the gold, but back then, the artistic impression was the tie-breaker. It was a poorly judged event. Some even said Oksana shouldn't even have won the bronze, as some ladies did a lot more technically. In that field, however, Oksana's natural artistic capabilities outclassed everyone else, and she was given much higher marks on that regard which covered up some of her technical deficiencies. It shouldn't have happened, but at the time, pre-Michelle/Yuna, she was a very special jewel. No one has moved on the ice like her ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Nancy's mother couldn't work because she was seriously visually impaired. She had to sit literally an inch in front of the TV screen to be able to see her daughter skate at all.
    Yes I know. I meant no disrespect to her mother and no values judgment whatsoever- just stating the facts about their financial state.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    There's no way that in the real world a publicity agency could do 170 million dollars' worth of damage to a figure skater, is there? Who is advising her?
    Money-hungry attorneys and her vulnerability. Just a while ago, I read she sued some network for millions. Litigation seems to be a part of her game now. I'm worried that it's her attorneys making all the money, and she'll end up broke. She is probably nearly broke anyway, or she won't come up with fantastical lawsuits to milk some cash. Back in the 90s, there were rumors she spent 40K in one shopping spree. I can't imagine all the millions she made in the 90s are still intact.

I'm wondering how they came up with $170 million.

While Oksana stepped into the limelight just as figure skating 'exploded' in popularity in the US, I wouldn't 'value' her time as much as other skaters. She pretty much went pro after the Olympics, had performance issues due to her drinking and later body changes/injuries. Overall, she didn't maintain the same level of name recognition or skills as other skaters from her era. So, if she's basing her lawsuit on saying her career was as successful Kristi Yamaguchi's, I'd say she's overvalued her earnings potential.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    and Kerrigan skated in an era (mainly) that allowed for minimum sponsorships... though she made it big right around the time the rules were relaxed.
    Umm, Evy found Nancy a very wealthy patron who paid her entire expenses. Kwan didn't pay anything after 11 years old. Find a sugar daddy/mommy and then deliver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Some even said Oksana shouldn't even have won the bronze, as some ladies did a lot more technically.
    She shouldn't have won the bronze for sure, because she should have been no lower than silver. Bonaly had an under rotated jump, a pop, and a fall to come in 4th, so that for sure should not have bumped Oksana off the podium. Lu Chen did 5 clean triples and a bad hand down on a 3F, but was arguably weaker artistically and unquestionably a weaker spinner. It was also no secret that she had a tendency to be a half turn short on the lutz; I have never seen a slow motion replay in which she has gotten it all the way around. As far Nancy, that decision could have gone either way because she did more technically but her programs just weren't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I'm wondering how they came up with $170 million.

While Oksana stepped into the limelight just as figure skating 'exploded' in popularity in the US, I wouldn't 'value' her time as much as other skaters. She pretty much went pro after the Olympics, had performance issues due to her drinking and later body changes/injuries. Overall, she didn't maintain the same level of name recognition or skills as other skaters from her era. So, if she's basing her lawsuit on saying her career was as successful Kristi Yamaguchi's, I'd say she's overvalued her earnings potential.
    I agree, and I don't think Yama's career was 170+ mill.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It was also no secret that she had a tendency to be a half turn short on the lutz
    ...what? She was definitely never that short.

I think there is certainly an argument for Lu Chen being 2nd or even 1st in the LP at 1994 Olympics. She had the best program, IMO, although Oksana gave an overall better performance.

Kerrigan, Baiul, Lu Chen, and Yuka Sato were all fairly close in the LP. Nobody knocked it out of the park, but it was all beautiful skating.

Custom Title
    (to Tonichelle:) I don't think that any skater's career was in the 170 million dollar range. (Maybe Sonja Henie, in equivalent value for her time!) That's why I can't see any court deciding for such an amount in Oksana's favor.

(to Tonichelle:) I don't think that any skater's career was in the 170 million dollar range. (Maybe Sonja Henie, in equivalent value for her time!) That's why I can't see any court deciding for such an amount in Oksana's favor.
    same here.

maybe the thought is we ask for an outrageous amount and then negotiate down to the number we really wanted to begin with?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    same here.

maybe the thought is we ask for an outrageous amount and then negotiate down to the number we really wanted to begin with?
    I guess that's the mechanism. As I understand it, Baiul has initiated similar lawsuits before this. How successful were they, I wonder?

They were settled I assume, so we wil never know.

I guess that's the mechanism. As I understand it, Baiul has initiated similar lawsuits before this. How successful were they, I wonder?
    the article says that one of them was dropped IIRC... so I'm not sure.

Custom Title
    I've read some of the statements online. Baiul claims that she was persuaded to sign contracts when she was 16 years old (in other words, a minor), at a time when she spoke very little English, and that the agency pulled the wool over her eyes. I think that kind of accusation is often based on something valid. Another example of this: the music business in the early 1960s took advantage of a number of singers and singing groups, so that producers ended up rich from the songs, while the performers lived and often died in poverty. So that aspect of her claim may have merit. But a nine-figure sum is probably a bit extravagant and may be, as Toni points out, meant as a starting point for negotiation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast