Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Oksana Baiul- what is her standing in the sport and how is she today?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I'm not talking about technical. Since people seem obsessed with the fact that they think Baiul was the most artistic lady competing in Lillehammer, I made a case for having Witt, who was the most artistic competing there.
    Nobody is saying a competition should be judged 100% on artistry though. Not even the ones defending Baiul's win. The people defending Baiul's win feel her artistry was superior to Kerrigan by even more than her technical was inferior. It is not like Kerrigan's program was technically stunning when you think about it. Only 5 triples, 2 of them triple toes, no triple flip, and her triple-triple combnation was the easiest one in the book. Obviously you could never say that about Witt who technically was a novice level jumper by then, and only made top 10 due to her artistry, competitiveness, and some generous scores due to her reputation.

Custom Title
    And we have to take into account Baiul's short program, which was very impressive. I prefer it to her long, partly because I found the show tunes overly cutesy and her skating rather fussy. I had no such problems with the short program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And we have to take into account Baiul's short program, which was very impressive. I prefer it to her long, partly because I found the show tunes overly cutesy and her skating rather fussy. I had no such problems with the short program.
    Her SP is one of my all time favorites programs. There is nothing I would change about the choreography or the music. I didn't like her LP either but I think she did capture the different moods of the music selections.

I was floored by the sp because I'd never seen such a balletic skater doing that music. I recall the camera panning to Jayne Torvill and she was watching with a dropped jaw. I recall Hamilton saying "I have never SEEN ANYONE LIKE HER." bUT HER SP WAS FLAWED, Nancy WAS A NICE COMBO OF ATHLETE, PRESENTATION AND NATURAL BEAUTY. I think many people feel she was robbed. Two great programs after being clubbed. Nancy never gets her due. She was not bendy, but she was a lady out there. I preferred her amateur style to both Kristi and Tonya. Baiul has some very nice skates-or parts there of. It is a shame her drinking added pounds to a changing body. It would have been better for her had she won silver. Everyone blew smoke up her....telling her she was so great. Sadly she left her coach and the Petrenkos-who would have protected her.

Her swee orphan story changed fast-her ego being her downfall. Nancy would have done no different-she had solid parents to keep her grounded-she's quite rich, anyway. But no one ever mentions her as a great skater. She has same Oly medals as Kwan, Slutskaya. I think a couple comments were blown out and people realized she was quite human. The whole ice princess thing is ridiculous. Look at the skewering of Gracie Gold over her dumb but innocent comment. The women are held to standards the men are not. Nancy truly deserved Gold, but she's fine. Oksana never skated another Sp like that again. She had a ball spending her money. Now all the lawsuits-who knows the truth? But I will remember some lovely moments, and she was a gift initially. I wish her well.

Custom Title
    Nancy always looked stiff to me, but her carriage and how she moved around the ice reminds me very much of Michelle Kwan. I think she was a little strong than Oksana on technical merit, but only a little because Oksana's spins and footwork were far superior to Nancy's. Oksana to me had better presentation, and the marks reflected that. Given that the American-biased Scott Hamilton was not outraged at all by the result, I think the right skater won gold.

I have never seen Scott outraged on TV by a result. He was very calm, cool, collected in 2002. He and bezic stated their opinions and they had a right to, and even obligation. I am happy how 2002 Pairs gold went. I think both teams were fantastic, and no one skating now is as good as either. S/S and V/T have their pluses, but they are not a for the ages pair team. S/S have big tricks but lack in other ways. Sadly, they are alone at the top, no one else is even close.

I loved both B/S and S/P. B/S was the last really good Russian pair where Anton, the male was a great performer. One did not only look at the girl in that pair. The Canadians get dissed for not being Russian, but they were a great team, sadly no more-wonderful as pros with SOI. Scott and Sandra get reamed for leading an insurrection. It is funny how both do not embrace CoP at all. Sandra won't choreograph and Scott tries to be positive. I think it was time for a huge change in FS. Now CoP needs to be revised, simplified and judges should be known.

I applaud them for finally speaking up. For years I just expected all the Russian ice dancers to win, while great North Americans like Bourne and Kraatz and Punsalen and Swallow just to name two, could forget the podium as people awaited their coronation depending on years put in.

I have always loved Scott's enthusiasm and even gushing. So many commentators come off as blasé and even condescending. He tries to see the positives in everyone and has a real love for skaters and skating. Few people have done more for the sport. A lot of figure skaters owe him their fortunes -tho he got very rich as well.

I wouldn't say that Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezik were calm, cool, and collected as commentators at the 2002 Olympic pairs event. During Sale and Pelletier's performance Scott shouted, "one more jump and they have the gold medal!" When the judges' scores were announced Bezik said that she was "ashamed for our sport."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I have never seen Scott outraged on TV by a result. He was very calm, cool, collected in 2002. He and bezic stated their opinions and they had a right to, and even obligation. I am happy how 2002 Pairs gold went. I think both teams were fantastic, and no one skating now is as good as either. S/S and V/T have their pluses, but they are not a for the ages pair team. S/S have big tricks but lack in other ways. Sadly, they are alone at the top, no one else is even close.

I loved both B/S and S/P. B/S was the last really good Russian pair where Anton, the male was a great performer. One did not only look at the girl in that pair. The Canadians get dissed for not being Russian, but they were a great team, sadly no more-wonderful as pros with SOI. Scott and Sandra get reamed for leading an insurrection. It is funny how both do not embrace CoP at all. Sandra won't choreograph and Scott tries to be positive. I think it was time for a huge change in FS. Now CoP needs to be revised, simplified and judges should be known.

I applaud them for finally speaking up. For years I just expected all the Russian ice dancers to win, while great North Americans like Bourne and Kraatz and Punsalen and Swallow just to name two, could forget the podium as people awaited their coronation depending on years put in.

I have always loved Scott's enthusiasm and even gushing. So many commentators come off as blasé and even condescending. He tries to see the positives in everyone and has a real love for skaters and skating. Few people have done more for the sport. A lot of figure skaters owe him their fortunes -tho he got very rich as well.
    Wow- I didn't know that Sandra was refusing to choreograph under CoP!!!! Where did you hear that? What a loss to the sport!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Nancy always looked stiff to me, but her carriage and how she moved around the ice reminds me very much of Michelle Kwan. I think she was a little strong than Oksana on technical merit, but only a little because Oksana's spins and footwork were far superior to Nancy's. Oksana to me had better presentation, and the marks reflected that. Given that the American-biased Scott Hamilton was not outraged at all by the result, I think the right skater won gold.
    Hmm Oksana barely had any spins or footwork in her program I thought. She mostly just kept doing variations of the donut or camel spin, although all were nice. Nancy had mediocre spins mostly, but atleast displayed a variety and all the basic spins- camel, sit, scratch, layback, upright, which were mostly missing from Baiul's program (she did do a death drop, flying sit, but it was really weak). Baiul had some nice little bits of footwork but no footwork sequence. Nancy had one footwork sequence, although it was ordinary.

I think Nancy was a good artistic skater, but she didn't skate with much passion or soul, and she could be a bit rigid.

Hamilton was heavily biased in favor of Baiul all the time until her drunk driving episode, so in this case he was probably biased in favor of both Baiul and the American Kerrigan.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6