Oksana Baiul- what is her standing in the sport and how is she today? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Oksana Baiul- what is her standing in the sport and how is she today?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have never seen Scott outraged on TV by a result. He was very calm, cool, collected in 2002. He and bezic stated their opinions and they had a right to, and even obligation. I am happy how 2002 Pairs gold went. I think both teams were fantastic, and no one skating now is as good as either. S/S and V/T have their pluses, but they are not a for the ages pair team. S/S have big tricks but lack in other ways. Sadly, they are alone at the top, no one else is even close.

I loved both B/S and S/P. B/S was the last really good Russian pair where Anton, the male was a great performer. One did not only look at the girl in that pair. The Canadians get dissed for not being Russian, but they were a great team, sadly no more-wonderful as pros with SOI. Scott and Sandra get reamed for leading an insurrection. It is funny how both do not embrace CoP at all. Sandra won't choreograph and Scott tries to be positive. I think it was time for a huge change in FS. Now CoP needs to be revised, simplified and judges should be known.

I applaud them for finally speaking up. For years I just expected all the Russian ice dancers to win, while great North Americans like Bourne and Kraatz and Punsalen and Swallow just to name two, could forget the podium as people awaited their coronation depending on years put in.

I have always loved Scott's enthusiasm and even gushing. So many commentators come off as blasé and even condescending. He tries to see the positives in everyone and has a real love for skaters and skating. Few people have done more for the sport. A lot of figure skaters owe him their fortunes -tho he got very rich as well.

I wouldn't say that Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezik were calm, cool, and collected as commentators at the 2002 Olympic pairs event. During Sale and Pelletier's performance Scott shouted, "one more jump and they have the gold medal!" When the judges' scores were announced Bezik said that she was "ashamed for our sport."

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I have never seen Scott outraged on TV by a result. He was very calm, cool, collected in 2002. He and bezic stated their opinions and they had a right to, and even obligation. I am happy how 2002 Pairs gold went. I think both teams were fantastic, and no one skating now is as good as either. S/S and V/T have their pluses, but they are not a for the ages pair team. S/S have big tricks but lack in other ways. Sadly, they are alone at the top, no one else is even close.

I loved both B/S and S/P. B/S was the last really good Russian pair where Anton, the male was a great performer. One did not only look at the girl in that pair. The Canadians get dissed for not being Russian, but they were a great team, sadly no more-wonderful as pros with SOI. Scott and Sandra get reamed for leading an insurrection. It is funny how both do not embrace CoP at all. Sandra won't choreograph and Scott tries to be positive. I think it was time for a huge change in FS. Now CoP needs to be revised, simplified and judges should be known.

I applaud them for finally speaking up. For years I just expected all the Russian ice dancers to win, while great North Americans like Bourne and Kraatz and Punsalen and Swallow just to name two, could forget the podium as people awaited their coronation depending on years put in.

I have always loved Scott's enthusiasm and even gushing. So many commentators come off as blasé and even condescending. He tries to see the positives in everyone and has a real love for skaters and skating. Few people have done more for the sport. A lot of figure skaters owe him their fortunes -tho he got very rich as well.

Wow- I didn't know that Sandra was refusing to choreograph under CoP!!!! Where did you hear that? What a loss to the sport!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Nancy always looked stiff to me, but her carriage and how she moved around the ice reminds me very much of Michelle Kwan. I think she was a little strong than Oksana on technical merit, but only a little because Oksana's spins and footwork were far superior to Nancy's. Oksana to me had better presentation, and the marks reflected that. Given that the American-biased Scott Hamilton was not outraged at all by the result, I think the right skater won gold.

Hmm Oksana barely had any spins or footwork in her program I thought. She mostly just kept doing variations of the donut or camel spin, although all were nice. Nancy had mediocre spins mostly, but atleast displayed a variety and all the basic spins- camel, sit, scratch, layback, upright, which were mostly missing from Baiul's program (she did do a death drop, flying sit, but it was really weak). Baiul had some nice little bits of footwork but no footwork sequence. Nancy had one footwork sequence, although it was ordinary.

I think Nancy was a good artistic skater, but she didn't skate with much passion or soul, and she could be a bit rigid.

Hamilton was heavily biased in favor of Baiul all the time until her drunk driving episode, so in this case he was probably biased in favor of both Baiul and the American Kerrigan.