Oldy but goody. Sasha Cohen 2006 Torino. | Golden Skate

Oldy but goody. Sasha Cohen 2006 Torino.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I was rewatching Torino, and I have to admit I find Cohen's LP a gem. She misses the pick on her two opening jumps, and then, when anyone in their right mind would just phone the rest in and call it a day, SHE DELIVERS. And wins Silver. I have so much respect for her. This is an Olympic performance. You know how hard it had to have been to miss the first two jumps, jumps she had landed consistently for 8 years. An Olympic champion in spirit. Great job, Sasha/Alex.

http://youtu.be/GMJaam4ldxA

cinnamon

On the Ice
No matter from which angle or which moment you look at her, she is so beautiful.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Watch her Romeo and Juliet and Swan Lake. This girl became her music. Sasha fest!!!! Please link your faves-too late tonight.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This is the best female CoP program to date, along with Yu-N'a Lark Ascending at 2007 Worlds. Since then, programs have lost the value of artistic movement. The footwork sequence rules are a big, big problem these days since they require such an unnecessary amount of movement and time to complete. And there's no room for overwhelmingly sweeping spiral sequences like what Sasha did anymore, unless you put it at the end of the program. That's a shame. It's like saying you're only allowed to eat after 5pm. What's the point? Figure skating is starving itself right now.

Plus, in general, people have become obsessed with useless filler movement to show off skating skills and transitions, at the cost of the performance and program as a whole...which is because the judging of the sport is CRAP and the judges don't actually understand choreography and interpretation, nor do they differentiate between the program components enough even if they do recognize it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love your posts as they usually say what I feel, :yes:but with better cop understanding.

amc987

On the Ice
This is the best female CoP program to date, along with Yu-N'a Lark Ascending at 2007 Worlds. Since then, programs have lost the value of artistic movement. The footwork sequence rules are a big, big problem these days since they require such an unnecessary amount of movement and time to complete. And there's no room for overwhelmingly sweeping spiral sequences like what Sasha did anymore, unless you put it at the end of the program. That's a shame. It's like saying you're only allowed to eat after 5pm. What's the point? Figure skating is starving itself right now.

Plus, in general, people have become obsessed with useless filler movement to show off skating skills and transitions, at the cost of the performance and program as a whole...which is because the judging of the sport is CRAP and the judges don't actually understand choreography and interpretation, nor do they differentiate between the program components enough even if they do recognize it.

I don't know. I'm very partial to Yuna's Danse Macabre SP (2009 Worlds) and her Koren Folk Music FS (2011 Worlds). I think the artistry she showed in both of those is at least equal to her presentation in The Lark Ascending. I also think Mao's Liebestraume FS (2010-2011 season) and Chopin FS (2008 Worlds) and Suzuki's Cirque de Soleil FS (2012-2013 season) are masterpieces even considering the cookie-cutter nature of CoP programs.

I love Sasha's Romeo and Juliet, though. It's such a shame she missed those opening jumps. She surely would've been the Olympic champ if she'd skated a clean program. In fact, I'd argue that she was still better than Arakawa even with the mistakes, but I see why Arakawa's 5-triple program won on the day.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yu-Na's Danse Macabre is a vastly overrated program, IMO. She performed it very well, and the packaging made her look drop-dead gorgeous for the first time, but in terms of choreography and interpretation it's really not that special. The spins and spirals are just kind of...there...and the footwork sequence really wavers and loses focus trying to cram all of the steps/turns in. A classic case of how CoP rules hurt choreography is by looking at Yu-Na holding that I-spin position for the 8+ revolutions just to get the level bonus. It's not a very good position for her, so not only does it become tedious to look at, it wastes time giving no interpretation to the music when she should have been doing actual choreography to close out the program.

I much prefer Mao Asada's Claire de Lune that season...

I remember my anguish after Sasha goofed up her second jump. I thought for sure she'd fall apart. When she didn't, and she rescued the program, I was filled with admiration for her. She has flaws as a skater, of course, but there are few who combine her athleticism and grace. She also was a mature artist, with a distinctive style: beautiful extensions and positions. I'm so glad she closed out her competitive career with an Olympic medal, and I often rewatch her programs with enjoyment.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I remember my anguish after Sasha goofed up her second jump. I thought for sure she'd fall apart. When she didn't, and she rescued the program, I was filled with admiration for her. She has flaws as a skater, of course, but there are few who combine her athleticism and grace. She also was a mature artist, with a distinctive style: beautiful extensions and positions. I'm so glad she closed out her competitive career with an Olympic medal, and I often rewatch her programs with enjoyment.

Yep. I think many of us are OCD overachievers, like Sasha Cohen is/was. Imagine you are 0 for 2 on your first jumping passes in the biggest event of your life. I can totally see someone just giving up and maybe calling injury. I'm more the Cohen type, instead of giving it all up, I'd just think "Well land SOMETHING you *******!" I enjoy this program more than the others to this same music, because it showed what Cohen was made of. She fought, didn't give up. Just a wonderful program.

Barb

Record Breaker
I dont see nothing special in that program and performance :scratch:, but I absolutly adore her Rachmaninov LP, romeo and julieta ex and her olympic Carmen :bow:. She has an excellent taste for costumes too.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I can't help but everytime I see her I just think she's the best. Even with mistakes, her perfomances are amazing. She really feels a music, she can interpret many music styles and she looks beatiful always time. If she does an ordinary moves it looks like a something special. This program is terrific, especially during spiral or step sequence she looks like she really loves skating and enjoys her program :love:

miki88

Medalist
I really liked her SP at that Olympics. It was always frustrating to watch her LPs because you always knew she was going to make a mistake somewhere.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wasn't on the Sasha fandom until I saw her skate this program at Nationals (saw it live) it was mesmerizing. I was so sad that she didn't skate it as well at the Olympics, but she fought for herself and that silver medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't understand what's so special about this girl.

I kind of know what you mean. I love a lot of her programs but I think the more I've learned about what good skating is, the more I feel like certain aspects of her skating were overrated, particularly her skating skills. She was frequently on two feet and did not use edges as much as she could have; her spiral sequences were typically in diagonal straight lines. However, from the ankles up she was spectacular and knew how to sell a program better than anyone.

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
I wasn't on the Sasha fandom until I saw her skate this program at Nationals (saw it live) it was mesmerizing. I was so sad that she didn't skate it as well at the Olympics, but she fought for herself and that silver medal.

Her Nationals program would also not have won the Olympics. She stepped out of two jumps. She would have had to go totally clean with all 7 triples to beat Shizuka.

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
I kind of know what you mean. I love a lot of her programs but I think the more I've learned about what good skating is, the more I feel like certain aspects of her skating were overrated, particularly her skating skills. She was frequently on two feet and did not use edges as much as she could have; her spiral sequences were typically in diagonal straight lines. However, from the ankles up she was spectacular and knew how to sell a program better than anyone.

She had her weaknesses but she was still a special skater. Great lines and positions, great spins and spirals, and felt the music beautiful. Her jumps weren't her strength, but they were impressive in a way too. The quick snappy rotational qualities Dick Button spoke about had an explosiveness and impression to them, when she landed them that is. She may not have a gold title but she was still a memorable skater. How much pleasure a skater gives to viewers isn't all about titles. Think of a team like Totmianina & Marinin who won many titles and deserved them but are not memorable. Sadly I fear Voloszhar & Trankov are going along the same path, unless in the years after Sochi and with the relief of the Olympic Gold behind them they branch out more.

karlowens2

On the Ice
I was in the arena the night of her short.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgTEXcTbis
I still consider this one of the greatest shorts of all time. Sasha was doing something no one has tried sence. She was a true ballerina. She could hit every beat with her moves. In a combo spin each change of position popped to the music. It gave her extra electricity. Many skaters try to look balletic but Sasha was balletic. I think this added musicality made it harder for her to skate clean.
I was rewatching Torino, and I have to admit I find Cohen's LP a gem. She misses the pick on her two opening jumps, and then, when anyone in their right mind would just phone the rest in and call it a day, SHE DELIVERS. And wins Silver. I have so much respect for her. This is an Olympic performance. You know how hard it had to have been to miss the first two jumps, jumps she had landed consistently for 8 years. An Olympic champion in spirit. Great job, Sasha/Alex.

http://youtu.be/GMJaam4ldxA