Poor Fumie.... | Golden Skate

Poor Fumie....

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Three years straight and she can not even make it to her Nationals. Who the heck is funding her??????? And she is still in search of that perfect program? I gave it up at 19 and got a doctorate. She's still clawing for it, and it's funny how cordial they are being about it. Fumie is a delusional mess. Poor Fumie...

hurrah

Medalist
I do think there is something very unique (to put it as neutrally as possible) about the way she sees the world and her place in it.

In an interview after Sectionals, she said that the reason she did not skate well was because 'the skin that came out in the rink did not feel good. What I was clad in today was not good.' :confused:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/11/05/kiji/K20131105006950680.html

I personally would label that as an irrational remark, and it leaves me feeling uneasy. The interview remark reads like something that someone who consults tarot cards to decide whether to have coffee or tea for breakfast would say.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Seems like a rational statement if you take it as "I wasn't feeling comfortable in my own skin.", which is what I think she was trying to say.

Sometimes passion outweighs reality. Good for her if it makes her happy.

This.

Liam, who are you to judge her? If she wants to compete, why are you holding it against her? Not every skater wants to cash in after their success. I'm pretty sure she doesn't actually think she has a shot to win, but while she's still capable of competing it's her prerogative.

Also, way to criticize her and then pat yourself on the back for giving up skating and getting a doctorate. Different strokes for different folks... you're in no way superior (to Fumie or anyone else) just because you decided to get a couple letters after your last name. :rolleye:

hurrah

Medalist
Seems like a rational statement if you take it as "I wasn't feeling comfortable in my own skin.", which is what I think she was trying to sa

I accurately translated what she said. She didn't say anything 'normal' like "I wasn't feeling comfortable in my own skin."  She really did say that 'the skin that came out in the rink did not feel good.'

The full sentence in the article is as follows:

「リンクに出てきた皮膚の感じがいい感じではなかった。まとっているものがきょうは良くなかった」と独特の表現で失敗の原因を分析していた。

(Suguri) analyzed the cause of her failure, uniquely expressing it as 'The skin that came out in the rink did not feel good. What I was clad in today was not good.'

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
She is sponsered by a company to skate as part of their corporate sports team. Sounds to me like the best job in the world, I'd take that over a doctorate in a heartbeat. Go Fumie for 2015 :agree:

Barb

Record Breaker
I think that our aim in life is to be happy, if you are happy getting a doctorate, good for you, if to continue skating make her happy good for her too. Too bad people that to do things only for please to society.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
There are adult competitions. Fumie does not have to continue competing elite against 15 year olds just because she still loves to skate. Look at Midori Ito who is excelling in adult competitions. That is where Fumie belongs if she wants to compete. Even 95% of her most ardent fans who I have spoken to are feeling incredibly sorry for her at this point, and pray she saves herself of being the biggest comedic reference in skating history even 1000 years from now. She even mentions things like hoping to make it back to the Olympics in some interviews. This is beyond normalcy or even sanity. It is a disease at this point.

hurrah

Medalist
In some respects, it's far easier to just say 'let her skate if she wants', and it seems to me that it's likely that everyone around her has given up on trying to change her mind, and has taken the decision to leave her to her own vices, if she can find a way to satisfy them. Probably, Fumie is very stubborn and/or deluded, and there was no other choice but to do so.

If someone is a functioning alcoholic, some people may say, 'Well, s/he's functioning, and it's his/her liver. Let him/her drink if s/he wants.' Or, one could say 'Sure drinking keeps you happy, but you shouldn't drink like a fish.'

If there is an adult trying to recklessly cross a highway full of traffic, some may say, 'Well, he's a responsible adult, let him/her risk his/her life, if s/he wants. The person probably had good reason to try and cross.' Or one could say, 'Look, man. Can't you see you're risking your life? What's the matter with you?'

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
If someone is a functioning alcoholic, some people may say, 'Well, s/he's functioning, and it's his/her liver. Let him/her drink if s/he wants.' Or, one could say 'Sure drinking keeps you happy, but you shouldn't drink like a fish.'

A big shoutout to all the functioning skataholics out there!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Fumie competed in adult competitions she can win with just a 2A and decent spins. The discrepancy between elite and adult competitions is so huge that it would not be a challenge for her at all. (The pro skating circuit was more of an intermediary for skaters who still wanted a decent level of competition but didn't have to do elite content, but clearly that's not an option anymore.)

Also, shame on those of you who pretend to have bleeding hearts and in the next sentence call her delusional or a joke. Stop pretending that you actually care about her saving face, when really you'd love nothing more than to see her fall on her face and be all, "Told you so./She's done./etc." Her competing is none of your business and she's certainly not skating for you, so lay off her. Call it delusional or inane, but I think any real athlete or sports fan would actually admire her wanting to still compete at a high level instead of going the easy route and winning all the adult competitions. Even if Fumie won the next Olympic gold medal, I feel she would still continue competing afterwards if she were able. That's just the kind of athlete she is.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If Fumie competed in adult competitions she can win with just a 2A and decent spins. The discrepancy between elite and adult competitions is so huge that it would not be a challenge for her at all. (The pro skating circuit was more of an intermediary for skaters who still wanted a decent level of competition but didn't have to do elite content, but clearly that's not an option anymore.)

That's a great point - she may not still be going for the olympics if the pro circuit was still strong. Thanks, again, ISU! :no:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Fumie competed in adult competitions she can win with just a 2A and decent spins.

Which is all Fumie can produce now so she would be skating against people about her skill level. Anyone who has seen tapes of Midori Ito in some of the recent adult skating competitions knows that Fumie wouldnt even have an easy time beating her. Yet Midori has even lost a couple of her adult competitions. Stop cut the BS adult competitions wouldnt be enough of a challenge for Fumie. The fact is her current level of skating is completely appropriate for an adult competition, and she is much more an adult competition level skater than an elite skater. If someone saw her skate today and were to guess if she were an adult competitor or elite, they would guess adult without a moment hesitation.

Bartek

On the Ice
Which is all Fumie can produce now so she would be skating against people about her skill level. Anyone who has seen tapes of Midori Ito in some of the recent adult skating competitions knows that Fumie wouldnt even have an easy time beating her. Yet Midori has even lost a couple of her adult competitions. Stop cut the BS adult competitions wouldnt be enough of a challenge for Fumie. The fact is her current level of skating is completely appropriate for an adult competition, and she is much more an adult competition level skater than an elite skater. If someone saw her skate today and were to guess if she were an adult competitor or elite, they would guess adult without a moment hesitation.

Have you seen her skating recently to claim so? What is the last competition she participated in with a video available?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

FYI, Fumie is still capable of doing triples (here's her landing a 3T and 2A within the past year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEzCDwIWIo), and her spinning capability and transitions would easily beat out Midori. And I would bet that you haven't even seen video of Fumie's current level of skating this year and are simply making brash criticisms with no basis (wouldn't be the first time). [Oh, I just saw that Bartek mentioned the same thing.... so yeah, what video have you seen of her recently to make such comments?]

Check out this vid from 2010, at the age of 30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZbzI_xw28 Not many 30 year olds can still nail a 3Z and 3F in their programs. And look at how much joy she's getting out of competing. Obviously she wasn't going to win but for her it's about putting in the effort and striving for a good performance.

It's frankly insulting to say that she's at the level of an adult skater (although knowing you, obviously that was the intent)... so should we say the same about Caroline Zhang and Alissa Czisny given their recent performances?

cinnamon

On the Ice
Fumie herself is expressing her feeling after the competition on her twitter. She posted the second tweet saying it's going to take time to settle her emotion down.
She is a quite normal person. Stubborn - yes, very much. The coach Nobuo Sato revealed once that all those top girls were truly stubborn and each one was very unique, otherwise they couldn't get to where they were in this sport. The famous story was Fumie and Shizuka didn't speak each other for years prior to Torino, till when Fumie asked Shizuka an advice on her spin - that was a surprise to everyone.