Poor Fumie.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Poor Fumie....

thinspread

On the Ice
I think Arakawa's OGM had some influence on all this, in Suguri's decisions to keep skating. In 2006-7 she had a successful season, made GPF, and looked happy. 2008-9 was also a decent season for her. I wish she had stopped then, or at least after the following season. It's her life, but it's sad to see her being reduced to the subject of all these comments, which are not much on her programs or skating anymore. Maybe she's still seeking some personal redemption, but frankly I don't see her getting it from competitive skating at this point.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Tand pray she saves herself of being the biggest comedic reference in skating history even 1000 years from now. She even mentions things like hoping to make it back to the Olympics in some interviews. This is beyond normalcy or even sanity. It is a disease at this point.

Your abusive behaviour towards skaters should not be allowed on this board.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Go Fumie! I hope you skate for as long as and at whatever level you want!

Go go go go go Fumie!

anthologyz

Rinkside
i've always rooted for fumie. she's a 6.0 skater who made the best of what she had. CoP never did her any favors though. i'm happy she skates competitively if that's what she wants. too bad the pro circuit's dead because given her current jump arsenal (at age 33!), she and denise biellmann could give the young ones a run for their money.

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe the Olympics will start having a Senior senior competition, and Fumie will be ready to go and the others who have stopped training will be behind her. lol

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
FYI, Fumie is still capable of doing triples (here's her landing a 3T and 2A within the past year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEzCDwIWIo), and her spinning capability and transitions would easily beat out Midori. And I would bet that you haven't even seen video of Fumie's current level of skating this year and are simply making brash criticisms with no basis (wouldn't be the first time). [Oh, I just saw that Bartek mentioned the same thing.... so yeah, what video have you seen of her recently to make such comments?]

Check out this vid from 2010, at the age of 30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZbzI_xw28 Not many 30 year olds can still nail a 3Z and 3F in their programs. And look at how much joy she's getting out of competing. Obviously she wasn't going to win but for her it's about putting in the effort and striving for a good performance.

It's frankly insulting to say that she's at the level of an adult skater (although knowing you, obviously that was the intent)... so should we say the same about Caroline Zhang and Alissa Czisny given their recent performances?

I was thinking the same thing Zhang and Czisny should join Fumie to skate against Midori lol. Again, it seems some skaters get loved a lot more Czisny and some get dumped on Zhang and Suguri.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
To me it just looks like she forgot to come up with a backup plan for when she's done competing. I don't get her, doesn't she have anything else in her life she would like to strive for? Other interests, other passions, other goals? I have at least four strong passions in my life and while one of them had to stay within the dreamworld forever due to the lack of possibility to fulfill (skating) and I gave the other one up at 19 to attend university (competitive dancing), I still have the other two to hold on to. And now I simply skate and dance for fun. And believe me, quitting dance was not easy for me, but some stages in our lives simply need a closure, so that we can grow up, move on and welcome other possibilities. I get it, she doesn't and she's still several years older than me.

I get that she loves skating and that she's still relatively good at it. But she could have just as much joy from it (if not more, given all the nerves) just doing shows or working with kids. You might say she should do it, if it makes her happy, but does competiting really make her happy? I think skating makes her happy, competing makes her nervous, frustrated and emotional to the exent of irrational.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
MAYBE many are jealous that Fumie is doing what she wants against all odds. I think so many people are unhappy with their jobs because they do it for money, to make ends meet and or for self esteem ie. prestige but it does not bring real happiness. And maybe people don't want to really grow up. Look at all the jocks from school if they go to university they "try to hold on to the past" and hence we have huge competitions to get into sports medicine, therapy, kinesiology and more gym teacher wannabes that Johnny Weir has fur or feathers. Many of us are taught it is nice to dream as a kid now grow up and support yourself and family - you can't dream to be the superstar actor, singer or sports star - Get Real. Fumie isn't getting real - she is doing what she wants andher dream. Great job if you can get it. As long as she is happy and can support herself and not hurt herself or others more power to her. Yes, she will have to take the consequences about her reputation but again it is her life. I do hate to see her a shadow of herself - though people she isn't that old - V and T and Kavaguti are close in age and still competing (well Kavaguti may be finished due to unfortunate circumstances).

thinspread

On the Ice
^^ What's the point in her staying with competitive skating, for the fans or for herself? She just has to move on. She's 33. Good number to be retired from skating. Her peak was well in the past. If she do not accept this, it would invite more of these mocking.

ETA: And please, stop this "whatever that makes her happy" nonsense. I can't picture her making herself happy by continuing with her stint at qualifying for the national team.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^^ What's the point in her staying with competitive skating, for the fans or for herself? She just has to move on. She's 33. Good number to be retired from skating. Her peak was well in the past. If she do not accept this, it would invite more of these mocking.

ETA: And please, stop this "whatever that makes her happy" nonsense. I can't picture her making herself happy by continuing with her stint at qualifying for the national team.

No, she doesn't *have* to do anything because you say so. And if you don't think she's doing it because she's happy to challenge herself and still compete against elite level skaters, then why do you think she still does it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would venture that the majority of haters here have never even competed themselves at elite levels of competition, and have no idea what it's like to be an athlete that still wants to try and maintain a certain level of skating. Once an athlete shifts to an adult level of competition or retires altogether, they lose their will and ability to train triples, and no longer have to execute challenging spins or footwork. As I said, with no pro-competition as an intermediary, Fumie's options are to either be a big fish in a small adult competition pond, or actually challenge herself to skate in elite competitions even if her chances are slim. And she chooses to do the latter.

There are plenty of athletes who choose to comeback even when there's no shot at winning (see Sandhu last year, or Stojko in his later amateur years), but it's still admirable to see them continue to be an athlete when retiring "past their peak" or cashing in on current success seems the more obvious/"sensible" thing to do.

Also ask yourself, why do the bottom 1/3rd of skaters at Worlds (often from unpopular skating countries) still choose to compete at Worlds and elite level competitions where there's very little chance of them actually winning or getting a decent placement?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To me it just looks like she forgot to come up with a backup plan for when she's done competing. I don't get her, doesn't she have anything else in her life she would like to strive for? Other interests, other passions, other goals? I have at least four strong passions in my life and while one of them had to stay within the dreamworld forever due to the lack of possibility to fulfill (skating) and I gave the other one up at 19 to attend university (competitive dancing), I still have the other two to hold on to. And now I simply skate and dance for fun. And believe me, quitting dance was not easy for me, but some stages in our lives simply need a closure, so that we can grow up, move on and welcome other possibilities. I get it, she doesn't and she's still several years older than me.

I get that she loves skating and that she's still relatively good at it. But she could have just as much joy from it (if not more, given all the nerves) just doing shows or working with kids. You might say she should do it, if it makes her happy, but does competiting really make her happy? I think skating makes her happy, competing makes her nervous, frustrated and emotional to the exent of irrational.

I don't think being a competitive skater procludes her from having other interests/passions/goals. Fumie still coaches younger skaters and does ice shows and the like. Having a life and being competitive don't have to be mutually exclusive ... and I don't think you actually know enough about Fumie's life outside of skating to automatically say that because she still strives to skate at an elite level, she's holding up the rest of her life.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Once an athlete shifts to an adult level of competition or retires altogether, they lose their will and ability to train triples, and no longer have to execute challenging spins or footwork. As I said, with no pro-competition as an intermediary, Fumie's options are to either be a big fish in a small adult competition pond, or actually challenge herself to skate in elite competitions even if her chances are slim. And she chooses to do the latter.

Also ask yourself, why do the bottom 1/3rd of skaters at Worlds (often from unpopular skating countries) still choose to compete at Worlds and elite level competitions where there's very little chance of them actually winning or getting a decent placement?

Pretty much this. You really do lose skills at a rapid rate if not able to practice them regularly, but in Fumie's case, some of the skills she wouldn't be able to get back. Once she stops seriously training, she will never do or (likely) be able to do a triple again. Maybe she just wants to keep herself in shape. I can think of two examples from my own life, one physical and one not- I am no longer fluent in French after moving back to the USA because I don't have enough opportunity to practice it, and I can't do ALL KINDS of cool Argentine tango moves that used to be second nature to me when I was dancing competitively. I don't think it's crazy not to want to lose skills.

Now, I do think she is an odd duck, but if she loves this and wants to continue and is financially able to, it's none of our business. No one here has identified themselves as a licensed Psychiatrist or MD to be talking about how she's crazy. even if someone is, it's not like they have met with her in person to diagnose her. Are h er comments weird? Yeah, big time. But to say she has a mental disorder without knowing her is extreme.

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside

Sadly I think you are right. She did not think out what she wanted to do when skating was over. She is skating since she has no idea what else she is supposed to be doing. I cant imagine she is happy. A 3 time World medalist who is a regional level skater with no hope to make her own Nationals again cant be really happy. There is a point athletes accept they are past their primes and can be satisfied with poorer results, but this is a whole other level.

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
This is a ridiculous assertion. Of course she might be happy.

I guess only she knows for sure, but I doubt that. A World medalist being happy not even making it past territory events? That would be a first.

People in this thread are saying things well she knows she is a long shot to win Worlds or Olympics. That is from 8 years ago, not today. Even in her prime she was a long shot, or really a no hoper to ever win a Worlds or Olympics. Despite making medals a few times she was never a contender for the first place, and could win a medal (not gold) if many others fell. That is fine, but people saying that is what she is now is deceiving to reality. What she is now is a long shot to ever make it out of Regionals again.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I guess only she knows for sure, but I doubt that. A World medalist being happy not even making it past territory events? That would be a first.

People in this thread are saying things well she knows she is a long shot to win Worlds or Olympics. That is from 8 years ago, not today. Even in her prime she was a long shot, or really a no hoper to ever win a Worlds or Olympics. Despite making medals a few times she was never a contender for the first place, and could win a medal (not gold) if many others fell. That is fine, but people saying that is what she is now is deceiving to reality. What she is now is a long shot to ever make it out of Regionals again.

Perspective. You think any past skater is still happy then, seeing as how they're no longer the calibre they once were?

It's not just about winning or getting results. As I said, there are plenty of skaters who have no shot at winning but they still compete because it makes them happy. The level at which you want to compete is up to you. Making the national team doesn't equate to happiness especially when it's not like making the Olympics or winning a World medal or making the Olympic team are goals that Fumie hasn't already achieved.

She has nothing left to prove, so why make it seem like she is trying to prove something by competing, instead of just skating for herself? I'm sure the last thing Fumie wants is pity, and the ridicule/criticism from haters who will be haters is water off a duck's back for her.