Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Poor Fumie....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    If Fumie competed in adult competitions she can win with just a 2A and decent spins.
    Which is all Fumie can produce now so she would be skating against people about her skill level. Anyone who has seen tapes of Midori Ito in some of the recent adult skating competitions knows that Fumie wouldnt even have an easy time beating her. Yet Midori has even lost a couple of her adult competitions. Stop cut the BS adult competitions wouldnt be enough of a challenge for Fumie. The fact is her current level of skating is completely appropriate for an adult competition, and she is much more an adult competition level skater than an elite skater. If someone saw her skate today and were to guess if she were an adult competitor or elite, they would guess adult without a moment hesitation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Which is all Fumie can produce now so she would be skating against people about her skill level. Anyone who has seen tapes of Midori Ito in some of the recent adult skating competitions knows that Fumie wouldnt even have an easy time beating her. Yet Midori has even lost a couple of her adult competitions. Stop cut the BS adult competitions wouldnt be enough of a challenge for Fumie. The fact is her current level of skating is completely appropriate for an adult competition, and she is much more an adult competition level skater than an elite skater. If someone saw her skate today and were to guess if she were an adult competitor or elite, they would guess adult without a moment hesitation.
    Have you seen her skating recently to claim so? What is the last competition she participated in with a video available?

Custom Title

FYI, Fumie is still capable of doing triples (here's her landing a 3T and 2A within the past year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEzCDwIWIo), and her spinning capability and transitions would easily beat out Midori. And I would bet that you haven't even seen video of Fumie's current level of skating this year and are simply making brash criticisms with no basis (wouldn't be the first time). [Oh, I just saw that Bartek mentioned the same thing.... so yeah, what video have you seen of her recently to make such comments?]

Check out this vid from 2010, at the age of 30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZbzI_xw28 Not many 30 year olds can still nail a 3Z and 3F in their programs. And look at how much joy she's getting out of competing. Obviously she wasn't going to win but for her it's about putting in the effort and striving for a good performance.

It's frankly insulting to say that she's at the level of an adult skater (although knowing you, obviously that was the intent)... so should we say the same about Caroline Zhang and Alissa Czisny given their recent performances?

It seems like only yesterday…2006 Olympics SP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8RNoX5Catw

Fumie herself is expressing her feeling after the competition on her twitter. She posted the second tweet saying it's going to take time to settle her emotion down.
    She is a quite normal person. Stubborn - yes, very much. The coach Nobuo Sato revealed once that all those top girls were truly stubborn and each one was very unique, otherwise they couldn't get to where they were in this sport. The famous story was Fumie and Shizuka didn't speak each other for years prior to Torino, till when Fumie asked Shizuka an advice on her spin - that was a surprise to everyone.

Custom Title
    I think Arakawa's OGM had some influence on all this, in Suguri's decisions to keep skating. In 2006-7 she had a successful season, made GPF, and looked happy. 2008-9 was also a decent season for her. I wish she had stopped then, or at least after the following season. It's her life, but it's sad to see her being reduced to the subject of all these comments, which are not much on her programs or skating anymore. Maybe she's still seeking some personal redemption, but frankly I don't see her getting it from competitive skating at this point.

Banned
    Tand pray she saves herself of being the biggest comedic reference in skating history even 1000 years from now. She even mentions things like hoping to make it back to the Olympics in some interviews. This is beyond normalcy or even sanity. It is a disease at this point.
    Your abusive behaviour towards skaters should not be allowed on this board.

Custom Title
    Go Fumie! I hope you skate for as long as and at whatever level you want!

Go go go go go Fumie!

Tripping on the Podium
    i've always rooted for fumie. she's a 6.0 skater who made the best of what she had. CoP never did her any favors though. i'm happy she skates competitively if that's what she wants. too bad the pro circuit's dead because given her current jump arsenal (at age 33!), she and denise biellmann could give the young ones a run for their money.

Custom Title
    Maybe the Olympics will start having a Senior senior competition, and Fumie will be ready to go and the others who have stopped training will be behind her. lol

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    maybe they will restart a series of Pro Competitions???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    FYI, Fumie is still capable of doing triples (here's her landing a 3T and 2A within the past year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiEzCDwIWIo), and her spinning capability and transitions would easily beat out Midori. And I would bet that you haven't even seen video of Fumie's current level of skating this year and are simply making brash criticisms with no basis (wouldn't be the first time). [Oh, I just saw that Bartek mentioned the same thing.... so yeah, what video have you seen of her recently to make such comments?]

Check out this vid from 2010, at the age of 30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZbzI_xw28 Not many 30 year olds can still nail a 3Z and 3F in their programs. And look at how much joy she's getting out of competing. Obviously she wasn't going to win but for her it's about putting in the effort and striving for a good performance.

It's frankly insulting to say that she's at the level of an adult skater (although knowing you, obviously that was the intent)... so should we say the same about Caroline Zhang and Alissa Czisny given their recent performances?
    I was thinking the same thing Zhang and Czisny should join Fumie to skate against Midori lol. Again, it seems some skaters get loved a lot more Czisny and some get dumped on Zhang and Suguri.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    maybe they will restart a series of Pro Competitions???
    who is going to put the money into it? Scott Hamilton? Dorothy Hamill? Did they close some of their pro events already? Maybe Brian boitano through his cooking show?

Custom Title
    To me it just looks like she forgot to come up with a backup plan for when she's done competing. I don't get her, doesn't she have anything else in her life she would like to strive for? Other interests, other passions, other goals? I have at least four strong passions in my life and while one of them had to stay within the dreamworld forever due to the lack of possibility to fulfill (skating) and I gave the other one up at 19 to attend university (competitive dancing), I still have the other two to hold on to. And now I simply skate and dance for fun. And believe me, quitting dance was not easy for me, but some stages in our lives simply need a closure, so that we can grow up, move on and welcome other possibilities. I get it, she doesn't and she's still several years older than me.

I get that she loves skating and that she's still relatively good at it. But she could have just as much joy from it (if not more, given all the nerves) just doing shows or working with kids. You might say she should do it, if it makes her happy, but does competiting really make her happy? I think skating makes her happy, competing makes her nervous, frustrated and emotional to the exent of irrational.

Custom Title
    MAYBE many are jealous that Fumie is doing what she wants against all odds. I think so many people are unhappy with their jobs because they do it for money, to make ends meet and or for self esteem ie. prestige but it does not bring real happiness. And maybe people don't want to really grow up. Look at all the jocks from school if they go to university they "try to hold on to the past" and hence we have huge competitions to get into sports medicine, therapy, kinesiology and more gym teacher wannabes that Johnny Weir has fur or feathers. Many of us are taught it is nice to dream as a kid now grow up and support yourself and family - you can't dream to be the superstar actor, singer or sports star - Get Real. Fumie isn't getting real - she is doing what she wants andher dream. Great job if you can get it. As long as she is happy and can support herself and not hurt herself or others more power to her. Yes, she will have to take the consequences about her reputation but again it is her life. I do hate to see her a shadow of herself - though people she isn't that old - V and T and Kavaguti are close in age and still competing (well Kavaguti may be finished due to unfortunate circumstances).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast