Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61

Thread: Poor Fumie....

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    237
    ^^ What's the point in her staying with competitive skating, for the fans or for herself? She just has to move on. She's 33. Good number to be retired from skating. Her peak was well in the past. If she do not accept this, it would invite more of these mocking.

    ETA: And please, stop this "whatever that makes her happy" nonsense. I can't picture her making herself happy by continuing with her stint at qualifying for the national team.

  2. #32
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    maybe they will restart a series of Pro Competitions???
    wasn't Scott supposed to be working on that last year? looks like he couldn't get it off the ground?

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    ^^ What's the point in her staying with competitive skating, for the fans or for herself? She just has to move on. She's 33. Good number to be retired from skating. Her peak was well in the past. If she do not accept this, it would invite more of these mocking.

    ETA: And please, stop this "whatever that makes her happy" nonsense. I can't picture her making herself happy by continuing with her stint at qualifying for the national team.
    No, she doesn't *have* to do anything because you say so. And if you don't think she's doing it because she's happy to challenge herself and still compete against elite level skaters, then why do you think she still does it?

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would venture that the majority of haters here have never even competed themselves at elite levels of competition, and have no idea what it's like to be an athlete that still wants to try and maintain a certain level of skating. Once an athlete shifts to an adult level of competition or retires altogether, they lose their will and ability to train triples, and no longer have to execute challenging spins or footwork. As I said, with no pro-competition as an intermediary, Fumie's options are to either be a big fish in a small adult competition pond, or actually challenge herself to skate in elite competitions even if her chances are slim. And she chooses to do the latter.

    There are plenty of athletes who choose to comeback even when there's no shot at winning (see Sandhu last year, or Stojko in his later amateur years), but it's still admirable to see them continue to be an athlete when retiring "past their peak" or cashing in on current success seems the more obvious/"sensible" thing to do.

    Also ask yourself, why do the bottom 1/3rd of skaters at Worlds (often from unpopular skating countries) still choose to compete at Worlds and elite level competitions where there's very little chance of them actually winning or getting a decent placement?

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    To me it just looks like she forgot to come up with a backup plan for when she's done competing. I don't get her, doesn't she have anything else in her life she would like to strive for? Other interests, other passions, other goals? I have at least four strong passions in my life and while one of them had to stay within the dreamworld forever due to the lack of possibility to fulfill (skating) and I gave the other one up at 19 to attend university (competitive dancing), I still have the other two to hold on to. And now I simply skate and dance for fun. And believe me, quitting dance was not easy for me, but some stages in our lives simply need a closure, so that we can grow up, move on and welcome other possibilities. I get it, she doesn't and she's still several years older than me.

    I get that she loves skating and that she's still relatively good at it. But she could have just as much joy from it (if not more, given all the nerves) just doing shows or working with kids. You might say she should do it, if it makes her happy, but does competiting really make her happy? I think skating makes her happy, competing makes her nervous, frustrated and emotional to the exent of irrational.
    I don't think being a competitive skater procludes her from having other interests/passions/goals. Fumie still coaches younger skaters and does ice shows and the like. Having a life and being competitive don't have to be mutually exclusive ... and I don't think you actually know enough about Fumie's life outside of skating to automatically say that because she still strives to skate at an elite level, she's holding up the rest of her life.

  5. #35
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Once an athlete shifts to an adult level of competition or retires altogether, they lose their will and ability to train triples, and no longer have to execute challenging spins or footwork. As I said, with no pro-competition as an intermediary, Fumie's options are to either be a big fish in a small adult competition pond, or actually challenge herself to skate in elite competitions even if her chances are slim. And she chooses to do the latter.

    ...

    Also ask yourself, why do the bottom 1/3rd of skaters at Worlds (often from unpopular skating countries) still choose to compete at Worlds and elite level competitions where there's very little chance of them actually winning or getting a decent placement?
    Pretty much this. You really do lose skills at a rapid rate if not able to practice them regularly, but in Fumie's case, some of the skills she wouldn't be able to get back. Once she stops seriously training, she will never do or (likely) be able to do a triple again. Maybe she just wants to keep herself in shape. I can think of two examples from my own life, one physical and one not- I am no longer fluent in French after moving back to the USA because I don't have enough opportunity to practice it, and I can't do ALL KINDS of cool Argentine tango moves that used to be second nature to me when I was dancing competitively. I don't think it's crazy not to want to lose skills.

    Now, I do think she is an odd duck, but if she loves this and wants to continue and is financially able to, it's none of our business. No one here has identified themselves as a licensed Psychiatrist or MD to be talking about how she's crazy. even if someone is, it's not like they have met with her in person to diagnose her. Are h er comments weird? Yeah, big time. But to say she has a mental disorder without knowing her is extreme.

  6. #36
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    To me it just looks like she forgot to come up with a backup plan for when she's done competing. I don't get her, doesn't she have anything else in her life she would like to strive for? Other interests, other passions, other goals? I have at least four strong passions in my life and while one of them had to stay within the dreamworld forever due to the lack of possibility to fulfill (skating) and I gave the other one up at 19 to attend university (competitive dancing), I still have the other two to hold on to. And now I simply skate and dance for fun. And believe me, quitting dance was not easy for me, but some stages in our lives simply need a closure, so that we can grow up, move on and welcome other possibilities. I get it, she doesn't and she's still several years older than me.

    I get that she loves skating and that she's still relatively good at it. But she could have just as much joy from it (if not more, given all the nerves) just doing shows or working with kids. You might say she should do it, if it makes her happy, but does competiting really make her happy? I think skating makes her happy, competing makes her nervous, frustrated and emotional to the exent of irrational.
    Sadly I think you are right. She did not think out what she wanted to do when skating was over. She is skating since she has no idea what else she is supposed to be doing. I cant imagine she is happy. A 3 time World medalist who is a regional level skater with no hope to make her own Nationals again cant be really happy. There is a point athletes accept they are past their primes and can be satisfied with poorer results, but this is a whole other level.

  7. #37
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by kovarkovaelegant View Post
    S I cant imagine she is happy. A 3 time World medalist who is a regional level skater with no hope to make her own Nationals again cant be really happy.
    This is a ridiculous assertion. Of course she might be happy.

  8. #38
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This is a ridiculous assertion. Of course she might be happy.
    I guess only she knows for sure, but I doubt that. A World medalist being happy not even making it past territory events? That would be a first.

    People in this thread are saying things well she knows she is a long shot to win Worlds or Olympics. That is from 8 years ago, not today. Even in her prime she was a long shot, or really a no hoper to ever win a Worlds or Olympics. Despite making medals a few times she was never a contender for the first place, and could win a medal (not gold) if many others fell. That is fine, but people saying that is what she is now is deceiving to reality. What she is now is a long shot to ever make it out of Regionals again.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    856
    I'm pretty sure Fumie works an office job. I recall seeing on FSU or something a commercial with her working in it?

    EDIT:

    Here it is (music video):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3eeR...tailpage#t=133

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by kovarkovaelegant View Post
    I guess only she knows for sure, but I doubt that. A World medalist being happy not even making it past territory events? That would be a first.

    People in this thread are saying things well she knows she is a long shot to win Worlds or Olympics. That is from 8 years ago, not today. Even in her prime she was a long shot, or really a no hoper to ever win a Worlds or Olympics. Despite making medals a few times she was never a contender for the first place, and could win a medal (not gold) if many others fell. That is fine, but people saying that is what she is now is deceiving to reality. What she is now is a long shot to ever make it out of Regionals again.
    Perspective. You think any past skater is still happy then, seeing as how they're no longer the calibre they once were?

    It's not just about winning or getting results. As I said, there are plenty of skaters who have no shot at winning but they still compete because it makes them happy. The level at which you want to compete is up to you. Making the national team doesn't equate to happiness especially when it's not like making the Olympics or winning a World medal or making the Olympic team are goals that Fumie hasn't already achieved.

    She has nothing left to prove, so why make it seem like she is trying to prove something by competing, instead of just skating for herself? I'm sure the last thing Fumie wants is pity, and the ridicule/criticism from haters who will be haters is water off a duck's back for her.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Perspective. You think any past skater is still happy then, seeing as how they're no longer the calibre they once were?

    It's not just about winning or getting results. As I said, there are plenty of skaters who have no shot at winning but they still compete because it makes them happy. The level at which you want to compete is up to you. Making the national team doesn't equate to happiness especially when it's not like making the Olympics or winning a World medal or making the Olympic team are goals that Fumie hasn't already achieved.

    She has nothing left to prove, so why make it seem like she is trying to prove something by competing, instead of just skating for herself? I'm sure the last thing Fumie wants is pity, and the ridicule/criticism from haters who will be haters is water off a duck's back for her.
    Yes. This is right. There is more to this sport than just winning.

    I never really followed Fumie too closely, but in Canada we have Emmanuel Sandhu who is now 32. He is a total longshot for making our team (mind you, with our depth, he might . . . we have two skaters for a lock, but the third position is really up for grabs by anyone), but all he had to do was step on the ice last year at Nationals and it was a celebration. People (me included) were glad to see him skate for himself last year. Why does Fumie deserve any less respect? Harder home audience? Any skater who steps onto the ice to compete deserves everyone's respect for competing.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Yes. This is right. There is more to this sport than just winning.

    I never really followed Fumie too closely, but in Canada we have Emmanuel Sandhu who is now 32. He is a total longshot for making our team (mind you, with our depth, he might . . . we have two skaters for a lock, but the third position is really up for grabs by anyone), but all he had to do was step on the ice last year at Nationals and it was a celebration. People (me included) were glad to see him skate for himself last year. Why does Fumie deserve any less respect? Harder home audience? Any skater who steps onto the ice to compete deserves everyone's respect for competing.
    Agreed. Of course, mind you, similar/same posters about Fumie had the same vitriol to spew about Sandhu wanting to skate, and crowing about his 11th place finish. It takes a great deal of fortitude physically and mentally to compete at an elite level, particularly when you were once at the top. Many people were thrilled at seeing Sandhu and it wasn't about his placement, it was about watching him do what he loves. But haters expect comeback people to fall flat on their face and then make rude and snide comments rubbing it in, as if the skater owes them anything. Not everyone competes to win... some compete to compete, and if it's good enough for them, then who are we to judge them for that.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,313
    The problem is Fumie isn't even good enough to make it to Nationals now but she thinks it's still possible. That's being in denial that she will never be a elite skater ever again.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The problem is Fumie isn't even good enough to make it to Nationals now but she thinks it's still possible. That's being in denial that that she will never be a elite skater ever again.
    There are plenty of skaters who are supposedly in denial about their goals. But that shouldn't exclude them from competing if they earn the right to do so. You don't see threads pitying Czisny for thinking she's good enough to make the National team.

  15. #45
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    There are plenty of skaters who are supposedly in denial about their goals. But that shouldn't exclude them from competing if they earn the right to do so. You don't see threads pitying Czisny for thinking she's good enough to make the National team.
    Alissa's situation is different in my mind. I would more compare Fumie from 4-5 years ago with Alissa now. If Alissa announced after this season her intention to try to carry on with competitive skating, aiming to make Pyongyang, and started blaming her outfit for her poor performance, there would be talk. And actually, she also got alot of harsh criticism for her poor performance before it came out that she was injured.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •