Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Poor Fumie....

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I'm pretty sure Fumie works an office job. I recall seeing on FSU or something a commercial with her working in it?

EDIT:

Here it is (music video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3eeR...tailpage#t=133
    Thanks for the video. Very nice.

Custom Title
    congrats on your PHD brah!!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    wasn't Scott supposed to be working on that last year? looks like he couldn't get it off the ground?
    This year, immediately post Olympics, would be the time to try to resuscitate any ice shows or pro competitions, provided any skaters at the Olympics catch the imagination of the audience. Scott may have been laying the ground work, but may not have completed the project yet.

And yes, we do know about how returning skaters feel, because we have seen several of them in the past.

When I see a thread like this, I always think of Elaine Zayak's return to skating in 1994, when she was 29 or so. It had been 10 years since she skated competitively, and years since she had even competed professionally, and made her decision to keep going, month by month. She was competing for herself, not to make the Olympic team. She was thrilled to finish fourth, after Tonya Harding, Michelle Kwan & Nicole Bobek. Her goal was to get back in physical shape, to see whether she could manage triples again (and indeed, she got back her 3T, 3S, and 3Lp, which were the 3 triples she had in 1984. For all I know, Fumie skates to stay in shape, because it is the form of exercise she enjoys, and enters competitions to set a structure to her training year, which is pretty much what Elain was doing. The result was that she got some pro gigs in the year following Olympics, which is always when there are more pro gigs than other years.

It was a nice story. Here's her SP. Since it is 1994, the solo jump was a required double flip, AFAIR. The combination had to include a loop jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kOLzvxxm8

She even did a triple loop in combination, something I don't remember seeing her do in her prime.

Note how super supportive the audience is of her!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-08-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Three years straight and she can not even make it to her Nationals. Who the heck is funding her??????? And she is still in search of that perfect program? I gave it up at 19 and got a doctorate. She's still clawing for it, and it's funny how cordial they are being about it. Fumie is a delusional mess. Poor Fumie...
    So basically the whole reason for this thread is that you're bitter and twisted that you gave up on skating to get a doctorate. How's that working out for you? Clearly you're not happy. There was no reason for you to stop skating, you know.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Um no, Karne. You have a lot of false assumptions, dear one. That's all I have to say to you. But have a blessed day. And Doris, shouldn't that go under a personal attack???? I thought we raised the bar over FSU??? This is just the same old same old.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

It was a nice story. Here's her SP. Since it is 1994, the solo jump was a required double flip, AFAIR. The combination had to include a loop jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kOLzvxxm8

She even did a triple loop in combination, something I don't remember seeing her do in her prime.

Note how super supportive the audience is of her!
    Thank you Doris for that youtube clip! I loved Elaine since I was eight years old. I thought she was robbed in Sarajevo. She was clearly better than Roz.

I think what is a bit disconcerting about poor Fumie is that she seems to be dreaming the impossible dream. She talks about the Olympics, a medal. And I think any normal person in their mid 30s should be saying "Isn't it awesome that I am still sort of an elite? I don't train for medals, I train to keep my body slamming and to show how even in your 30s you can still strive for your best". That is the difference with Elaine's comeback, she outspokenly said she didn't come back for the Olympics or skating glory but to prove to herself she is still a champion in her heart, and man did she succeed in that. Her programs were WONDERFUL. And I believe you can be a champion even placing 9th in your regionals. Fumie appears to still be searching for a childhood dream. It is very sad, and if she changed her mantra to "I just love to compete and stay in shape" it would be IMO more palatable. Instead it is still all about the Olympics, the medal, the excuses for a poor showing, etc. It has made her a laughing stock.

just call me K or Art jockey
    [...] And I think any normal person in their mid 30s should be saying "Isn't it awesome that I am still sort of an elite? [...] It has made her a laughing stock.
    You go and do your own thing, Fumie. Don't be "normal", be unique. That's a nice thing about life, not having to say what other people think you should be saying or what other people think you should be doing and how. And even if you don't make Nationals again, you tried on your own terms, what's there to laugh at?

Custom Title
    If it makes Fumie happy to continue skating and she is not bankrupting anyone because of it, what is the harm? And if she is not unhappy because she is not reaching what she dreams of, why shouldn´t she do what she enjoys of doing? Fumie is the only person who has the right to decide what is best for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    If it makes Fumie happy to continue skating and she is not bankrupting anyone because of it, what is the harm?
    Agree.

Custom Title
    The Fumie Sorority : Fumie and??????? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    This year, immediately post Olympics, would be the time to try to resuscitate any ice shows or pro competitions, provided any skaters at the Olympics catch the imagination of the audience. Scott may have been laying the ground work, but may not have completed the project yet.
    True, but a couple of years ago we heard a lot of buzz, even into last season and now not a peep. Makes me think it fell through.

Thanks, Mathman! To dispel the Spokane gloom yesterday I lit a fire in the fireplace, made home made chili, a Margaretta, and put on the 2009 Worlds LA ladies long on the telly...one of the best ladies comps I ever attended...and I wondered what ever happened to Fumie....and found this thread.....it seems to have always taken awhile for her face to come alive in her programs but I really enjoyed watching your link!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It seems like only yesterday…2006 Olympics SP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8RNoX5Catw

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    ...I lit a fire in the fireplace, made home made chili, a Margaretta, and put on the 2009 Worlds LA ladies long on the telly...one of the best ladies comps I ever attended…
    Just in case you missed the short…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYdlFIhtgU

Sorry for hijacking this Fumie thread. Hey, where is GS stalwart Seanibu, our resident Fumie fan club president?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Just in case you missed the short…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYdlFIhtgU
    Oh Yeah.....Saw her live do her Bond Girl SP at Lake Placid less than a year latter and her long also, of course, and her LP live at London Ontario CA this year.....that LP made the whole trip to London worth the effort....as well as our ladies getting three spots at the Olys. But the nice thing about skating is, if we are in awe of someone like YU-Na, we can still appreciate the Fumies of the skating world....
    or, in the case of this evening....the 2010 version of Mirai Nagasu....hang the URs.....I love this program....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJX0_QqCTE

Banned
    I think what is a bit disconcerting about poor Fumie is that she seems to be dreaming the impossible dream. She talks about the Olympics, a medal. And I think any normal person in their mid 30s should be saying "Isn't it awesome that I am still sort of an elite?
    Exactly. It is one thing to shoot for the stars, but when you set such insanely out of touch with reality goals for yourself while still competing at that age, it is a troubling sign. It would be one thing if it was just for personal challenge, but she instead seems to have navigated completely through the boundaries of what is an almost scary fantasy World she has fully invested herself into.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast