Central Ontario Sectionals 2013 2014 | Golden Skate

Central Ontario Sectionals 2013 2014

trains

On the Ice
rumour has it that Patrick Chan has withdrawn. Does anyone know if it's true?

Coriana

On the Ice
Acfording to a source on FSU Patrick's being listed was just automatic- as he is registered or whatever the term would be - as being from COS. He was never expected to skate as he has a bye. So, if you're worried that he has withdrawn because something is wrong, there's no need. He skates in France next week, so this would not have been part of the plan.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I did wonder why he was listed at all. It would be rare for a US skater with a bye to go to regionals or sectionals.

martipellow2

Rinkside
Does anyone know why Alexandra Najarro withdrew from Senior Women? She was on the list, but now not on Starting Order. She competed in Nice a couple of weeks ago, and didn't do well. I wonder if this is why she has withdrawn? But I wouldn't think she has a bye to Challenge, because she didn't compete last year.

hohoho

On the Ice
Does anyone know why Alexandra Najarro withdrew from Senior Women? She was on the list, but now not on Starting Order. She competed in Nice a couple of weeks ago, and didn't do well. I wonder if this is why she has withdrawn? But I wouldn't think she has a bye to Challenge, because she didn't compete last year.

I believe the only way she can get to Challenge is with a medical bye from Skate Canada.

nadster

Final Flight
I believe the only way she can get to Challenge is with a medical bye from Skate Canada.

Najarro got a senior B which gives her an automatic bye to challenge.

The rules for byes are this

Byes to nationals go to those who got a medal at seniors last year, those who got a senior GPF assignment and those who made the JGPF.

Byes to challenge ( but not to nationals ) go to anybody with a JGP or senior B assignment.

martipellow2

Rinkside
Thanks. That's really interesting. I would have thought she'd want to get in an extra competition to try out her programs, and get as much experience in the buildup to nationals, but maybe after a disappointing performance in Nice she's a bit battle-scarred.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Acfording to a source on FSU Patrick's being listed was just automatic- as he is registered or whatever the term would be - as being from COS. He was never expected to skate as he has a bye. So, if you're worried that he has withdrawn because something is wrong, there's no need.

I did wonder why he was listed at all. It would be rare for a US skater with a bye to go to regionals or sectionals.

Re the confusion earlier over Chan:

In the hopes of avoiding another kerfuffle next year over any other Canadian elite, I will add my two cents at this late date. (Sorry for not getting around to it a few days ago.)

The gist of a tweet from @SkateCanadaCOS:
" ... he must register for the event, but has a bye so he will not be competing!"
https://twitter.com/SkateCanadaCOS/status/398183634231779329 (Nov 6)

My hunch is that all sections of Skate Canada have (and have previously had) the same requirement to register, even for those who have byes.
I seem to recall from a very recent year that Virtue/Moir were registered for Western Ontario sectionals, that Chan at that time too was registered for Central Ontario, etc. These instances also were just standard operating procedure, regardless of byes.​

ETA:
I do realize that a poorly informed entity other than COS had put out a misleading promo regarding Chan that was the catalyst for the worst of the confusion. Hope that kind of third-party snafu will never happen again, but in case it does, I hope that it will not stir up the same misunderstanding on GS and the like.​