Just curious... If Sonia Henie only did single jumps... | Golden Skate

Just curious... If Sonia Henie only did single jumps...

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I was always under the impression that everyone else was doing singles as well, with perhaps the exception of Cecilia Colledge of GBR (didn't she do a double of some type?). I could be completely wrong of course (which happens often), but that is what I have always thought. And, Henie was an ambitious/driven skater that had the "package" that was popular during the 20-30s.

lulu

Final Flight
I recall correctly, when Sonja did a single axel(?) people thought it was unladylike. Which means I'm sure they would be having a heart attack if they saw some of the triple jumps done today!:eek:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The First double jump(women): Cecilia College(GB), 1936.

Sonja was very talented. Here is some info:

"Upon receiving a pair of skates for her sixth birthday, Norwegian entertainer Sonja Henie decided to forego a dancing career for a life on the ice. To refine her technique, Henie continued taking ballet lessons, at one point studying with a former teacher of Anna Pavlova. "

Also, figures counted then as well. She was also probably excellent at executing figures.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I have to laugh at this question!

Anyway, Cecilia Colledge did the first double jump by a lady, a Salchow in 1937, one year after Sonja won her 3rd Oly, 10th worlds and turned pro.

Figures counted for something like 60% of the score, and since it wasn't called "figure jumping" back then, spins, spirals, MITF, choreo, etc... were all counted in the scoring of the free skating program.

Tove

On the Ice
what made Sonja the star, was that she took the sport further, she was the one who started to skate in shorter skirts, instead of the ancle length ones that the other ladies used. She created she whole package, with music and costume and choreography put together, something that was new (f.i. her swan number) and she was very artistically as well as athletically superb. She was the complete package...with tons of charisma, so I guess that's what made her so popular:)

As pointed out by the previous posts. No one was doing doubles at the time. Sonia had the 'Whole Package". The Whole Package used to count the most before figure skating became figure jumping.

Joe

I always thought that in those days the only thing that really counted was the accuracy of the figures. All the rest was just for show after the contest had been decided. Am I wrong about that?

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Am I wrong about that?

Yes.

They were only worth 60%.

At the 1936 Olys, or so the story goes, Sonja was in 1st after the figures, but only by the slightest lead over Cecilia Colledge. She had to win the FS in order to win her 3rd title. Enraged, Sonja tore the offending results sheet from the bulletin board.

Sonja, like Peggy after her, were not only excellent figure skaters but always won the FS with beautiful and innovative programs. No one turns figures into a multi-million dollar movie career. Sonja and Peggy built huge leads with the figures, but it was thier free skating that led them to become huge pro stars and icons. Trixi Scuba is the undisputed queen of figures, but no one ever gave up their saturday night to pay to see this lady free skate.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Henie wasn't Colledge's only problem, with teammate Taylor besting CC on many occasions.

Henie was certainly no angel. When your step-daughter, your personal assitant, your former rivals, your former skating show co-stars, your former Hollywood co-stars and your former promoter all gang together to bad mouth you as a b!tch-on-wheels in a documentary, it's not saying too much about your character, IMHO.

Cooledge however always struck me as a little too full of herself in interviews.

Johar

Medalist
I never knew she was doing only single jumps! I learn something new here everytime I come in.

I also have read she was sorta a...rhymes with witch but starts with a "b."

soogar

Record Breaker
The skates were really primitive in those days, I think that a modern skater would have a hard time doing a double jump in those.

mpal2

Final Flight
Actually, they are the same skates. The amount of material over the ankle has changed. And I got this straight from a pretty good source.

At Nationals I watched the security men kick Dick Button out of the judges seating area during practices. I told my friend the story and then forgot about it. The next thing we knew, Dick Button was sitting next to us. He had forgotten his schedule and wanted to know who was in the practice groups.

We were fortunate enough to chat with him a little bit and my friend had a miniature skate that he signed for her. It was one of the old fashioned ones with the boot up to the calf. Dick started telling us the story of skates. They are using the same technology today with the major change being in the length of the boot.

We asked him what he thought of the competition this year and he was very wishy washy in answering his thoughts about the ladies. The most he said about it was that it would be a great competition and he was looking forward to seeing it.

It was a fun Nationals moment. I didn't think to ask him to sign my program. I'm such a dolt. :sheesh: I have Peggy Fleming's autograph from last year and it would have been nice to get Dick's this year.