NHK 2013 Articles Reports Photos Videos & Fluff | Golden Skate

NHK 2013 Articles Reports Photos Videos & Fluff

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
My post is total fluff, but I just HAVE to say I'm excited about every discipline in NHK! Just ready to see pretty much every entrant, especially those who are on at least their second event to see how their programs are progressing.

AND

@golden411 - hope you see this thread -- I'm loving your current avatar. Is that an Akita or a Shiba Inu? Cute cute cute

caitie

Medalist
Just popping in to say I'm so excited for this competition! Hopefully my Internet will cooperate and I'll be able to stream it live!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

@golden411 - hope you see this thread -- I'm loving your current avatar. Is that an Akita or a Shiba Inu? Cute cute cute

Thx, rallycairn. The sweet doggie is one of many in the photos that Akiko Suzuki tweeted this week.

I was assuming that the cutie I chose for my avatar is a Shiba, but I don't really know.
Does s/he look like an Akita to you? (And would size be the only indicator of one vs. the other?)

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
English translation of practice session of male skaters - http://live.sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/l...skate_all/1904.

Men's Short Program Entrants

The practice group 1
1. Konstantin MENSHOV RUS
2. Sergei VORONOV RUS
3. Nobunari ODA JPN
4. Takahito MURA JPN
5. Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN

The practice group 2
6. Jeremy ABBOTT USA
7. Adam RIPPON USA
8. Javier FERNANDEZ
9. Max AARON USA

Men’s practice starts.

Each skater gets the feel for ice as they skate during the initial 6 minutes practice. Oda and Mura each succeeded in quad jumps.

MENSHOV’s practice session with his SP music: He prepared to jump 3A, but did not jump. He primarily practiced on step sequences. Checked with his coach, but he did not practice any jumps at all.

VORONOV’s practice session with SP music: he attempted a 3S, which was underrotated. Attempted a quad but his body was tilted during the jump. Showed good musicality and intricate step sequence. He concluded his practice with spins.

MURA’s practice session with his SP music, Minnie the Moocher by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
Jumpin' Jack by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: He stumbled on a 4T but succeeded on a 3A. He concluded his practice with spins.
Translator’s note: Mura did not particularly skated well at his last GP outing (Skate Canada, the last placement with the total score of 188.53). Let’s hope he does it better here, though he doesn’t seem to have regained consistent 4Ts…

ODA’s practice session with his SP music, Wilhelm Tell Overture by Giacochino Rossini: He successfully jumpted 4T3T jump combination. His subsequent 3A was underrotated. Oda attempt another 3A, but ended up with a single axel jump. He successfully jump another 4T. Oda continued to practice jumps, demonstrating that he’s been skating well.

TAKAHASHI’s practice session with his FP music, Beatles medley: He primarily checked on the ice condition. Dai prepared for several jump take-off poses but did not attempt any jumps. Demonstrated intricate step sequences toward the end of his practice, but no jump practice at all.
After the conclusion of practice sessions with each skater’s music, skaters continue to practice jumps and other elements. Takahashi attempted on a 3A but stumbled, however, he succeeded on a subsequent 3T. He then landed a 3Lz. Oda landed on a 4T. He then attempted two 3As; one was underroted but the other he beautifully landed.

The end of the 1st group’s practice session.

The second group starts the practice session. Music practice order: Abbot, Rippon, Fernandez, and Aaron.

ABBOT’s practice session with his FP music, Exogenesis Symphony Number 3 (Redemption) by Muse: He attempted a 3S, but ended up jumping a single S. He attempted another 3S, and this time he landed a beautiful 3S. He also attempted a 4T, but his body was titled and ended up with one hand down on the ice. He concluded his session with a step sequence.

RIPPON’s practice session with his FP music, Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun: Adam attempted a 4Lz, but was underroted and ended up with a 3Lz. He then successfully landed a 3F+3T combination. He also jumped a beautiful 3Roppon Lz.
Translator’s note: Adam continue to skate well?

FERNANDEZ’s practice session with his FP music, Peter Gun & Harlem Nocturne: He lost his balance during a 4S attempt. Javier appeared to wonder why. However, he nailed a beautiful 3A. He then successfully a 4T. He spent the rest of the session with spins and step sequences, as if to be evaluate the ice condition.

AARON’s practice session with his FP music, Carmen (contemporary arrangement): He fell on a 4T, but landed on a 3Lo. Max then lost his balance in his attempt on a 4S and ended up with a 2S. A 3A+2T combination was successfully landed. He then landed on a 3F, and concluded his session with spins.

The end of men’s practice session. Lady’s practice sessions will start at 16:20PM Japan time.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I was assuming that the cutie I chose for my avatar is a Shiba, but I don't really know.
Does s/he look like an Akita to you? (And would size be the only indicator of one vs. the other?)

That is an Akita. Shiba Inu would be half that size.
From look, virtually no difference except the size.
Temperament of the two is different enough to tell.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thx, rallycairn. The sweet doggie is one of many in the photos that Akiko Suzuki tweeted this week.

it is such a closeup shot I couldn't be sure. One of the Japanese spitz breeds, anyhow, and a cutie with the flower!

Go NHK skaters!

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
English translation of practice session of female skaters - http://live.sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/l...skate_all/1904.

Ladies' practice start.

The 1st practice group music practice starting order: Gold, Nagasu, Asada, Miyahara, and Suzuki.

Gold’s practice session with her SP music, Three Preludes by George Gershwin: She fell on a 3Lz. The next 2A was successfully landed. The final spins were also well done.

Nagasu’s practice session with her SP music, The Man I Love: Mirai successfully landed an initial 3 jump. (the article does not specify if the jump was underroted.) She concluded her practice session with spins.

Asada’s practice session with her SP music, Nocturne in E flat major op. 9, no. 2: She fell on a 3A. The next 3F attempt ended up being a 2F. 3Lo+2Lo combination was beautifully landed. Mao landed a 3A while she was practicing during Mirai’s music practice session.

Miyahara’s practice session with her FS music, Poeta: She successfully landed triple-triple jump combination. 2A jump was also successful. She then nailed 2A-2T combination. She only missed one jump during the entire practice session, demonstrating her excellent preparation and conditioning for her senior debut.

Suzuki’s practice session with her FS music, The Phantom of the Opera: Akiko successfully landed 2A-3T-2T (wonder if the article author misconstrued the jump combo as 2A-2T-2T). 3Lz-2T combo was also neatly landed. She skated her music session cleanly, the indication that she was skating well.

This concludes the 1st practice group session. The reporter notes that Asada landed three 3As out of four attempts.

Leonova’s practice session with her SP music, Pirates of the Caribbean (didn’t know that she went back to her 11/12 season program, though it makes sense): Her attempt at 3S was wobbly and ended up being a 2S. Leonova appeared to be puzzled by it and went to consult her coach. She then attempted at a 3S again, this time she landed the jump. She spent the rest of her practice session carefully getting the feel of the ice.

Radionova’s practice session with her FS music, Frida (soundtrack): She loses her balance while attempting a 3F. She stepped out the next 3Lz-1Lo attempt. Although 2A was successful, she fell on a 3Lo. The reporter wonders that Radionova is not skating too well.

Gedevanishvili’s practice session with her FS music, Giselle: Elena was unsuccessful on 3Lz and 3S. She also fell on 2A. She then popped the next jump, 3S. Elena again tried on a 2A but ended up being a single A. Unfortunately Elena missed many jumps during this practice session.

Marchei’s practice session with her FS music, Nyah (from "Mission Impossible" soundtrack): She landed a beautiful 3Lz. 2A-3F combination was also successful. She then nailed 3Lz, 3S-2T combination, demonstrating that she is skating quite well.

This concludes the Lady’s practice session.