Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World and Olympic chokers and their opposites

World and Olympic chokers and their opposites

It is a mental game you must win before you even skate.

Who are your favorite chokers? And the reverse-what choker pulled off the skate needed and medaled?
    For me MK was most talented skater to choke in SLC. Nagano was perfect.

I expected Paul Wylie to choke and 1992 the stars aligned. Wow-thrilling.

Who else do you recall in this category?

Oh, Debi Thomas-huge surprise-I never saw that coming. Witt Manley were stellar that night-so hard to watch.

Who else? help me memory here. Galindo was a singles choker...then his last skate in San Jose blew everyones mind. not Olympic skate but wow-rags to riches 1996.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Jill Trenary for sure. Slutskaia. Petrenko. Browning. Thomas, Sumners.

Custom Title
    Chokers would include Kurt Browning big time - two olympics and favoured for gold and got nothing. Maybe Michelle Kwan usually so consistent. Linda Frantianne, Rosalyn Sumners and Debi Thomas were three American girls favoured for gold and all fell short - opening up on jumps or missing and lack that spark almost in the same vein of MichellKwan. On the other side Paul Wylie, Oksana Baiul, boitano to a point, Liz Manley, Witt (she somehow even fluked out in 94 eating many good skaters with far more arsenal of jumps than her, Lu Chen and Candelero all come to mind..

Kurt, yes, huge choker, 4 world titles and no Oly medal. Major talent. How is this even possible? Sumners didn't chioke, but Debi was a mess.

Tonya chokes in two Olympics. Such a waste.

Linda didn't choke either.

I don't like to use the term"choker," but for the Olympics, Kurt & Todd were the saddest heartbreaks for me. Thank goodness both have moved on to have long/successful pro careers.

Custom Title
    Yeah, just because someone didn't win doesn't mean that he/she choked. When it's by a tenth of a point or thereabouts (as with the Brians, Nancy/Oksana, and Michelle/Tara), this can hardly be called a choke. It's the vagaries of judging. Debi Thomas did seem to fall apart after her first mistake, and that heartbreaking performance might be called a choke, but like Iluvtodd, I'm not really at home with using the term choker for people who work so hard and accomplish so much.

Michelle has a fine record and two Olympic medals, but Kurt is the real Olympic heartbreak. Thank goodness the rest of his career, both amateur and pro, was so unparallelled that it doesn't matter. Todd also more than made up for his Olympic disappointments.

Does it require a meltdown at the Olympics to qualify as a "choker"? The only one in recent memory is Kostner in Vancouver, when she fell on almost every jump.

Custom Title
    Kostner is the biggest chocker at 06, 10 olympics. Hope she gets a medal at upcoming olympics though

In the rising to the occasion category:

Rudy Galindo, 1996 U.S. Nationals.

Elizabeth Manley, 1988 Olympics.

Here you go, an Olympic choker, and another one. Both from the same Olympics, no less!

Wait. You're referring to choker in the non-fashion sense? I don't think that's really necessary.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I don't like to use the term"choker," but for the Olympics, Kurt & Todd were the saddest heartbreaks for me. Thank goodness both have moved on to have long/successful pro careers.
    Ya. Choking is not the end of the world. Nice lesson. We can move on, and it happens even to the best and most decent.

As much as I loved Kurt Browning's skating and admire his decency, I just can't get those chokes out of my mind. It was certainly not a mitigating factor that his two Olympic chokes were only two years apart. We had not even gotten over the first choke when he backed it up with the second choke.

92 was understandable, he was really injured (and wouldn't get his back injury fixed, really, until after 94)
    94 was the heartbreaker, the short was just mindboggling. But he ended it on a good note.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Totally agree. It is a terrible term born of the notion that winning is the only thing in sports.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast