Olympic moments you will not forget | Golden Skate

Olympic moments you will not forget

hurrah

Medalist
Torvill and Dean's OGM. There was, of course, no YouTube back then so that in itself (that you were likely not to be able to ever see it if you missed the performance) made the experience even more profound.
I have to say that when I saw their performance on YouTube years later, it was not as special as I remembered it! :slink: By the time I saw it on YouTube, I had been spoilt by more technically challenging programs.
I must admit I remember seeing Grishuk and Platov's Jailhouse Rock and just being blown away by their technical superiority. I wasn't regularly watching figure skating then, but Jailhouse Rock is something that sticks in my memory.
Still, Torvill and Dean's program was the first figure skating program that I saw that I believe deserved to be called an artistic performance, through and through.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Dorothy Hamill, Katerina 88; Tara 98; Sarah 2002; Brian Boitano 88, Midori Ito 88, Brian Orser 88; Gordieva/ Grinkov 88 SP & LP (For me, the best pair performances of all time)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Virtue and Moir 2010 FD. I actually had my eyes closed during some of it, afraid to watch since I was worried that one of them would fall. I even felt sick with nerves for some of it!

Icey

Record Breaker
Elizabeth Manley's long and Paul Wylie's too and John Curry's win.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Dorothy Hamill, Katerina 88; Tara 98; Sarah 2002; Brian Boitano 88, Midori Ito 88, Brian Orser 88; Gordieva/ Grinkov 88 SP & LP (For me, the best pair performances of all time)

Yep, Eddie. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 88 were perfection, and she was gorgeous with that megawatt smile.

http://youtu.be/0B0tSnQKzwo

I know the pair was all about Katya, but Sergei was a gorgeous skater himself. So rock solid. Try watching just him, so smooth, and strong. A hunk of gorgeous Russian hair, face, bootay, and I'm not sure what undergarments he may or may not have been wearing, but I'd get out the rulebook to see if he deserved a costume deduction. :) Just perfect.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yuna's win at Vancouver 2010, of course. For delivering two perfect performances at the most important competition in her athletic career.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 1976 singles champions, Dorothy Hamill and John Curry, were the greatest one-two punch in history.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh goodness, so many. Michelle and Tara 1998, Lu Chen 1998, Sarah 2002, Yagudin 2002, B&A 2006 (I didn't even watch or care about Ice Dance before B&A), D&W and V&M 2010, entire Ladies Competition 2010 (it was so amazing how many ladies actually had the programs of their lives in Vancouver), S&Z and P&T 2010 (P&T came out of their shell and S&Z got their long-awaited OGM). I would add Lysacek 2010 too, even though his skating is not my cup of tea, because he skated well and actually beat Plushenko. In the same vein, Plushenko 2006 was amazing, but not necessarily "memorable" for me personally.

Well, I was too young to remember 1994, so that's all I've got. :biggrin:

I hope that when I return to this thread after Sochi, I will be able to add a few more memorable moments to my list. Wishing all the skaters the best of luck!

kovarkovaelegant

Rinkside
Klimova & Ponomarenko finally getting their long awaited and much deserved Olympic Gold in 92. After it looked like their hopes might be dead after France Duchensays beat them for World title year before Olympics were going to be in France. How horrible that would be for them not to get it after waiting 8 years since their first Olympic medal for it.

Usova & Zhulin missing out on their long awaited Olympic Gold by .1 to Pasha & Platov. So sad. Torvill & Dean coming back was seen to be their biggest problem, but it was the Russian #2 who denied them, and went on to become legends.

Paul Wylie's surprise silver in 1992 Albertville. What a great momemt for him.

Yagudin winning the Olympic Gold he deserved and cementing her career as complete with an amazing skate and some perfect 6.0s. So special.

The Russians missing out on their hoped sweep and Slutskaya missing out on her long awaited Olympic Gold by falling in Turin. So sad especialy after she already threw the gold away in Salt Lake City.

Alex D

Record Breaker
There are quite a few moments that stuck in my head. Sasha Cohan 2002 was just beautiful, but so was Sarah when she laid down the flowers at Ground Zero. Kati in 1994 who didn't win a medal, I was crying all evening because of that. To my defense I still was a child back then, but the crying I still do sometimes...

In general both 2002 and 1994 were highly controversial in my opinion. I never agreed with the results there in the Lady´s bracket. Also what happened to Tanja Harding was a real shame.

But I will also never forget Tara Lipinski who just won a gold medal and then kissed goodbye to do movies. That's quite some tradition at the US I suppose, win gold and go home :D

RABID

Final Flight
How old were you when Kennedy died??

I was eight and it barely registered for me. Now, the Cuban missile crisis, THAT was very memorable even to a young child trying to gleem what the heck everyone was nervous about.

RABID

Final Flight
Yuna's win at Vancouver 2010, of course. For delivering two perfect performances at the most important competition in her athletic career.

I loved NBC's camera work during her skate. Their different angles and focus, showed her lovely footwork to best effect and then, most especially, when it closed in on her lovely face at the conclusion of her final spin when she knew she had done it. As a Canadian I am supposed to be thinking hockey triumphs by our men and women but it was the grace and gratitude exhibited by Yu Na during that standing ovation that I shall never forget. I have seen many Olympics but that one in Vancouver was the one for me.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
I loved NBC's camera work during her skate. Their different angles and focus, showed her lovely footwork to best effect and then, most especially, when it closed in on her lovely face at the conclusion of her final spin when she knew she had done it. As a Canadian I am supposed to be thinking hockey triumphs by our men and women but it was the grace and gratitude exhibited by Yu Na during that standing ovation that I shall never forget. I have seen many Olympics but that one in Vancouver was the one for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Yuna, but that moment on the ice immediately after her Free Skate, especially her reaction, really got to me. It is sort of reminiscent of those moments after Klimova & Ponomarenko's Free Dance in the '92 Olympics, in that a burden was lifted-- yes, that impassive yet remorseless mechanism that keeps one obligated to do the things one does, and the corresponding sensation of having actually done it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If you give a few tries, you will see the real YuNa, least packaged in her Ex in 2010. She was not acting, she was skating to say thank you with her heart. rare glances into soul of very reserved girl. I was just like her, so I hope we will see her doing some great EX programs. I hope she decides to skate until 2018, as I feel she has depths yet unplumbed. Meditaion was really more YuNa than Bond, and even more so her than Gershwin, IMHO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yep, Eddie. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 88 were perfection, and she was gorgeous with that megawatt smile.

http://youtu.be/0B0tSnQKzwo

I know the pair was all about Katya, but Sergei was a gorgeous skater himself. So rock solid. Try watching just him, so smooth, and strong. A hunk of gorgeous Russian hair, face, azz, and I'm not sure what undergarments he may or may not have been wearing, but I'd get out the rulebook to see if he deserved a costume deduction. :) Just perfect.

I am not sure what you are getting at sometimes but I have a feeling we should take a shower or close our eyes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Moments to remember.. so many. Tai and Randy not being able to go on. irina rodina winning her final OGM. Joannie Rochette trying to continue skate the short program after the death of her mother. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 1988 long program. Yuna in Vancouver. Klimova and Pomanrenko winning Ogm in 1992 so emotional. The Battle of the Brians. Oddlyh Liz Manlehy's 1988 freeskate - such joy. tonya Harding shoelace breaking and Josee chouinard forced to skate early. Oksana Baiul upsetting nancy Kerrigan after being pummelled (cut) by Sawchenko. S and P and B and S for their performances and oly drama. virtue and Moir winning OGM. The devastation of Kurt Browning and the disappointment of Michelle kwan. The screams of Lipinksi and Hughes. The agony of defeat of Debi Thomas.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Watching Mao land 3 triple axels. Seeing Todd Eldridge force a smile for Tara after sad kiss and cry for him that Olympics. Seeing Brian lose to other Brian-after a truly great LP. This should have been a tie. Seeing Evan win and his great firebird sp. Liz Manley giving the skate of her life. Yuna being crowned after clean, great skating, Joannies heartbreak..and Kerrigan skating her best-it was thrilling. Oksana was a waif in that sp, watching Michelle perform in Nagano, two great programs for ever to recall.

May we have skating like last Oly. Rachael and Mirai were superb, unforgettable.