Olympic moments you will not forget | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympic moments you will not forget

aftertherain

Record Breaker
My favorite was Shen and Zhao winning gold. It was magical for so many reasons. Seeing their coach break down into tears even before his last pair skated, knowing one of them would give him the gold medal redemption for his embarrassing experience as an athlete several years ago. Seeing them skate a very good program after all they had been through with injuries; I cannot this of a pair who has persisted through more to get gold than they did.

I loved that moment in the Kiss & Cry, when they were waiting for the scores, and when the scores came up and everyone realised they'd won... and they didn't at first. "Wow," I thought, "they've won an Olympic gold, and no reaction - what cool customers!" And then they realised.... Lovely, lovely moment. :)

Yes. Oh my goodness, YES. When Shen yelled out in joy, I did too! :)

One moment I'll never forget is that awful fall on the 4S that the Zhangs had in Turin. And then they resume and she lands a 2A+3T (which is insanely difficult for a pairs skater, heck even many female singles skaters at the time) and a practically clean skate. It really displayed what the Olympics are all about and how exciting they can be (plus, it totally stole T/M's thunder... I'll never forget Tatiana's face :laugh:).

Wasn't the first time a Chinese pair stole T/M's thunder. Remember 2004 Worlds? S/Z blew them straight out of the water with their free skate. But because of the 6.0 system, S/Z could only manage silver. Kind of like what Z/Z did, don't you think?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Joannie Rochette's amazing gutsy superhuman SP. It was great. Her LP tho flawed was amazing too. It shows how incredibly trained and focused she was, always on the scene with Mao and Yuna to content with. I'd love to see her come back.

Carmen95

Rinkside
Well... definetly Joannie Rochette in 2010 fighting and skating for her mum... She was so strong... I loved her OG exhibition...
Oh, 2002 pairs competition with the two gold medals... definetly sth to remember...
Shen/Zhao finally getting their well deserved gold while Savchenko/Szolkowy being mocked by their coach because of the bronze and looking so unfriendly at the Medal Ceremony...
Virtue/Moir, simply beautiful...
2006, Sasha Cohens great recover in the LP...

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Good Memories
Yagudin 2002
Lysacek 2010-Jumping up and down on my sofa!
Shen & Zhao 2010-Finally!
Rochette 2010-amazing to see her win a medal and pull though after all that happened

Bad memories
Michelle 2002-Broke my heart :*(
Paris competition 2002-and not just for the normal reasons. I still maintain that Ina & Zimmerman wuz robbed.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Joannie Rochette's amazing gutsy superhuman SP. It was great. Her LP tho flawed was amazing too. It shows how incredibly trained and focused she was, always on the scene with Mao and Yuna to content with. I'd love to see her come back.

I will never forget Joannie's performance in 2010. I always loved her, but I have a whole new level of respect and admiration for after 2010. I have no idea how she was able to keep her focus and skate so well. Superhuman is the word for it. Liz Manley and Jennifer Robinson (The CTV commentators) couldn't commentate while watching Joannie in the SP, they were crying. Scott Hamilton was really choked up after her LP. It shows how close the figure skating community is. When she hit her closing pose and started crying I just lost it, too and started crying. I wanted to jump through the TV and give her a big hug. I think I cried also during the medal ceremony. She is one tough and determined skater. I want her to comeback, so her final Olympics is one she can enjoy. She's definitely in shape enough to do it. OK, I'm done gushing.

Other moments
2006- Zhang/Zhang having that awful fall in their LP and the attempted throw 4S then not only finishing their performance but skating weil. Incredible!
1998- Tara/Michelle showdown: So close! Michelle's maturity and grace in what must have been disappointing for her is what really endeared me to her. I liked her before but I was even more won over by her classiness.
Lulu's comeback and bronze medal in 1998- So emotional and heartwarming
Elvis Stojko in 1998: To skate like that with such a nasty injury and hide it right until the end, he was the epitome of mental toughness and focus! Too bad that's when his career turned
V/M and D/W in 2010- Again, could have gone either way and while I'm Canadian so was rooting for V/M, I'd have been just as happy had D/W win.
Ilia Kulik in 1998: Classic OGM performance. He deserved his win.
Sarah Hughes come-from-behind victory in 2002: No one saw it coming, but she earned it. She was always a good competitor who rose to meet the occasion in her peak.
Yu-Na Kim in 2010: It was her competition to win or lose, and she sealed the deal with her flawless performances.
Shen/Zhao's comeback in 2006, winning the bronze against all odds
Piang/Tong and Shen/Zhao going 1-2 in pairs in 2010
Arakawa's gold in 2006. Everything women skating should be. Power, elegance, technical content, maturity. She was there to win, right from the start, and she delivered.
Emily Hughes pure delight at just being at the Olympics in 2006
Alexei Yagudin OGM winning skate in 2002.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yagudin
Shen/Zhao getting OGM
Yuna
Tara v. Michelle --- sigh
Sarah v. Michelle --- sigh

Gigi13

On the Ice
Midori adding in the second triple axel and her beautiful smile afterwards and her Rain exhibition
Nancy Kerrigan coming back after that horrific incident and skating 2 clean programs
Oksana Baiul's Swan short program, it was gorgeous!
Chen Lu's comeback in 1998 omg I cried it was so beautiful
Michelle's Nagano performances, she was gorgeous and I'll never forget Lyra Angelica, she was so graceful and classy during those games and at that time I truly fell in love with her skating.
Tara's free program, it was pure joy and even though I'm not Tara fan I'm more of a Michelle fan I enjoyed her free program and it was amazing! Plus the Michelle vs. Tara showdown was fantastic!
Yauguin at the 2002 olympics it was so amazing!
Sasha recovering after two falls in her Romeo and Juliet freeskate
Yuna Kim being amazing during the Vancouver Olympics, I'll never forget her bond short program. I loved her reaction after her free skate
Mao landing three triple axels I was blown-away by her and it was amazing
Joannie's performance it was so heartbreaking and I was crying throughout her whole performance I admire and respect her for bravery it was amazing

That entire final six of the ladies' long program in 2010 was memorable. When I think of the high-quality skating and the coolness under pressure exhibited by all the skaters, it seems unbelievable.

szidon

On the Ice
- Torvill & Dean 1984
- Battle of the Carmens 1988
G&G 1988
- Baiul 1994
G&G 1994
- G&P 1998
- Yagudin 2002
- Yu-Na Kim 2010
- Virtue/Moir 2010

I'll never forget these moments.